Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • SIM only deals, whats good?
  • AndyPaice
    Free Member

My mobile contract (O2) is up and I have a new handset SIM free. I’m after a SIM only deal with unlimited calls/texts with at least 1Gb data. Is it worth going 4G, or stick with 3G. Not in city centres much so not sure what level of 4G coverage I can get.

Anyone got any deals recently? Need to keep my existing number too.

The SIM only deals with 4G only seem available from EE / O2, or does anyone else do them? The O2 tarriffs SIM only seem more expensive than the tarriffs you get with a phone (excluding the phone cost).

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m on giffgaff (O2 network). £15 a month for everything with no contract.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Virginmedia VIP sim. £15 a month rolling and unlimited everything, uses the EE network so you are pretty much covered everywhere.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Are those plans 3G or 4G data? £15 a month is better than O2 are offering for a 3G plan with 1/5Gb data and limited minutes so sounding good!

can I switch my number to VM or giffgaff?

ross980
    Free Member

I’m on Three’s One plan. 5000 text, 2000min and unlimited data (inc. tethering) for £15/month. Data not as quick as EE was on my previous tariff, but now I can tether the iPad when I’m away (previously only had 500gb/month so to avoid excessive data charges I used to buy cheap PAYG data only sims of eBay and tether off an old phone)

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Have a look at 3, their plans automatically include 4G when it rolls out in your area for no extra. Plus their data really is unlimited, they also allow tethering

AndyPaice
    Free Member

with the Virgin VIP they dont say what the unlimited minutes cover, is it any uk LL or mobile network or just VM numbers?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

3 looks good too, will they really offer unlimited 4G though? Tethering sounds great.

what’s 3 coverage like?

bensales
    Free Member

I’m another Giffgaffer and can’t recommend them enough.

They’ll be going 4G soon. http://giffgaff.com/4g

If your O2 coverage is as good as you want, then Giffgaff are an ideal choice as they’re an O2 MVNO.

simon_g

Was on Giffgaff for a couple of years, but got my SIM yesterday to switch to Virgin. £15 for unlimited everything. Virgin will transfer your number next working day if you have a PAC and request it before 6pm.

Giffgaff were OK, but not great for iphones (lots of manual setup to get mobile data working, where other networks push settings correctly, and manual dial of voicemail number), and they had a couple of annoying periods of network downtime. Coverage is as good as O2 are – hoping for better from Virgin, which uses the combined Orange/T-Mobile EE network.

simon_g

with the Virgin VIP they dont say what the unlimited minutes cover, is it any uk LL or mobile network or just VM numbers?

Any landline (01, 02, 03), mobiles on any UK network. Not 08/09 numbers (I don’t think anyone includes those).

Need to be careful of 070 numbers too, they’re ”personal numbers” which aren’t included in allowances either.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m looking at a Tesco £10 (+£2.50 4g) contract and Nexus 5 unless Tmob can do me another super deal.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m on giffgaff too. You’d be foolish to look at anything else, IMO.

loddrik
    Free Member

This.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got 5 phones on Tesco £7.50/month but it’s 500mb/month I think.
    O2 (so what your used to) and never had a issue.

Edit: just checked and it’s £10/month for 1000 mins, 5000 txt and 1gb on a 12 month contract.

andyl
    Free Member

Unless you want to use tethering.

I am planing on trying 3’s One tariff for £18 a month (rolling) and then switch to £15 for 12 months if the coverage is okay as they allow tethering. I did spot the Virgin deal the other day but not looked into tethering with them.

ed34
    Free Member

look at Ovivo – 200 mins, 300 texts and 500MB each month with no monthly fee. They use the Vodafone network so good coverage

nealy
    Free Member

Virginmedia VIP sim. £15 a month rolling and unlimited everything, uses the EE network so you are pretty much covered everywhere.

this…

Have a look at 3, their plans automatically include 4G when it rolls out in your area for no extra. Plus their data really is unlimited, they also allow tethering

…or this is you’ll be using a 4G phone

I was on 3 but wasn’t happy with their coverage, it’s all or nothing whereas other networks are more likely to have a weak signal for the vast majority of where I go. Went to GiffGaff (O2) and their coverage wasn’t great for me although is pretty much the same as the other main operators. Now on Virgin (EE/Orange/T-Mobile) and happy with coverage plus unlimited everything for £15 is the best I can see.

When 3 rollout their 4G network it will be on better frequencies than their 3G network so should provide much better coverage plus they won’t charge extra or limit the data. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/three-can-win-the-4g-race-despite-starting-late

robdixon
    Free Member

the VM deal is worth a look but the speed is capped at 2 meg so if you download a lot that’s something to think keep in mind.

Bimbler
    Free Member

the VM deal is worth a look but the speed is capped at 2 meg so if you download a lot that’s something to think keep in mind.

Don’t think so, currently getting about 3 meg at my desk, regularly get 5-6-7, got 14 the other day (may have been an error on SpeedTest?)

Having said that though if you are in a good 3 reception area I’d go with 3, just because they seem to have a good 4g strategy. I’d prolly change too but currently only pay £8pm for my virgin VIP sim.

Edit – Just did a bit of googling and apparently unlimited on Virgin Mobile means up to 3.5Gb after that you’re capped at 3g speed of 384 kb/s

freddyg
    Free Member

Can you tether with the Virgin VIP deal?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Can you tether with the Virgin VIP deal?

Yep

sadexpunk

im on giffgaff and can tether for £10 per month. this is cos ive chosen the lowest plan, which allows 1Gb data rather than unlimited.

so….depends on your usage. for a light user like me a tenner a month is perfect. i never reach my minutes or data, and the tethering option is for emergencies when i have my laptop elsewhere in a ‘no wi-fi’ zone.

cp

on giffgaff, all freephone numbers are actually free.

nealy
    Free Member

Edit – Just did a bit of googling and apparently unlimited on Virgin Mobile means up to 3.5Gb after that you’re capped at 3g speed of 384 kb/s

4.64Mbps down 2.05Mbps up for me but doubt I’ve used 3.5GB this months…that’s a lot of pr0n!

freddyg
    Free Member

@Bimbler. I’ve just done some googling too and apparently tethering isn’t allowed: clicky-linky

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, plenty to look at there.

Its a 4g phone but not sure whether to go 4g or not. According to o2 My average data use is 114mb per month but was deliberately not using much 3g to avoid hitting the limit.

Tethering would be nice

Bimbler
    Free Member

@Bimbler. I’ve just done some googling too and apparently tethering isn’t allowed: clicky-linky

Not allowed maybe but I’ve done it in the past when my broadband went down and just did it now and seems to work fine. :shrugs:

freddyg
    Free Member

Good to know. I travel with work and need permanent (and cheap) access to t’internets. Something like the Virgin VIP SIM in my old HTC desire would be just the job. However, if tethering was an issue, then no ta.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘SIM only deals, whats good?’ is closed to new replies.