• This topic has 81 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Show me your raw finish bikes
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

munqe chick’s ’09 Giant Cypher, factory finish is a mixture of gloss polished and matt textured bare alloy.

giant’s own catalogue shot doesnt do it justice

bol

I_Ache
    Free Member

Here you go. This was stripped back with nitromores and rubbed down with wire wool. It has a bit of a brushed effect, I have never polished it and it rairly even gets cleaned. I have put some heli tape on parts because I have seen how a cable/hose can rub through frames and forks when left alone.

P1000890 by i_ache, on Flickr

P1000891 by i_ache, on Flickr

hora
    Free Member

Very nice- where did you get the sticker/decal kit? Ebay? I’d probably go for transparent with black outline. or white with black outline.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had the set made for me as you cant buy them from Spech and they were shutting people down who sold them on ebay. Best bet is to email some of the people who sell other brands kits and ask them to make you one. I had to measure up the sizes that I wanted and take photos for the guy to plot. As you can see mine was a very simple gloss black I paid £8 inc p+p for the main stickers and a further £4 for two of the big Enduro ones. Let me know if you want the blokes email address I got the stuff from. Mail in profile.

I keep meaning to get some more done, I would like Specialized in big under the DT and some other shapes around the seat post support.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Another Holeshot here:

It lives! by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Kieran

Mine;

IMG_0406 by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

hora
    Free Member

Help nitromores isnt even touching the paint layer. What gives?!

orena45

tazzymtb

it’s not a cellulose based paint? is it powder coated?

thepodge
    Free Member

Just take it for a chemical dip, far far easier and probably cheaper in the long run.

hora
    Free Member

Im guessing its the opposite to what my old santa cruz was as that just bubbled immediately and came off very easily.

Dip? No time during the day.

mralexbenn
    Free Member

Does any one know what the matt coating is On One use on their 456 evo frame and where I can get some?

_tom_
    Free Member

Factory polished rather than “proper” raw but it looks awesome after giving it the brasso treatment. Hard to show in photos how shiny it is.

Got the old Boxxers on it again now though as I can’t justify keeping the Domains for how little I ride this compared to my HT!

I_Ache
    Free Member

hora – Member

This happened to me, it was a right git to get off. I ended up using a pain scraper to get most of it off and rubbing town the rest of the paint with nitromores and wire wool. I tried everything to get the paint of mine even pouring brake fluid over it (knowing what it does to car paint) and also a blow torch. Neither touched it. It took me over a week of 3 hour evenings to get it off.

I was half way through and wished I had just paid to get it powdercoated but am now glad I didn’t.

hora
    Free Member

Yep it seems the hardest areas to shift are the ones where you’d get stone/strikes etc; the downtube- especially underneath. Good thinking on behalf of Spesh.

cheese@4p

Mine – posing like hell
    [/url]
    Trail bike by ian lepp, on Flickr[/img]

ComradeD
    Free Member

The turner 5 spots in raw are lovely

hora
    Free Member

I concur. Very brave for a manufacturer to release a raw product. Its not ‘flattering’ on all frames is it. Colour can hide an ugly frame to an extent.

fishcake
    Free Member

My recently stripped Kona

Fishcake

hora
    Free Member

Here she is- a matt-sort of ano grey at the mo. Couldn’t be assed sanding/polishing it

binners

You are a fool!

That is all

was
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

The pic really doesn’t do it justice. The white forks, saddle/frame combo really looks good in the flesh. Especially muddy!

Can’t wait for the finish to ‘evolve’.

binners

when you say ‘evolve’, you mean ‘corrode’

hora
    Free Member

Alu oxodises differently to steel 🙄

binners

You are a fool!

That is all

thepodge
    Free Member

He is a fool but I think it looks good. Perhaps needs a bit more colourful finishing kit but otherwise it’s much better than I was expecting

hora
    Free Member

The Enduro is a FUGLY frame but it seems to work in person.

rockitman

Could someone explain the process for doing this? I’ve got a frame I might like to have a go at it with

hora
    Free Member

Where are you based/what frame is it?

thepodge
    Free Member

Take it to a powder coater with £30, go back 2 days later

khani
    Free Member

Could someone explain the process for doing this? I’ve got a frame I might like to have a go at it with

Spend loads of money on nitromorse and various other nasty stuff, spend aaaaaaaages scrubbing and scraping and picking bits of paint off the frame,
    then stand back and admire the complete dogs dinner that your frame now looks like…and then take it somewhere to have it done properly…for peanuts… 😀

hora
    Free Member

Wow Khani, do you have CCTV installed at my place? 8)

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora I’m sure it looks nice in person but that photo is shocking. You need to put some effort into getting a better pic than that.

hora
    Free Member

Totally and utterly agree. It really really doesn’t do it justice. I’ll ask Pook nicely to take some pics on the ride this weekend

thepodge
    Free Member

Has this suddenly become a tartathon ride on Saturday? I might clean my bike if it has.

khani
    Free Member

Wow Khani, do you have CCTV installed at my place?

Yes…stop it now, or I’M going to go blind… 😯 you’re a sick…sick man….
    I’m not talking about your bike….

rockitman

Excellent. I’m in Mossley, quite near to Chioago Powder Coating, so do I just ask them to blast it and not respray. Do I then need to polish it in some way?

It’s an Orange 225 that I’ve had re-welded and I’m thinking of building up again.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Show me your raw finish bikes’ is closed to new replies.