Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Show and tell …. Fixies
  • kerley
    Free Member

Put a carbon fork on a Pomp and it’s a whole different story.

Different strokes I guess, just as people who like Steamrollers. Nothing wrong with them but I prefer light and responsive frames which to many would be probably put in the uncomfortable category. I also only do 2-3 hour rides at the longest.
    My preference is alu track frames which are obviously not built for road comfort and usually have substantial seat stays compared to a road frame.

tthew

Why are people discussing rear disc brakes on a fixed gear thread?

Well the original question has been answered so it’s wandered off topic, but yeah, I’ll shut up now. 🤐

Garry_Lager

Why are people discussing rear disc brakes on a fixed gear thread? A rear brake is superfluous let alone a disc brake.

Because fixed down any sort of sustained hill is bolex and a rear brake makes a big difference? A sensible consideration if you live anywhere hilly.

jonba
    Free Member

Pompetamine

Not a fixie but a singlespeed.

Powder coated pompetamine. It was my commuter but a stuck broken seatpost left me without transport. Bought a 2nd hand Cotic Roadrat to tide me over and prefer it for commuting duties – feels more nimble.

Sneaky stealth ad as this is for sale. In Newcastle or driving down the A1/M1 to Surrey at some point over xmas 😉

TiRed

pedant here, but technically rear facing dropouts aren’t always track. Their length matters. Proper track ends allow the selection of a range of chainring/sprocket combinations without changing the chain. My Dolans are much longer (2″) than my Paddy Wagon (1″). I can change one tooth on the PW, but that is about it. And of course there is the issue of mudguard rub.

kerley
    Free Member

Because fixed down any sort of sustained hill is bolex and a rear brake makes a big difference? A sensible consideration if you live anywhere hilly.

Fair enough if you live in thee mountains I suppose and the front disc is not good enough. Saying that, if I lived in the mountains I probably wouldn’t ride a fixed gear bike which is a hard thing for me to say.

kilo

I have a pinnacle monzonite on fixed, bought to replace a langster which was a bit to sporty for me. Takes guards and larger tyres although I only use 25c ones.
    Nice steel frame, changed the wheels, saddle and brake levers for stuff I already had. Bike itself was only c£250 very good value. I had been looking for similar to a day one and this ticks all the boxes for me.

Fixie

trail_rat
    Free Member

info for anyone that cares.

Audax Mono – late march delivery on the frameset.

MUST NOT BUY COMPLETE BIKE AND STRIP IT !

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

rear facing dropouts

So… not dropouts then 😉

Three brakes on fixed is underrated. I did Paris-Roubaix on this:

null

TiRed

And now I’m sad – the Paddy Wagom is dead. Kona have dropped it for 2020 🙁 . OK mine is 2007, my most ridden bike and only the frame and brake levers are original, but it is just a wonderful ride. In fact lookign at their web page, all their steel road bikes are gone. Gravel is clearly king.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fair enough if you live in thee mountains I suppose and the front disc is not good enough. Saying that, if I lived in the mountains I probably wouldn’t ride a fixed gear bike which is a hard thing for me to say.

Out of interest, where do you ride if 23mm tyres and fixed gears work off road?

tthew

I did Paris-Roubaix on this:

I’ve done Tour of Flanders 86 miler twice on my DayOne. Did the new length 107 miles this year, bailed to gears and don’t regret the decision one bit!

hopster
    Free Member

Renovate a really old one?

kerley
    Free Member

Out of interest, where do you ride if 23mm tyres and fixed gears work off road?

The New Forest. Singletrack is about 100 metres from my house and gravel roads start at about a mile away. I can ride off road because the off road is so tame and while undulating there are not many long steep hills but I do ride with a 60 inch gear which is clearly very low for a fixed gear and I can’t even attempt to stay with road riders on road sections but great on gravel.

epicyclo

umop3pisdn

Three brakes on fixed is underrated. I did Paris-Roubaix on this:

That’s tidy. Reminds me of this http://www.63xc.com/sriley/pompriley.htm

@hopster
    what’s that frame? Looks just right with Chater Lea. 🙂

Bez

Well not really, those are special drop outs with brakes that can slide along with the axle.

Pretty sure they’re not (you’re thinking of sliding or rocker dropouts), they’re just track ends with slotted IS mounts, same as on my Longitude. Works absolutely fine.

i cant get my head round that FXE frame , it looks like a nasty catalogue frame rebranded. ITs not a pretty frame at all. i get what its trying to be but the tubeshapes are just all wrong.

I’m with you on that. Plus it’s heavy and has needlessly compromised tyre clearance (though it will still *just* fit GP4000 28s which are about 30mm). I think it looks better with some extra paint, though, and it’s still for sale cheap if you fancy a punt on something that doesn’t really fit your criteria 🙂

plus-one

My renovated bob Jackson(sold on)

I also second the Kona band wagon very comfy mine is 2010 version

trail_rat
    Free Member

Paddywagons a nice bike but I don’t want another Kona. My tourer is a rove Al

My cargo bike is a sutra with an extra cycle.

That bob Jackson is lovely I do like his work but I struggle with using it as a beater. This bike lives in the garden ready to rock and roll

tthew

Pretty sure they’re not (you’re thinking of sliding or rocker dropouts),

*sigh – I said I was going to leave it, but here I am again. I understood the

Actually, no **** it. I’m not getting sucked in. Have a great weekend, may your tracknuts remain torqued.

hopster
    Free Member

@epicyclo. Thought it was a Flying Scot but the frame numbers don’t match up so gave up. Tried Classic rendezvous for identifying and some of the members were really helpful. More pics here of the bike before and after. The only parts I paid someone else to work on were the chroming of the cranks and the frame respray, everything else was done by me including the lug lining.

epicyclo

Lovely looking bike. Stick up a few more pics here – I’m not the only one here who appreciates the clean lines of a proper bike.

BTW where did you get the rechroming done?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

I rode this as a fixie for a while, it was hard work though, especially downhill and over anything remotely technical. I’ve switched it back to a freehub now though.

kerley
    Free Member

it was hard work though,

Not surprised, its about 5 sizes too small looking at that stem and seat post 🙂

Take the brakes off if you want to get some really hard work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Take the brakes off if you want to get some really hard work.

Brakeless fixie not on the track It’s like an idiot badge for cyclists really.

hopster
    Free Member

@epicyclo I got the cranks chromed here. Not a cheap process!

davidj

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hZkHup]Tempo[/url] by davejevons, on Flickr

Condor tempo fixie which replaced a slightly too big kona paddy wagon. Rides nicely and looking to do some Audax next year.

kerley
    Free Member

Brakeless fixie not on the track It’s like an idiot badge for cyclists really.

All depends where you live and ride and if you are capable of riding one really.

Bez

All depends where you live and ride and if you are capable of riding one really.

But for the subset of “not on the track” that’s ”on the road”, though, it’s still illegal and less able to stop quickly than one with a front brake, no matter how much more awesome the rider is than law-abiding people 😉

kerley
    Free Member

It is VERY marginally slower to stop in the dry (and quicker than a novice bike rider with 2 brakes)
    If that makes me awesome then fair enough, I am pretty good at riding a fixed gear bike after 20 years of doing so if I do say so myself.

As for law abiding, not really sure for the gravel and single track I mostly ride on.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I find it mindboggling what laws folk will break for a purely aesthetic reason.

fossy

I wore rims out in 18 months on my Fixed commuter, with leg braking. No way would I not have three brakes in town traffic.

Bez

It is VERY marginally slower to stop in the dry

If we’re comparing outright capacity to stop then physics would disagree, unless you have a rather loose definition of “very” or “marginally”.

As for law abiding, not really sure for the gravel and single track I mostly ride on.

If it’s a public right of way then it’s a public highway and the law about having a front brake applies.

epicyclo

@kerley 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

You will notice his lack of brake there, he know’s what he is doing.

kerley
    Free Member

If we’re comparing outright capacity to stop then physics would disagree, unless you have a rather loose definition of “very” or “marginally”.

All depends if you have tested it or not I suppose. I have which is what my statement is based on.

I also qualified my first statement with “All depends where you live and ride”
    Where I live and ride there are no pedestrians, no roundabouts, no pavements, no traffic lights, no crossings and very few junctions and most of my riding is not even on the road. Other than stopping to open gates I can’t recall actually having to come to a complete stop at any time this year.

However, if I rode through towns I would have a front brake as I wouldn’t take the risk on an extra metre of stopping distance.

kerley
    Free Member

I find it mindboggling what laws folk will break for a purely aesthetic reason.

Yep, it is hard being an aesthete sometimes. At least I think that is what people are shouting at me.

2tyred

You will notice his lack of brake there, he know’s what he is doing.

Dude’s saddle is on backwards and his socks don’t look UCI compliant to me.

Beast of a gear he’s riding though.

ajantom

Keep meaning to take a pic when of mine, though it’s not that special….OG blue Pompino with mismatched yellow Planet X forks.

In fact the most interesting thing about are the brakes – Magura CX jobs, HS66s. Probably worth more than the rest of the bike!

Done 200 miles on it the last couple of weeks. 45 miles on a fixie running a 50×18 round hilly East Devon is good exercise!

Garry_Lager

Leg braking a grown-up gear is hard on the legs Kerley (I’ll slow my speed with the legs but never skid stop) – we all know pedalling fixed builds mighty knees, but persistent hard skid stopping is a recipe for injury IMO (chronic at that). It’s putting a lot of force through the lower quad in a poorly controlled / stable way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

All depends if you have tested it or not I suppose

yeah i believe it was tested in controlled conditions for the courts from 14mph the results were 4ft on the bike with 2 brakes and 40 ft for the fixed wheel bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Show and tell …. Fixies’ is closed to new replies.