• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shower Proof jacket for Biking in
  • xyeti
    Free Member

My old HOWIES jacket has been torn and ripped at the seams beyond recognition, it was only £40 and made from recycled pop bottles apparently ? I need something that will help keep me protected from the rain / wind, I dont need an Endura MT500 Jacket or a North Face Gore-Tex jacket as its just for riding in.

What’s decent, i’d like something similar to the Howies one that packs into almost nothing and is reasonably priced.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Simon

Montane Featherlite Velo or Montane Singletrack if you want some pockets.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Paramo Fuera Windproof… Thicker than Montanes so more durable will resist light showers but even if it sets out will dry out pretty fast. I’ve had the Montane and it sets out too easy and is thin as tissue paper and rips when you crash in it….touch wood the paramo hasn’t yet!

chiefgrooveguru

I have a medium Fuera which needs rehoming – it’s just a bit too short in the sleeves for me (a not infrequent occurrence…) I can confirm they are bombproof!

butcher

Wiggle do some really cheap DHB stuff when the sales are on. I got one years ago for about £20.

lyrikal
    Free Member

How much do you want for the rehoming of this fuera jacket, I think I have normal length arms!!

xyeti
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve ordered a Paramo Fuera in “ENDURO” Blue, looks like a good bit of kit and being windproof should keep the chill off.

Thanks

iainc

Arghh, I have a brand new unworn blue Howies Dfyi in XL you could have had for £40 !

Del

have the paramo and find it too heavy and too bulky for carrying. also very flappy in the wind. fine for trailwork but crap for riding. certainly robust though. have a montane featherlite smock for riding/carrying about. the weakspot of the featherlite jacket is the zip, which is why i now have the smock.

chiefgrooveguru

How much do you want for the rehoming of this fuera jacket, I think I have normal length arms!!

£10? Have had it for ages but realised that in recent years it only gets used very occasionally when my wife wants something bright and weatherproof to put over her leather jacket when she’s riding the scooter… I have a 6’2″ armspan despite being 5’10.5″ so I’m sure you’re less ape-like than me! 😉

lyrikal
    Free Member

Email me the details and a photo, dmoody at live dot co dot uk

xyeti
    Free Member

ianc, i’d have had that if it were more reasonable, i’m not sure they cost that new,

iainc

xyeti – I don’t think they still make them anyway. Can’t remember what it cost as its hung in wardrobe for over a year, as I bought 2 and only wear the other one. No worries though, it will be used eventually when I rip the orange one ! A Google says they retailed at £40, but I do think they were on sale for less so you’re probably right !

xyeti
    Free Member

UPDATE

Purchased said jacket which arrived this morning, it’s no good for biking in “for me” as it flaps about like a windsock, it’s that loud it’s like being under canopy. Plus it’s got a substantial hood that needs tucking in which also has a wire in.

Definitely keeping it though as a lightweight walking top and being a smock is very comfy, great bit of kit well made and looks smart with jeans, just not quite right for me on the bike.

shadowfax

This is stonking value imo.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/157490-nike-mens-printed-trail-kiger-jacket-black.html

Nike Kiger Trail running jacket – £50

_tom_
    Free Member

The best riding jacket I’ve had was a Salomon ski softshell. Warm but ventilated well enough to keep you from becoming a clammy mess and it keeps you dry in showers. Can’t find anything as good and the zip is nackered now 🙁 I’ve just got a Fox Draft jacket which is alright but not as nice as the Salomon.

medoramas
    Free Member

Altura Vapour – fantastic jacket!

The RRP is about £120, but if you google it up you’ll find some good offers – I got mine for £39 just before Christmas (I even PSA’ed it here).

iainc

xyeti – let me know if you want that blue XL unworn Howies one – open to offers 🙂 (mail in profile)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shower Proof jacket for Biking in’ is closed to new replies.