Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • singlespeed ratio – anyone run 34-18??
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

just received my new rings for my inbred ss and realised ive ordered the wrong rear cog. ive got the 34 front but wanted 16 at the back and ive received 18. i cant try it as obviously i cant then return it so im wondering does anyone else run 34-18? im currently running 33-16 and its ok but i wanted it slightly harder as its quite flat where i live.

njee20
    Free Member

Well then it’s not going to work… If you want harder than 33:16 it’s wrong, no one else’s experience will help surely?

persona
    Free Member

Yes, others use the ratio you mention. Even if they live/ride in the same parts as you, they are not you!
    You wanted higher than 33=16 which 34=18 is clearly not. Not sure what you WANT to hear here.

clubber
    Free Member

Seriously, whether anyone else does or doesn’t, really means nothing for you. I know people who run harder and easier gears than that and everything in between.

33/16 is 2.0625:1
    34/18 is 1.89:1 so approx 10% easier/slower

If 33/16 is already too low then going lower isn’t going to help that, is it?

leythervegas
    Free Member

well yes thats true, just wanted to know if anyones tried this ratio as ive nevr run a 34 up front and was told it makes a big difference compared to changes on the back cog.

drofluf
    Free Member

I run 34:18 but as njee20 says it’s an easier ratio than 33:16 so I’m not sure how I can help

clubber
    Free Member

You’ve got it the wrong way round – a tooth change on the back makes more difference than a tooth change on the front (because the front chainring is bigger than the sprocket so a single tooth makes a smaller percentage difference).

persona
    Free Member

Someone didn’t pay attention when the teacher explained fractions, fair enough. There are plenty gear calculators to use online. Google one

glupton1976
    Free Member

If it’s fairly flat where you live why are you messing around with less than a 2:1 ratio?

Get something much harder or you’ll be spinning like a dafty.

leythervegas
    Free Member

just re ordered a 16t cog, should be ok

BigJohn

I run 34:18. It’s the same as 32:17. Near enough.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 Just ride everywhere steeper 💡

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed ratio – anyone run 34-18??’ is closed to new replies.