Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sidewall repair for tubeless usage?
  • krixmeister

In my last race my Spesh Renegade S-Works tire got a sidewall puncture (thorn) that wouldn’t seal up, so I had to stick a tube in to finish the race. Does anyone have any experience – is it possible – repairing a sidewall puncture such that the tire can be run tubeless again? The hole doesn’t seem that large, but definitely wouldn’t reseal with Stan’s.

Klunk
    Free Member

all my side wall repairs fail after a while running tubeless. IMO the way the side walls flex eventually ruins any repair.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve found the weldtite above one works faultlessly if done properly – it’s holding up to 60psi on my cx tyres…

The patch/superglue method that most others seem to be have failed though.

krixmeister

Thanks for the tips! I’ll stick the weldtite in my next CRC order, as I don’t think there is a distributor here in Singapore.

will1991
    Free Member

From about this time last year until November I ran a tyre tubeless with a gash in the sidewall (it wasn’t worn enough to stomach chucking it). I used motorbike patches, one on the inside and I also put one on the outside too. It ran without issue for several months, I only got rid of it because the tread was so worn.

Worth a look I reckon if they’re easier to get hold of.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rubber queen with a cut in the sidewall which I sewed with dental floss and then fitted a patch on the inside. I’ve only used it briefly on the rear as I don’t trust it 100%.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Tubless tyre patch I had no luck with the strip type plug as suggested by Clubber when trying to fix a Beaver with a small sidewall hole; maybe the sidewalls are just too thin on Beavers – just seemed to make the hole bigger. Tyre off and repaired with a patch as above and it’s been great ever since.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’ve successfully used a standard glue-on tube patches inside the tire casing. They’ve been able to repair regular tires run tubeless with Stan’s sealant with no issues. In fact, I think that one of my current tires (Tioga Psycho Genius) has had a patched sidewall since last summer.

br
    Free Member

If I get a hole that Stan’s won’t seal I usually repair (when out) with standard glue patches – its a bit of faff, but easier than a tube as the inside of the tyre is usually ‘peppered’ with debris.

At home I’ve superglued them before, but tbh if the tyre is over 1/2 worn I’ll bin it – as it will probably fail again quite quickly.

messiah
    Free Member

Use normal patches and normal rubber glue (vulcanising solution). If it’s a big rip you can even stack a few patches or glue on a piece of inner tube. Use sandpaper to roughen the area and once glued clamp it to let it all dry for a few hours before inflating. I’ve patched a few Rubber Queen sidewall’s this way and they are still working under me three months later.

Superglue (and most other glues) will be too brittle – the vulcanising solution/glue lets stuff move.

hillsplease

Not for me I don’t trust ’em. But then I do tend to break a lot of stuff and at the tender age of 41 fret more about crashing than I used to. Perhaps I should MTFU.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sidewall repair for tubeless usage?’ is closed to new replies.