Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Sim only providers – who's least pants?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Time has come to leave Vodafone. First thought is that I can pick anyone as things can’t get any worse.

Had an ID Mobile SIM once but it didn’t work here so I assume nothing from Three will work.

Seems EE will work. Any reason to choose Plusnet over Virgin or the other way around? Anyone else to consider? A few hundred minutes and 2Gb of 4g should do it so should be able to get that for a tenner a month or less.

Potdog
    Free Member

GiffGaff seem pretty good.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m with EE and they’ve been great. Some good deals on at the moment, 20 Gb of high speed 4G data, unlimited texts and minutes for £21 a month.

Tiger6791

giffgaff is very good (runs on O2 so good coverage)

kelron
    Free Member

BT have very good prices if you have broadband with them, sometimes good deals even if you don’t.

They use the EE network so coverage is good, maybe a little worse than O2 depending on the area.

Jamie
    Free Member

GiffGaff have not been good in ages. Uncompetitive and slow speeds.

Do you want 12 month or rolling 1 month contract, OP?

jekkyl

I’ve had a faultless service with Tesco, on O2 network.

IHN

20 Gb of high speed 4G data, unlimited texts and minutes for £21 a month.

Yup, I have something like this with EE, seems okay.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Virgin coverage is good Giff gaff used to be the cheapest but i found the coverage patchy and the use of other services bandwidth meant if you are somewhere busy – a festival for example- it did not work as I guess they get less referential treatment
    That said it still seems to be good if you never go anywhere rural.

nbt

I moved from GiffGaff to Plusnet. Couple of hiccups in the first months but they were resolved, been fine since then. I find the coverage better than GiffGaff and prices certainly better

Furious

I’ve had a faultless service with Tesco, on O2 network.

Ditto, been with them for years. Customer Support (when needed) has also been excellent.

Daffy

GiffGaff have been great for me on 4G for ages.

surfer
    Free Member

What Daffy said.

alexxx
    Free Member

Three, 30gb, 12gb abroad, unlimited texts and 1000 minutes £16 a month with some pestering

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ve decided to give Plusnet a try. It’s a rolling monthly contract that gives me a bit more than I need, all fot £7 a month. Provided they’re not muppets, I can’t go wrong.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Three also good (payg for me). Can depend on location of course.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ve decided to give Plusnet a try. It’s a rolling monthly contract that gives me a bit more than I need, all fot £7 a month. Provided they’re not muppets, I can’t go wrong.

Just be aware they don’t allow texting to shortcode SMS which some banks, NHS services, charities and others use for confirmations/donations etc.

kcal

went from Vodafone to giffgaff a long time ago, now on plusnet – seem OK (EE rather than GG’s O2) and cost is really pretty low – such that with family of 4 we’re saving quite a bit every month..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just be aware they don’t allow texting to shortcode SMS which some banks, NHS services, charities and others use for confirmations/donations etc.

Wow, didn’t know that. Not sure how often I use them though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow, didn’t know that. Not sure how often I use them though.

Not many do. I only found out when my bank texted me a fraud warning and asked me to text back to confirm a purchase was made by me. It was then I realised I couldn’t. Life Mobile, who PlusNet took over, was the same. So guess they just kept the same policy in place.

I think it’s something to do with stopping people texting premium numbers or something.

Kryton57

Plusnet have been brilliant for me, even after finding a better promotional plan via money supermarket than the one I selected, they moved me across immediately. Brilliant service throughout.

I have a 5% monthly discount promo code for plusnet if anyone wants one. Email in profile.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve a dual sim phone, ee for calls, they’ve been great, generally. Giffgaff for data, absolutely brilliant.

I can also use ee for data and giffgaff for calls, giffgaff does calls well but ee are better, giffgaff is better at data.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went onto a Plusnet (EE) SIM only deal from an O2 PAYG one about…..2 hours ago. £6 a month for 1000 texts, 2000 mins & 1.5G data. (I’ve never even used data on my phone, don’t really need to).

Kryton57

£9 here on plusnet for unl calls, unl texts and 5gb data.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for someone to do 10GB for £10, but doesn’t seem to be happening.

Which is weird, as I currently have 20GB (rollovers) with Virgin on rolling month for £15. Prices seem to be going up 😯

Kryton57

Well yes. Like everything else.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well no. As data has gone down in cost, or you get more GB/TB for your money everywhere else.

Kryton57

But service costs have risen, with the service industry being just about the only growth industry.

As you can see by my example calls and texts are zero. Or that plan is better illustrated as proportionate. Yet we don’t know what proportion of the cost represents the service, what proportion is Tel and text and therefore what remains for data.

It could well be your paying a higher proportion of your plan toward data by % factor than others.

Eg, if my my data is £1 of the £9 I’m paying, the 6 X £1 you are paying for 4x the quantity appears poor value.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Sim only providers – who's least pants?’ is closed to new replies.