• This topic has 120 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by swdan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Show me your Sonder Caminos!
  • lawman91

I’m hovering over the order now button but thought I’d check in here and see how folks are finding them. Looking at a Camino Al frame only in Mint, size large and 90% sure on sizing, but looking at the geo chart the medium is actually pretty much identical to my old Genesis Datum which fitted like a glove, but then Sonder only rate the medium up to 5ft 10 and I’m 6ft. I do prefer my drop bar bikes a little shorter though. Keen to hear how people have got on with theirs too.

boblo
    Free Member

Snowy Monday on the edge of the Fens, really enjoyed it.

Slightly better pic of the boik:

footflaps

Snowy Monday on the edge of the Fens, really enjoyed it.

Lot more snow than we got in Cambridge!

boblo
    Free Member

@footflaps Ben, it was fresh powder like this. Dint know whether to get the skis or the bike out of the toy cupboard…

karnali
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium at 5’9, 1 wouldn’t want it to be any smaller

Stainypants

Dumb question, can the latest version of the camino take a conventional compact double.

ginkster

Dumb question, can the latest version of the camino take a conventional compact double.

Absolutely. I’ve got GRX 2x on mine.

Stainypants

Cheers

antigee

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kwDJZu]20210115_140738 El Camino Phillip Island[/url]

my think mark 1 ali’ El Camino 2X front XT set up 40mm rubber 700c CGR seatpost f…ugly plus redshift flex stem for down under corrugated gravel roads…great versatile frame have also run with mudguards and rack as a commuter

bigrich
    piemonster

Awaits @metalheart to post an envy generating picture of his Camino

Nope, I’ve never found myself wishing I’d gone Ti…. not me oh no

metalheart
    Free Member

@piemonster dry yer eyes min!

I’ll give you first dibs when I’m selling it… 🤪

2020-11-11_07-07-44

can the latest version of the camino take a conventional compact double.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a Ti GRX2 option on the Sonder website…

pnik

Camino Al

About to replace the frame with the Ti version, been a great bike very pleased with it. Wasn’t sure how much I’d use it, but actually loads.

Argh embedded photos…

ogden
    Free Member

No Large in stock or Pre Order are there? I keep thinking about getting a frame and slowly building it up but at 5 9″ I’m in between a Medium and a Large.

Any 5 9″ ish riders with frame size suggestions?

lawman91

Hmmm they did have Large Mint for pre-order yesterday afternoon, obviously gone already! Solves that problem for me then for now!

ljarch
    Free Member

Love mine I’m 6ft and ride a large.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kwySG2]078E39B4-A89B-4E89-9FF8-B47B55CB87BA[/url] by Lewis Johnson, on Flickr

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m a fraction under 6′ and mine’s large… and so’s me boik!

Badoom…. Tish 😁

antigee

piemonster

Awaits @metalheart to post an envy generating picture of his Camino

Nope, I’ve never found myself wishing I’d gone Ti…. not me oh no

same

lesshaste

Yep, 179 cm here on a large. Short stem though, maybe Boblo got my share?

kid.a
    Free Member

I’m hovering over buy also. I’m 6’3″ and charts say XL, but the reach looks long.

Mint or Chilli red though! Argh

tetrode
    Free Member

Large is all sold out!

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m on a large (but I’m a smidge under 6’). Wouldn’t want it any smaller for sure.

@stwhannah
    did a review of the Al Camino late spring/early summer. It was partly that that led me to buying/pre-ordering so might be worth a read.

Sonder has a lot of weird and wonderful things happen in their ordering/website. I ordered an al bike but then ascertained the availability of the ti frame and upgraded the order despite there being none visible on the website (done through email/phone).

Supply lines are completely ****-up at the moment,can’t imagine that customs Brexit bit of a mess will have improved matters since the summer neither.

Oh, Mint, definitely Mint 🤪

metalheart
    Free Member

Large is all sold out!

This is what happens.

When it arrives (the email) just order the damn thing. If you leave it, it will disappear. Ask me how I know this…

stwhannah

@metalheart Shame I don’t get commission! If everyone upgraded to Ti I could buy my own in alloy!

metalheart
    Free Member

Shame I don’t get commission! If everyone upgraded to Ti I could buy my own in alloy!

You could try and convince them that you really need a ti one to compare (seems as you have obviously driven up sales of the Al one…), no?

boblo
    Free Member

I bought mine in the/a sale a year or so ago. It’s the q/r version. I’d bent my favourite bike and couldn’t decide whether to go custom or off the peg for its replacement – so I did both as the Camino frame was only £250. I built it as a bitsa from what I had laying around with a couple of new components ex Wiggle. Probly cost me £350 in real pounds without too much man maths…

ElShalimo

There’s been a few threads in the last year or two

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’m hovering over buy also. I’m 6’3″ and charts say XL, but the reach looks long.

The reach looks long becayse it has a steeper seat tube than a lot of bikes like it. The ETT, which is probably more relevant to a bike like this, since you probably spend more time in the saddle than not, is pretty typical. If you compare it to e.g. the Santiago, the same ETT gets less reach.

ElShalimo

@kid.a – if you are long limbed go for XL

I’m 6′ 1.5″ with 34″ inside leg and gorilla arms and went XL in 2017 (v1 but the geometry is the same).

It feels long when my sciatica plays up but normally it feels right. I’ve not bothered putting a slightly shorter stem on it so it must be a decent fit.

I love it and it’s the only bike I’ve used since 2017. @brant designed a great bike

footflaps

@footflaps Ben, it was fresh powder like this. Dint know whether to get the skis or the bike out of the toy cupboard…

I am very jealous, I love snow – see it about once every 10 years in the City.

bri-72

5,10 on a med but a large landing soon with my name on it. Toe overlap as much as anything my issue (175 cranks).

lucasshmucas

I’m also 6’3″ and rode an XL for a while. I always felt stretched out, enough that I felt slightly uncomfortable, despite fitting a shorter stem. However my upper body is relatively short compared to my lower body. Having said that I enjoyed riding the bike, but I would not get another one due to that reach.

pnik

Interesting mine is XL I’m 6’2” relatively long legged, I’ve raised the front end slightly, so it’s got 3 or 4 spacers under none over. Really good fit with stock components, got the apex 1 hydro on the c2w at 999, been great. Not felt overly stretched but as I say have pulled the front up, running spitfire bars, had the bombers for 1 ride hated them. When my voucher comes will replace the frame. Then start slowly upgrading the components, although it’s all solid, wheels are probably next.

Edit, toe overlap can be a bit of an issue but only with the sks guards on, running 170mm xt cranks. Which I know is a bit odd!

bigrich

I have the xl with spacers and a 70mm stem. Nice and comfy position chuntering, and aggressive when descending.

jimdubleyou

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a Ti GRX2 option on the Sonder website…

I think this bike will be in my life at some point, website says “Order book opens September” 🙁

I think the choke point is GRX2 rather than the frames…

sssimon
    Free Member

XL ordered and hopefully due on 8th of February ish. Gangly 6’2 so always on the cusp of large and XL so hoping it’s right.

Managed to gather up second hand 1×11 rival, dt350/g540 wheels, gravelkings and Deda finishing kit.

metalheart
    Free Member

I think the choke point is GRX2 rather than the frames…

Yup, I’d have got my GRX1 about 4-6 weeks earlier if I was prepared to sub for Force instead.

Back then, October, they were taking about May delivery for some sram forks….

Heard (elsewhere) that no Canecreek forks available as there are no mag lowers left on the planet at present…

Something about a global pandemic I think…🤪

kid.a
    Free Member

I didn’t buy yet, still pondering.

I ride 58cm in CAADX (the bike it will replace) and 58cm Spesh Tarmac. So still not sure.

Will ponder some more! Haha

tetrode
    Free Member

FYI I emailed Sonder a few days ago about stock availability on large frames and just received this email back:

Thanks for getting in touch. We are set to have more stock of the large Camino frames from mid-April.

I would suggest keeping an eye on the website for any updates.

I am afraid the email notification does not currently work for our bikes, something we are working on.

So just a matter of checking and getting lucky it seems!

strugglinon
    Free Member

Can’t figure out how to post a pic from my phone.
    Got a V1 Camino Ti frame in large with Carbon fork, Hope headset, Love Mud wheels, Schwalbe G-One 38s and adjustable stem for sale.
    DM for info and pics.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Sonder Caminos!’ is closed to new replies.