Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Single charger for multiple devices
  • wonderwhatitis
    Free Member

I have a combination of a phone that needs USB c, headphones that need micro USB and an iPad that uses lightning and I’m getting annoyed with packing loads of chargers for everything when I’m away with work. Ideally I’d like a couple of cables with multi adaptors on and a single charger. Any recommendations? The Belkin/Anker chargers are anywhere upto £50 odd,id rather keep it as cheap as possible without risking it all catching on fire!

molgrips
    Free Member

Anker. They aren’t £50. But you only need enough charging slots for the devices you want to charge simultaneously…

bensales
    Free Member

Second that.

I use one of these regularly for charging an iPad and iPhone simultaneously. Works great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D36RZFT/

Pyro
    tdog
    Free Member

They can be had trickle charging 12usb ports for like £7 off ebay nowadays

neila

IKEA multi charger has 3 usb outlets then add ya cables, get the cables from Primark for very little money. They seem to last pretty well, they also do one that is dual Lightening and Micro-USB.

Caher

Amazon basics version will do the same thing. I use one with multi plug for business and leisure travels.

spooky_b329

I’ve not looked for ages but another option are the ebay kits where you plug a magnetic plug into each device (and leave it in) and then the lead sticks to all the plugs. Never tried them myself.

reluctantjumper

I was recommended the Anker ones on here a few years ago for charging bike lights, GPS and phone in one handy size and it’s been perfect. Think I paid £22 for one with 8 USB ports.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They can be had trickle charging 12usb ports for like £7 off ebay nowadays

Thats a bit like playing Russian roulette mind. They went to range from shit to downright dangerous

andy5390

Been using one of these for a couple of years, no problems at all, for lights and Garmin charging.

Sadly no longer available

https://www.aldi.co.uk/white-5-port-charger-hub/p/073007098350101

Edit: There’s this on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/553006686

CountZero

I have a combination of a phone that needs USB c, headphones that need micro USB and an iPad that uses lightning and I’m getting annoyed with packing loads of chargers for everything when I’m away with work.

Shirley all of those use cables with a standard USB-A plug on one end? All you need is a charger with a bunch of USB-A sockets and the appropriate cable for each device, which can be left plugged in all the time.
    An alternative would be a multi-socket mains extension lead, with the appropriate number of wall-warts, usually supplied with the device, plugged in with the leads plugged into the warts. Job jobbed, the whole arrangement can be put into its own carry-bag for transport.

TiRed

Ikea three port has been fine. Otherwise Anker five port 40W for about £12 on Amazon. Or a laptop.

sadmadalan

We have a range of Anker chargers from 4 port to 10 port and they have been brilliant. Just charge what ever is plugged in and if they can cope with quick charging that works as well. They don’t reduce charge if multiple devices are left plugged in. It might not be the cheapest option, but it just works and continues to work.

johnnystorm

Make sure that if your phone is quickcharge compatible that you get a charger with at least one port that offers the right version.

I’ve had good experiences with Anker, Aukey, Tecknet and Ravpower. Also invest in decent cables as cheap crappy ones don’t charge as quickly.

oldtennisshoes

Inateck 3 Ports 45W USB C Charger with 2M/6.6ft Type C Cable, 30W USB C Port Compatible 2018 New MacBook Air, 2018 New iPad Pro 11″/12.9″, iPhone XS/X https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CM4LTRT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LB-.Db3G8RTWB

jkomo

Anker, I’d stay away from anything no brand from eBay.

Olly
    Free Member

another option are the ebay kits where you plug a magnetic plug into each device (and leave it in) and then the lead sticks to all the plugs. Never tried them myself.

Link

ive got them. They’re brilliant.get your phone within a cm of the cable and click, its on. big fan.

wonderwhatitis
    Free Member

Thanks all, I think IL go for one of the Anker chargers.

Olly: How much do the connectors stick out of the bottom of the phone? Just thinking it may annoy me being there all of the time?

Olly
    Free Member

They are 2mm deep, which is a bit of a nub on a naked phone, but it sticks out no further than my phone case, so i dont notice it.
    It is a rare earth magnet, so will attract keys, coins, metal filings, however the brass electrical connectors are 0.25mm recessed into the body, ive noticed no issue with shorting across the contacts, and ive never had “bad connection” issue with the cable either

similarly the cable end is magnetic, but i tend to use that to tack it onto my bedside lamp so i know where it is in the dark

It has a very bright green LED on the cable end, but i put some tape over the ones i use in the bedroom.

Connector works both ways up too, which is handy, and i believe the same cables can be used across all the connectors (USBC, lighting and MicroUSB)

wonderwhatitis
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I’ll see what reviews on the magnetic ones I can find but they’re looking good now.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have several of these around the house. Seem to work well.

4 Way Charger Amazon

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anker 4 way are spot on.

fossy

Got to be Anker for multiple devices

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    oldtennisshoes

@olly thanks for the heads up on those magnetic tips and cable. I bought my dad a phone which comes with a Micro-USB socket which he is struggling to get in the right orientation – failing eye sight, arthritic hands – that magenetic connector is going to make life much easier. Thanks.

tjmoore

Amps delivered per socket may be key and more so whether it can do that with all sockets in use drawing full power.

Depending what you want to charge.

A lot deliver a bit low for fast charging or only do on one socket. Some are 2A when some devices need slightly more.

Then a few cheapies don’t short out the data line so phones think they’re connected to a PC and default to 500mA which will be slow charge. You can get fast charge dongles if that’s the case (just an adapter that shorts or the data line).

Then you’ve got some devices like high spec tablets and laptops that have a USB cable but with their own charger can switch to a different voltage and current than in standard 5V USB and thus deliver more watts and fast charge.

takisawa2

Big Clive on YouTube stripped an Ikea charger & found it to be very well designed & made. They do seem to stand the test of time well.

In the past I have heat-shrinked the cable to connector join on the kids cables, they seem to stand up to abuse better.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Single charger for multiple devices’ is closed to new replies.