Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • Drac

I’ll try to think on Karnali.

midlifecrashes

Just back from Nottingham to Doncaster up the M1/M18, all clear northbound but gusty. Heading south earlier wasn’t bad, but exposed sections were getting a fair bit of airborne powder across the carriageway in the gusts, and small sections of drift in lane 1. Should be OK for rush hour if no fresh stuff comes overnight.

Drac

Karnali,

no fresh fall in Alnwick through the night but many roads are shut, A69 has had motorists stranded most of the night, A1 has areas shut around Alnwick and again they’ve spent the night rescuing those trapped yesterday.

The Amber has carried through today, the winds are really strong so drifts will be bad.

Police are advising only to travel if absolutely necessary.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Eastbourne seems to have dodged it AGAIN, Kent had it bad earlier in the week and to the west had it bad last night.  The Downs are just cold wind blasted desolation at the moment, very post apocalyptic.

I’ve never seen so many days consistently below zero and we’ve been down here 18 years.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We have a good few inches of settled snow in Brizzle. I think this is the first amount that’s actually settled overnight for around 5 years. The city is absolutely going to lose its shit today. 😃

bikebouy
    Free Member

On the Solent it’s all a bit quiet. Doesn’t look like any is going anywhere just yet.

Late yesterday afternoon we had light flurries but it stuck, so it’s about 3” or so on the roads, I’ve not seen the main roads because I’ve not been out yet.. I’d expect them to be passable because 3” isn’t a fat lot and they were gritting yesterday.

It is still windy though and ENE so bitterly cold again, but it’s due to swing westerly later/tomorrow and warm up to about 7C so all we have now will melt.

Schools obviously closed again, it  is Friday after all.

To all those that are caught out in it or are affected adversely my thoughts are with you and hope you get home or somewhere warm soon.

singletrackmind

Hampshire / Dorset got a good few hours of drfting snoow last night that came in , as forcast at approx 3pm. It casued major disruption as everyone bolted from work around that time. Many main roads were impassable with people taking 5-6 hours to complete a 20 minute commute home. Trains were stuck overnight with passengers on them.

The Police closed parts of the M27 =A31 across the New Forset and Poole and Bournemouth were particually bad. Its been snoowing on and off all  night , but  due to 30 -40mph  winds  its  impossible to quantify the amount.

Coucil been  gritting constantly but once  a road is blocked the gritters / ploughs cannot keep  the routes clear.

All  real 4×4  owners  with M&S tyres  should be out  at  the hospitls , either  shadowing Ambo’s going to 999  calls or ferrying  Doctors and  Nurses  to work / vunerable old people houses.

karnali
    Free Member

Drac cheers, trip cancelled late last night, kids gutted but we’ll get over later in the year to remind ourselves how awful it is in Northumberland.

molgrips
    Free Member

4-8″ variable here in Cardiff with some drifts of about 50-60 in our street. Not ventured out anywhere else. Looking at the radar yesterday it seemed like Devon got much more.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Evidently it’s going to to rain tomorrow in London so that will be the snow gone, think this is the first winter where the whole country has had a good covering now the SW is having its share.

My other half is Polish and just doesn’t understand why we are not prepared for this weather and the country grinds to a halt, evidently it only being like this for a few days every couple of years is not enough of an excuse 🙂

At least my Canada goose coat has had a bit of use this year.

Drac

Very wise with kids in tow. It’s just started snowing heavy again.

2010 covered the whole country.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, 2010 I was coming back from Morocco surfing and our Gatwick flight got shifted to Cardiff … and coached all the way back without the heaters working..

I was flipping frozen.

If I recall that year it lasted for a couple of weeks didn’t it ?

Alex

This is our road. I think it’s unlikely I’m getting out today. Or tomorrow. Or possibly Monday. The hedges are 3-4 foot high. We have cornices!

Alex

Yep real cornices. We’re good for logs for the fire, food and provisions and beer. We’ve run out of wine tho. Considering chubby-run to the local shop 2 miles away. Might involve a carry 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

No new snow in Baildon (near Bradford) since yesterday morning

Drac

If I recall that year it lasted for a couple of weeks didn’t it ?

Yup it did.

Alex

I just had a call with the people I’m meant to be working with in Swindon on Monday. I advised them I might not be able to get there. With it staying cold and a bit more snow forecast, no point in even trying to clear it until Sat. And I reckon that’s going to be quite a big job with just two of us shovelling. Everyone else on our lane is pretty old, so it’ll be down to us.

RustySpanner

Bit better up here today.

No snow overnight and it froze early on, so fewer drifts.

I gritted the road yesterday and did all the old(er) giffers drives, and they’re still clear.

Got up at 4 and had a walk up the main road to see if I could get into work. Still not risking it, so time to set up the new Virgin box and go for a play on the bike later.

Stay safe everyone……

pictonroad

All real 4×4 owners with M&S tyres should be out at the hospitls , either shadowing Ambo’s going to 999 calls or ferrying Doctors and Nurses to work / vunerable old people houses.

I would turn up to help at my local hospital but I’m not sure I’d be welcome given it’s now raining!!

pictonroad

think this is the first winter where the whole country has had a good covering now the SW is having its share.

Not had a sniff of the stuff here. Watching all the social media posts with envy.

jeffl

Few drifts up around Chesterfield. That’s the road to work, was fun dragging the bike through it for an hour. In the drift was an abandoned Freelander, pickup truck, soft roader and a tractor!

bikebouy
    Free Member

The snow is melting here on the Solent, for a few hours last night the wind swung southerly and the temp went up. The wind however has swung back ENE but is nowhere near as strong as the last few days.. the suns out at the moment and I reckon by lunchtime the wind will have started swinging westerly (which is forecast) by that time I reckon apart from the drift bits the rest will have gone..

Drac

All real 4×4 owners with M&S tyres should be out at the hospitls , either shadowing Ambo’s going to 999 calls or ferrying Doctors and Nurses to work / vunerable old people houses.

A lot around here helped by picking staff up for work.

Alex

Not improved here on the lower slopes of the Herefordshire Alps. I’ll not bother trying to dig that out. Wait for the framer with his tractor and scoop.

Dogs are enjoying it tho.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I stayed in Orkney, they said the winds blew so strongly that in a blizzard you could fill a room with snow blown through a letterbox. Jesus got lucky.

There’s a back story to Jesus part way through this threadhttps://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-only-went-to-scoff-the-buffet/

The drifts are bigger today. My neighbouring farmers are having to cross fields in tractors as the roads are too bad to dig out. Those they tried just filled back in again.

jam-bo

back to drizzle and rapidly turning to slush in Devon.

Surf later.

paton
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

How hard can it be to build an Igloo?

A post shared by Michael Smith (@smithmichaelw) on

View this post on Instagram

Can you guess what happens next

A post shared by Michael Smith (@smithmichaelw) on

Clearing snow here in Warwick

Alex

Ran out of wine. Local shop is a few miles away.

There was a bit of carrying required. At one point I was up to nearly my armpits in the drifts! Fun tho and great to get out. Bike was brilliant on the packed snow, fairly terrifying where the tractors had been which had refrozen.

Alex

Im guessing the igloo building didn’t end well 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It didn’t go that well not brave enough to go for the roof….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nearly all gone here on the Solent, 7C and yet the winds gone more easterly ..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My neighbour cleared a path to the main road. Phew

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Winter has returned again to West Yorkshire. Couple of inches this morning and still snowing

ads678

Leeds is broken at the moment!

andy8442
    Free Member

Can’t see Basildon Moor……because of the snow! The kids are off again! I’m sure teachers were made of stronger stuff when I was a lad.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Crazy, we’re having concrete foundations poured today.. in Harrogate and apparently it’s snowing 🤷‍♂️

Yet here on the Solent it’s blazing sunshine and 9C..

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Had a dusting again here in West Lancs..

johndoh
    Free Member

Parts of Harrogate gridlocked and some schools closed so I walked in to work. It was lovely.

ahsat

Well that was an interesting few hours – Leeds Bradford airport vanished from view and cars slide backwards down the hill.  However its now melting as fast as it fell.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.