Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Single speeders, what 27.5+ rim?
  • Brainflex

So far I have cracked two WTB scraper i40 rims on the spoke holes and am in need of a recommendation for a 40mm internally wide rim that will last more than a year. 32 hole please and from somewhere that will ship to New Zealand.

Also any recommendations for a 135mm cassette type ss rear hub? I may as well upgrade that at the same time.

Thanks

sillyoldman

DT XM551

240s hub is nice too but very spendy

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I’m running an Industry Nine Backcountry 360 setup. Very good wheels but very expensive

TimP
    Free Member

I have the Halo Vapour 50’s which are 45mm internal so slightly bigger than you were looking at. I have cased a few landings and they are still going strong, but they are not light!

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Halo-Vapour-50-27-5–Rim_102357.htm

Del

Maybe look at the wtb asym i35? Otherwise there are lighter options from both DT Swiss, Newmen, and wtb if you’re prepared to spend.
    You don’t need larger than 35mm internal for 2.8 or 3.0 IMO.
    The scrapers are light but clearly not fit for use without washers or eyelits. I have a nipple pulling through the rim on a wheelset I have.

ajantom

Recently bought some Stan’s Baron wheels, very impressed so far, and the rims seem very sturdy.
    Think you can get them on their own.
    ‘Only’ 35mm internal, but running them with 3″ front and 2.8″ rear, and they feel spot on.

tuboflard

Very happy with my Velocity Dually rims on Hope hubs, never needed touching since built. I’ve got them in 29+ but same in 27.5, 39mm internal width.

TheGhost
    Free Member

On my single speed I run DT Swiss XM551 rims but recently I’ve preferred DT Swiss XM521s 35mm inner width with 2.6 tires. ( actually 2.5)

I found that the 40mm inner width Supports 2.8 Maxxis (actually 2.7) tires very well. DHF DHR2

When I rode the 2.8s tires on 35mm rims (WTB i35) I could feel them squirm And roll while riding hard. If you put more air in they squirm less but you loose some of the benefits.

My wheels

29mm inner = 2.4 DHR2 – 2.5 Assegai 29er
    35mm inner = 2.6 DHR2 – 2.6 DHF 27.5
    35mm inner = 2.6 HD – 2.6 MM. 27.5
    40mm inner = 2.8 DHR2 – 2.8 DHF 27.5

All my Maxxis tires are narrower than the stated ERTRO says. The Schwalbe tires are the correct width. It doesn’t bother me but it’s worth knowing.

Brainflex

Some good suggestions there, thanks. I use a 45mm rim for my 3.0 and a 40mm for my 2.8. I find that these suit my riding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Single speeders, what 27.5+ rim?’ is closed to new replies.