Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Show and tell …. Fixies
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMO6onqkf3iTeTeWxTsgDXUhf4egIkHptwcG9jhnK_Nv41KGAPUqtfutTCa8yOP7Q/photo/AF1QipOlzcqA2VfkUYGlaOdsXSoR8EcQfFjSWROBgT0L?key=bkxLUm1fckQ0dUV4ZjJwaEh3cW13MGRLSG1mV2hR

This is my singlecross

Its horrid , its heavy , it rides horrible and wooden due to that crappy fork once you remove the stock 38c tires and its ugly – it was cheap and its done a heap of miles – on its third fixed wheel drive train as my commuter but i’ve tollerated it long enough. (10 years)

I want a new frame. I want a surly steamroller with mudguard and rack mounts….. for some unknown reason surly fit only a set of rear fender mounts.

The brother all day looks great except i want to run road brakes not V brakes.

What have you got , What do you recomend for my wants For the record i want a skinny tubing 120mm/130mm (i can space out my axle) spaced road bike(think audax) with guards and racks. Not an aluminium Track bike.

one solid colour preferably black with minimal graphics would be appreciated…. and I’ve had a roadrat before for a couple of years – sold it because i always felt like i was on top of the bike due to its “compact” design and my height.

trail_rat
    Free Member

god i miss the Preview function.

that image didnt work ….youll have to click the link apparently .

tthew

Gensis Flyer? Not sure it’s in the current line up, but your requirements are pretty specific, you’ll not have a massive amount of choice.

edit – actually looks like you can buy a new one, but in a horrible minty green with whitewall tyres. Sure they could also sell you a rusty spoon to scoop out your eyeballs.

2nd edit – only a frame – didn’t click that. That’s the Flyer out, unless you buy the whole bike and flog the spare bits.

footflaps

I’ve got a Tri-Cross in road format, no SS though….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/c1yumN]FS: SS Tri-Cross[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

kerley
    Free Member

I have had quite a few steamroller frames and they are also heavy and ride with a fairly dead feeling. Look nice though, a lot nicer than a singlecross that is for sure and have nice handling..

trail_rat
    Free Member

i figured as much .

I guess i was spoilt . i had a re purposed 531 road bike that i ran with a 130mm surly Fixed hub and it rode brilliantly but was removed from my ownership by folk who didnt ask.

The singlecross is so incredibly ugly that no ones even done that !

i’m aware its a specific set of requirements and thus i’m struggling which is why i asked – made more complex by already having a nice set of 120mm fixed wheels – i seem to be limited to no mudguards and racks OR v brakes as most of the options are utility bikes rather than “road bikes”

a modified off the peg with a drop out upgrade from the likes of bob jackson audax could be a possibility although its alot of money for lugging and nice paint jobs that i really dont need.

i could trawl ebay for a frame i like that has slots and risk that i get a good one again….

and i come full circle back to the Brothercycles all day – does any one actually own one…. it sounds alot like a more featured surly – as the steamroller is lacking in bottle bosses as well – my concern is it weighs as much as a steamroller as its 4140 , its overbuilt to take offroading much like my singlecross which i believe is alot of the issue – along with the overly rigid fork.

MY singlecross is set up for road with 28c tires and 53;14 gearing – as i was using it for timetrialing over the summer. Will be going back to 48:16 shortly for winter commuting

2tyred

Similarly slightly stumped. Want a new fixed for daily duties that can go anywhere.

Current daily commuter is a pig-iron chromoly frame picked up from a friend when my Crosscheck frame corroded just a bit too much to be comfortable with. Clearance is only just OK. Truth be told I never totally took to the Surly – it was certainly much better when I replaced the half-tonne Surly fork with a carbon CX canti fork – but the tyre clearance was ace, taking a 35c Landcruiser easily. Still feel a frame costing as much as that shouldn’t corrode so easily but I didn’t exactly treat it kindly.

The Surly replaced a Pearson (Touche?) which was a nicely put-together bike they don’t appear to make any more.

What I really want is a Day One but you can only get the disc version. Bike to work scheme would make sense right now, rather than just buying a frame, although I do have a couple of wheelsets.

Everything I can see either has nothing in the way of tyre clearance or is disc-only or is an alu track bike. Woe is me.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Have you looked at Condor? Not cheap these days but a Tempo would fit the bill I think?

Had a Pista for nigh on 15 years, did tens of thousands of miles on it, but it rusted out earlier this year, swapped the frame and forks out for a s/h Genesis Flyer setup, which has the advantage of proper guards, but the ride quality is no where near that of the Condor

TiRed

Highly modified Kona Paddy Wagon
    Dolan Pre Cursa TT
    Dolan Seta Track
    Poyner 531 steel track – edgy due to geometry
    Tactic Panache 16″ folder – sub 8 kilos and a great riding position with Brompton luggage

I’ll try and upload some pictures…

trail_rat
    Free Member

the tempo is what i think im looking for .

shame its discontinued

nice one in the clearance box if your a midget

Condor Tempo 2015 Frameset

tthew

Have you looked at Condor? Not cheap these days but a Tempo would fit the bill I think?

That just came to me too, beaten to it as usual! Really nice looking bike, I’d have one of those in the opposite braking circumstance – I want disks not rims.

TiRed

If you want fixed, then any with a decent cross fork will provide clearance – you don’t need a rear brake, remember. Kona Paddy Wagon is a lovely frame, shame they ditched the drop bars, but easily remedied for a modest charge.

My next frame will be bespoke. Just beacuse I want a TCR compact frame in high-end steel/Ti.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Spa are now doing an audax mono which sounds along the lines you are looking for and won’t be too expensive. Haven’t seen pics but assume it will look much like their audax frame but with track ends.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s143p2828/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Audax-Frame-and-Forks

trail_rat
    Free Member

Now then ….. We might have a winner.

550 full bike by looks of it. Looks really nice -once you remove those gold scroll graphics.

Be even nicer if it was frame only as i have nice wheels and finishing kit ready to go on.

epicyclo

I suspect this may fit the bill. Trouble is, it’s in Oz. A whole $800AUD.

Looks almost perfect.

Kicking myself I didn’t get one while I was there a couple of months ago.

I’m not sure if you can get the Fuji Feather in this country, but they ride nicely – like a lightweight classic.

tthew

I fell off my DayOne on the way to work this morning. Big stick in the rear mudguard folded that up. Falling off as a consequence put a big hole in the knee of my tights. 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

we have a dayone in the house – its the wifes I’m not super taken by it . she replaced it with a tour de fer which is a much nicer bike to ride.

the feather – is a bit too old school looking and posh for me.

i have a long service bonus coming in at work shortly i think i might drop spa cycles an email and see if they plan to do frame only at any point.

disco_stu
    Free Member

An update to the Pompino has been promised by On-One.
    I’d love to get an updated Pompino with a bit more clearance, discs and a carbon fork.
    My current Pompino ( bought off here 8 months or so )

trail_rat
    Free Member

a pomp sprung to mind – id have taken a pomp if they were still available.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like my Pompino, though it is quite heavy and slow. Not surprising as I have mudguard, rack, dynamo, heavy tyres etc, but still not a lightweight frame.

I’m now looking at the Dolan Fxe. Its more of a road bike style, should be lighter and faster, but still space for mudguards. And available in black.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i cant get my head round that FXE frame , it looks like a nasty catalogue frame rebranded.

ITs not a pretty frame at all

i get what its trying to be but the tubeshapes are just all wrong.

kerley
    Free Member

I had a Pompino many years ago. Again another heavy and dead feeling frame. I don’t think cheap steel is actually worth bothering with and I would go for alu to save the weight as ride is not much different.
    The nicest riding steel frame I had was an 80’s 531C track frame – closely followed by a 1972 531 Mercian track frame. Should have kept both of them in hindsight.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah i dont expect a pomp would ride great – I do think that spa cycles audax that i was entirely unaware of might be the right answer.

TiRed

I want a new frame. I want a surly steamroller with mudguard and rack mounts….. for some unknown reason surly fit only a set of rear fender mounts.

Found this – looks a bit more fun

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s143p3709/BROTHER-CYCLES-The-Allday-Frameset

trail_rat
    Free Member

I mentioned that several times in my posts but it weighs over 3kg f+f it’s still over built for what I need.

I love it especially in splatter but it’s not the bike I feel I want my bike to be.

abingham

Dolan do a ‘grass track’ version of the Pre Cursa which is well thought of in the fixed gear community and it’ll fit 30mm tyres which is a bonus.

Other options could be a Mash Work/Cinelli Tutto?

I’ve had a Steamroller, which I loved, and also a Mash Parallax. Very different ends of the fixed gear spectrum but both excellent depending on what you like.

TiRed

Well if you want Audax, then a Paddy Wagon will delight. Reasonably light frame and will take 28c tyres. Mine has Shimano deep drop brakes and P35 mudguards. I’d hapily ride a 200k audiax on it, and do rides of over 250 km on mine. The wheels are a bit heavy, so mine are custom.

You can pick up a used frame from Ebay for little.

bob_summers

My dad inexplicably bought one of these (he’s 75) then moved to the top of a hill so has now bought something with gears. I take it out for a spin when I visit, really good fun. Clears 38c, takes V Brakes, just missing rackmounts really.

MASH STEEL SS FRAMESET

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah if it had rack mounts. Those are a nice looking set of forks !

footflaps

I like my Pompino, though it is quite heavy and slow. Not surprising as I have mudguard, rack, dynamo, heavy tyres etc, but still not a lightweight frame.

I commute everyday on a 2006 Il Pompino. Just stuck a new fork and disc brake on the front last week as I was fed up with lack of braking in the wet. It’s not the lightest bike, but I love how it rides, great for hacking through traffic / town.

Toying with getting someone to weld on some disc mounts for the rear, so I can go full disc on it…

shermer75
    Free Member

The Steamroller I had was lovely to ride, comfortable and it felt ‘fast’, like some frames do. I put mudguards on there using P-clips, I reckon you could put racks on the same way too

IvanMTB
    Free Member

My slightly modded 1986 Dawes Stratos.
    Not seeing much use these days but once it was my main do-it-all bike.

Still love it to the bits 😀

null

bob_summers

Toying with getting someone to weld on some disc mounts for the rear

How do disk brakes fare with track ends?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

ermmm… Normally?

Used to have Inbred Slot Drop-Outs that was literary track ends with gear hanger. No issues whatsoever…

null

footflaps

Surprised you get away with QR in track ends, I assumed it would slip under load.

tthew

How do disk brakes fare with track ends?

ermmm… Normally?

Well not really, those are special drop outs with brakes that can slide along with the axle. You have to have some kind of positional adjustment to get the pads tracking the disk properly.

epicyclo

kerley

I had a Pompino many years ago. Again another heavy and dead feeling frame…

Put a carbon fork on a Pomp and it’s a whole different story. (But I’ve never run skinny tyres on them).

I’ve done quite a few centuries on mine and it’s still one of my favourite bikes, especially for doing long rides like the Dingwall/Ledmore loop (125 miles). Plus you don’t feel too guilty if you give them a beating, such as riding parts of the HT550 on them. 🙂

Another bonus in this part of the world is they’ll take decent sized mudguards.

For feel the Fuji Feather should be nice. I had the Fuji Track which is more or less the same bike and it felt as good as my 531c Flying Scot. I wouldn’t have parted with mine but my daughter wanted it when she outgrew her Pompino.

13thfloormonk

That one model year of the Charge Plug 1?

Aluminium, 120mm track ends, clearance for 40s AND guards, v-brake mounts, lovely pink paint job (also available in black). Builds up under 10kg with cheap heavy wheels, PDW guards and bog standard parts elsewhere.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Well not really,

Really, not an issue. They are not special. Track end plus slider for re-positioning caliper once you tensioned the chain.
    Obviously brazing/welding disc adaptor with slide-ability is not much different to brazing/welding one without.

Cheers!
    I.

kerley
    Free Member

Why are people discussing rear disc brakes on a fixed gear thread? A rear brake is superfluous let alone a disc brake.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Show and tell …. Fixies’ is closed to new replies.