Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • matt_outandabout

Where is that like button?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A New covering of snow on the hills around Shrewsbury this aft.

beaker

@funkyDunc.. I’m 10 mins north of you and we had nothing. Shaftesbury has is own climate!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Light smattering in West London.

duncancallum

Been out in mega snow tonight can’t be arse trying to load pics but they’re on my Strava

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/X460oECJST

jeffl

Bugger all snow here in Chesterfield 🙁

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Pretty brutal in Edinburgh

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Samba? You headin’ for the bookies already? 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

All gone in west lundon

matt_outandabout

🤣🤣

fossy

Fair bit round Manchester area. Roads were ice rinks this morning. Cracking out the Ice Spiker Pro’s later

bob_summers

Doesn’t bode well. Flying into MAN on Friday, then driving up the M6 in a rental as I didn’t want Northern to leave me stranded again.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Plenty on the tops even before last nights fall.This is Hambledon on the way to the Fairy Steps last night.

Off to Holcombe tonight and it’s just started to snow again

tarquin
    Free Member

We maybe had 1-2” this morning. All but disappeared by this afternoon.

Wife made it to work without issue, got on the road when it was fresh snow and quiet. I got a set of Michelin Crossclimate+ fitted in December so I can be STW smug.

scotroutes

Some more fresh snow overnight. Trails are superb at the moment.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eqAsWs]P1050482[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2evd1QH]P1050494[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dpbaFQ]P1050510[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

johndrummer
    Free Member

Nowt in Baildon, north of Bratfud

chevychase

Plenty around Hope/Edale/Ladybower etc for the past couple of weeks.

Came down from Whinstone Lee Tor to Ladybower Inn via Cutthroat Bridge ce soir on my todd with my lights on. Was great 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Seen as Scotroutes was a no-show… The REAL Glen Feshie 😉

Flaperon

Literally the world’s most pathetic snow shower just drifted through Harrogate.

Driving down to Heathrow tonight. Not looking forward to the incompetence on the roads. About time insurance companies started refusing to pay out on claims caused by snowy weather when the driver doesn’t have winter tyres fitted, and drivers prosecuted for negligence.

cookeaa

About time insurance companies started refusing to pay out on claims caused by snowy weather when the driver doesn’t have winter tyres fitted, and drivers prosecuted for negligence.

Yes, yes all very “Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells” but realistically I don’t think we’re really in the same league of annual; snowfall as countries where Winter tyres are mandatory, and for the ten minutes of snowmaggedon we see in an average year is it really necessary/proportionate? It’s not like they’d be in rotation for more than a couple of months, maybe 16 weeks? But then everyone has to payout several hundred quid on a set of winter tyres they barely ever use, plus store tham, and get them swapped over twice a year… or we could just grit the roads a bit more and all drive a bit more carefully.

If it snows here tommorow (Berkshire) I’m just leaving the car on the drive and cycling (mostly offroad/on bike lanes) in to avoid everyone else playing bumper cars, or “Working from home”…

scotroutes

realistically I don’t think we’re really in the same league of annual; snowfall as countries where Winter tyres are mandatory, and for the ten minutes of snowmaggedon we see in an average year is it really

Winter tyres aren’t just for snow. They are more effective as soon as the temperatures drop to +6c. A significant part of the UK will experience those temperatures for several months.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sitting here in Cardiff waiting for the precipitation to start.

Flaperon

It’s not like they’d be in rotation for more than a couple of months, maybe 16 weeks? But then everyone has to payout several hundred quid on a set of winter tyres they barely ever use, plus store tham, and get them swapped over twice a year… or we could just grit the roads a bit more and all drive a bit more carefully.

I’m not calling for mandatory winter tyres (although that would be nice), just an acceptance that as a driver you’re effectively uninsured without them in wintry conditions and that it might be better to stay at home.

If you really *need* your car then you should have the appropriate tyres fitted. After all, we’d castigate anyone who willingly went out in a car knowing that they had no brakes, which is basically what many people are doing now.

molgrips
    Free Member

But if you are trundling about at 5mph on a snowy un-gritted cul-de-sac on summer tyres is that really a problem? I don’t think we’re unique in that our side-street isn’t ploughed or gritted, but once you get onto the slightly larger street it is.

martinhutch

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2evM158]IMG_20190131_120507[/url] by Martin Hutchinson, on Flickr

Lovely out today.

Flaperon

But if you are trundling about at 5mph on a snowy un-gritted cul-de-sac on summer tyres is that really a problem?

No, not really, provided you accept that if you prang something you’ll have to pick up the bill for the damage to your own car. My objection tends to be motorways, where someone is either doing about 80mph on summer tyres in ignorance, or 15mph in utter terror, and HGVs are using all three or four lanes to get up hills and then blocking the whole road when they lose traction.

Last year I was able to plough my own lane to get past slow traffic, but obviously there needs to be space and dryish snow to do it.

v8ninety

we’d castigate anyone who willingly went out in a car knowing that they had no brakes, which is basically what many people are doing now.

Holy hyperbole batman. MASSIVE exaggeration alert. Unless there’s actually compacted snow on the ground, the difference in performance between boggo tyres and winter tyres is marginal, at best. Drivers should always drive appropriately for the conditions, which it is entirely possible to do 98% of the time in the U.K. on normal tyres. There’s also an argument that having winter tyres on would give some drivers a false sense of security, like the 4×4 effect that sees Range Rovers on their roofs every time it snows in Surrey.

Bunnyhop

The 7cm of snow that fell in Marple yesterday is still around. It’s so cold that the trees and bushes are still covered and it looks beautiful from my attic workroom window (with views across the surrounding hills).

scotroutes

Unless there’s actually compacted snow on the ground, the difference in performance between boggo tyres and winter tyres is marginal, at best.

Is bollocks – but is covered in the regular Winter Tyres thread so I’m not up for more spoonfeeding.

v8ninety

Is bollocks

Is self evidently NOT bollocks; and is selective quoting. The differences on non icy/snowy tarmac are, by definition, marginal. You may feel that the margins are sufficient to be worth it, and that’s fair enough. But it’s perfectly possible to drive safely 95% of the time in a U.K. winter on bog standard tyres, driving appropriately to the conditions. Notwithstanding severe weather events and very wild corners of the country.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Back on topic, **** all here in Eastbourne, the old Man has advised that it is snowing heavily in Bude.

Drac

It’s treacherous here.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

are those Polar Bear footprints?

Kryton57

Busy watching snowmeggdonon reports on the news in a brisk clear north London wondering if I’m in a different time zone to everyone else.

fossy

7cm in Marple, someone can’t measure. I was up there last night with my Ice Spikers – it’s slushy mush (before it froze overnight). I left work early to go play – it was rubbish.

Drac

Londoners told to be home by 9pm due to the cold conditions.

Meanwhile in Newcastle.

matt_outandabout

Not much snow really, but chuff me it’s a cold up Loch Tay tonight. Car says -8, but halfway up the hill it felt properly nippy – I’ve only felt that a few times that cold up the hill before.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Still nothing in Baildon

jam-bo

Brother in law just spent 4 hours stuck on the a30 on Bodmin moor. Was in a hi-lux with proper tyres on, but doesn’t matter when everyone in front of you isnt..

wallop

Yes my mate is stuck on Bodmin Moor too. Set off from Exeter at about 3.30, got stuck on the Moor, managed to get into the Jamaica Inn for a couple of pints and then set off again when they thought it was clear, only to get stuck again at Temple!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.