Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Show me your veteran cycles ? Any VCC members here ?
  • Bought this a while ago, although we’ve never been much more than about 5 miles from home on it yet.

Unknown make or year, probably 1920s, upgraded with 1930 Trivelox three speed gears.

We went to a local vintage vehicle rally and met a few other Veteran Cycle Club members recently.
    The VCC itself seems quaintly old fashioned with no internet forum or Facebook page, everything is done by snail mail or phone.

So, what else have other people on STW got ?

epicyclo

1930s Armstrong. Just did a 100 miler on it in the Highlands 3 days ago. (Stac Pollaidh in background)

1932 Sunbeam Road Racer

I’ve a few others, but those are the two that get the miles.

Nice to see the old ones being ridden, epicyclo.
    Mrs MTG has got a 1960s Triumph with three speed Sturmey Archer gears that she uses a lot.

epicyclo

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    Nice to see the old ones being ridden, epicyclo…

It’s the best way to make road riding interesting. 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

Was given a ladies BSA sport roadster today. It’s from 1939 and is going to be restored as much as I can. Even came with a genuine original sales catalogue. Love it.

epicyclo

Consider joining the V-CC. You get access to their on-line library and there’s a fair bit of BSA stuff.

Anything you remove from it, keep in a safe place even if it’s stuffed so you can use it as a reference.

Careful with the restoration though – there’s a big preference for wipe with an oily rag rather than restoration to preserve the patina.

Oh, and use the bike. Get serious miles on it. They seem to work better if you do that. 🙂

We joined the VCC. That’s how I found out about the local event, someone saw my name in the New Members section of the magazine and phoned me up.
    My main concern about riding it is wearing out the chainrings and sprockets. I don’t know where I’d get replacements, other than having them custom machined.

racefaceec90

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mq59ykPnAE[/video] 😉

epicyclo

toppers3933 – Member
    Was given a ladies BSA sport roadster today…

Keep an eye on eBay. Start accumulating the necessary spares.

For example, I picked up a NOS Brampton chainset recently. It’s actually 60s stuff but there’s not a significant difference between that and the 30s stuff.

If it has the original 3 speed hub, then it likely will be a BSA one. I haven’t taken the rear sprocket off mine (Silver Sunbeam) but it looks like a screw on track cog, so that’s easily replaceable. If it has been fitted with a S-A hub then there’s plenty cogs available.

Don’t get sucked in by some of the supposedly NOS stuff which is actually new Indian bike parts. They do the job, but the chrome is dire and they rust instantly.

If you don’t know how to remove and insert a cotter pin properly, it’s worth learning how. There’s a right side to insert from. The reason I suggest that is it’s worth pulling the old BB to check on it, note which model, and then watch out for NOS coming up on eBay.

BSA stuff from that era is generally very good quality, so replace your bearings with NOS and the bike is good for another 80 years. 🙂

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member
    …My main concern about riding it is wearing out the chainrings and sprockets. I don’t know where I’d get replacements, other than having them custom machined.

The chainrings are readily available, I’m not sure about the Tri-velox sprockets, but generally most of the stuff in those days was designed to come apart and use common parts, so you’ll probably find there are sprockets to fit.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have a 1947 Hobbs of Barbican that im using fixed

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got a pre war ( I believe) Dawes. Some form of Reynolds sticker on it, Clip headset, Resilion Cantis (sold for silly money) and a bunch of small rectangular brazes on’s on the right chainstay. Can’t get a smooth headset at the moment.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Show me your veteran cycles ? Any VCC members here ?’ is closed to new replies.