• This topic has 45 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by 5lab.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Show me your…. Kid tow ropes
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

how “snatchy” is it when you reach the end of its length? I (occasionally) yank the kid (who’s only 6) off with the gentle start of an elasticated rope, that sorta thing looks ace but I think it might cause problems in practice (setting off at exactly the same time doesn’t seem to work either..)

You might have issues, you really need the back rider to push off at the same time or else run the line out. It’s as snatchy as the equivalent dog lead!

Something else that only happens once: Boy face planting after going OTB because he continually ignored my instruction to ride behind me instead of at my side. Luckily he wasn’t hurt and after a few minutes got back on.

Deliberately, sure, but if they get stuck in a rut or just do that thing where once again they do something stupid that they know will hurt then you’re back to square one.

stevextc
    Free Member

Actually, that bit will do at least two ropes possibly three.

We literally ended up using a bit (2m incl loop tied either end) of the cheapest rope from Wickes or somewhere.. (Polypropylene Rope Blue 6mm)

It’s been engineered to death with stretchy bits and ultimately nothing seems any better than the straight rope with a loop either end.

5lab

a bit more digging has found this option (google translate available)

https://www.velovert.com/news/15828/tire-velo-le-petit-coup-de-pouce-malin

you can get it shipped to the UK from amazon france or germany. Nice and compact and is elasticated, they recon with a bit of practice you can hook/unhook without stopping. Just a shame its not saddle-mounted I guess

Speeder

5lab
    how “snatchy” is it when you reach the end of its length? I (occasionally) yank the kid (who’s only 6) off with the gentle start of an elasticated rope, that sorta thing looks ace but I think it might cause problems in practice (setting off at exactly the same time doesn’t seem to work either..)

@5lab
    It’s fine just so long as you agree some kind of procedure for pulling off and that everyone is ready for it. that’s not to say we haven’t had some mishaps but dealing with a small person is fraught most of the time so to be expected. I’d rather have the rigid line than some twangy thing that could fire them off into the distance at any moment.

It’s so much easier and neater (if not cheaper) than the bug bungy options I’d say it was a no brainer. I’ll caveat that with the fact that I bought it when if first came out, pre-Brexit and it was I think a lot cheaper than it is currently.

mrchrist

TeTupGa Bicycle Tow Rope Belt Strap Mountain Bike Parent-Child Pull Reflective Traction Portable Outdoor MTB Elastic Bicycle For Adult Kids Children https://amzn.eu/d/8SDSVrB

14 notes from Amazon.

5lab

a bit more digging has found this option (google translate available)

https://www.velovert.com/news/15828/tire-velo-le-petit-coup-de-pouce-malin

Update on this. Got a tire velo for Christmas and did a first ride with it today. It’s bade of the same kind of stuff as a bungee cord, so lots of give, but it also retracts automatically into a dog lead like thing that attaches to your seatpost.

Loads of advantages to this. There’s no way to get the cord caught in a front wheel, which is good, but also there is zero faff in clipping and unclipping the towed rider. After a couple of goes on fireroads my 6 year old and I can both clip and unclip without stopping, I can just reach behind my saddle, grab the hook and place it over his stem.

Super impressed, a solution that’s miles ahead in terms of faff than any of its sprung competitors.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.