Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • should you be required to carry safety equipment on mamats? (man made trails)
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The last few rides at dalby I’ve found, tyre levers, multi-tools, 2 pumps a co2 pump head.

There are even inner tubes growing on trees there too 🙁

crankboy
    Free Member

Rule #84// Follow the Code.
    Consistently with The Code Of The Domestique, the announcement of a flat tyre in a training ride entitles – but does not oblige – all riders then present in the bunch to cease riding without fear of being labelled Pussies. All stopped riders are thereupon entitled – but not obliged – to lend assistance, instruction and/or stringent criticism of the tyre mender’s technique. The duration of a Rule #84 stop is entirely discretionary, but is generally inversely proportional to the duration of the remaining time available for post-ride espresso.17

Also you can fix a flat tyre by stuffing it with grass and putting it back on takes ages and is soft but it does mean you can ride out.

pictonroad

Why are people carrying zip ties:

SSUK Gathering 2013 by pictonroad, on Flickr

Saved me a ten mile walk, and more importantly, got me to the pub & hog roast, THAT’s why people are carrying zip ties…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

In my camelback at all times:
    3 litre bladder
    First aid kit
    Two tubes (even though all bikes tubeless)
    Tyre boots
    Patches and levers
    At least 2 pairs of brake pads – 1 sintered, 1 organic/kevlar (same brakes on all bikes)
    3 different mech hangers c/w bolts (one for each bike)
    Gear cable
    Chainring bolt
    Rotor bolt
    Multitool with chainsplitter
    2 missing links
    a short length of chain, maybe 3 links.
    Mini pliers/tool
    Cable ties
    Pump
    Gaffer tape (wrapped around pump)
    Cheap packable waterproof
    Liners for gloves
    Emergency Haribos or Marsbar

Optional as appropriate:
    Spare gloves
    Rear mech
    Spare buff
    Lunch
    Map
    Compass
    mid layer
    waterproof jacket

and previously a spare cleat and bolts (no longer as now on flats)

brassneck

Zip ties are great when your freehub packs up miles from anywhere, can ride home almost normally.

I usually carry a fair bit in the Camelbak, but it’s for long rides. If I’m only out for an hour or two I grab a tube a pump and some tyre levers .. maybe some leech stick on things if I remember. Can’t see why I’d want to walk 10 miles home for carrying something that is zero hassle to have in a pocket, trail center or no.

saxabar
    Free Member

Genuine question: why brake pads?

FWIW to original question: no!

For me: water, two tubes, tool and pump (and keep meaning to chuck a couple of ties in)

bullroar
    Free Member

To add to zip tie versatility. Smashed the U part of the brake lever clamp near the top of The Fort WC course but the pin on the brake side were still there. Two small ties round the pins and bars and all is good, well sufficient functionality to complete the route.

bobbyspangles

‘mamats’ is just a silly abbreviation.

we all know what we refer to when the term ‘man made trails’ is used.

antigee

bobbyspangles – Member
    ‘mamats’ is just a silly abbreviation.

klumpy
    Free Member

we all know what we refer to when the term ‘man made trails’ is used.

All trails (well, footpaths, bridleways, byeways, and trail centers) are man made.

persona
    Free Member

He he.. 😆 Ever thought about preventative maintenance or actually paying attention to the state of disrepair of your bikes junkyard?
    Your jockey wheel bolt didn’t come loose and fall out all by itself.
    and why on earth would I carry disc pads on every ride when I only need to replace them less than once a year per bike? I will carry a set when they are on their very last slither of braking material. Do those of you who do and have multiple bikes, carry pads for each brand/model of brake you own or have the added faf of sorting out your survival kit for each bike before you head out?

I didn’t say I never carry anything, I do carry no more than I realistically need though as I hate back packs or frame luggage. I’m lucky enough to have around 40miles of singletrack within a 5mile radius of home and this means on local rides I can take no more than the bare minimum of a tube/pump/multi-tool/phone in a small camelback but occasionally won’t even take that as it feels much nicer to ride un-laden (and a 3mile(ish) walk home is still enjoyable excercise).
    I don’t carry much more for riding further afield really either. (just add a puncture repair kit, some money, food and more water capacity)

I honestly don’t need a powerlink, zipties or a spare mech hanger as I have a multitool to remove any broken component completely or repair my chain if needs be.

I will always stop and offer any help/assistance I can to anyone in need without some sort of bizarre predjudice towards complete strangers based on what they are or aren’t riding/wearing/carrying etc.

Oh.. and Somewhatslightlydazed I’m one of those selfish people who doesn’t often wear a helmet too. Not sure exactly how that effects you at all ever.

bobbyspangles

ok, spade made trails? spats?

or

mattock made trails? mamails?

or how about

bench cut trails with both man and machine used to build them for the sole remit of mountain bicycles riding down them? becutrmamausbusoremoubicyriddothem? that does’nt even make sense, and would take an awfully long time to both say and explain.

br
    Free Member

If they wear out and/or delaminate mid-ride.

binners

Sheep made trails? shats?

br
    Free Member

Oh.. and Somewhatslightlydazed I’m one of those selfish people who doesn’t often wear a helmet too. Not sure exactly how that effects you at all ever.

Because it’d be quite upsetting for us to come across you injured by the trail, and not have enough bandages in OUR (because you don’t see the need to carry one) first aid kits to stem the bleeding.

Northwind

persona – Member

why on earth would I carry disc pads on every ride when I only need to replace them less than once a year per bike?

I could probably achieve that rate of replacement but only by owning about 20 bikes. Easy to go through a set in miles rather than rides, in the right conditions, but even in normal conditions if you put the miles on the bike, bits wear out.

Because I thought we were talking about safety equipment at trail centres.

If i was riding at a trail centre and came across someone who had suffered a head injury I would stop and help. By the time I had sorted out first aid, arranged for an ambulance, guided medics to the spot etc. it would have ruined my day.

If said person had not been wearing a helment, I would feel pretty pissed off at them not taking even elementary safety precautions.

Or do you just hand out inner tubes and ride on by when anbody really needs help.

persona
    Free Member

To add to zip tie versatility. Smashed the U part of the brake lever clamp near the top of The Fort WC course but the pin on the brake side were still there. Two small ties round the pins and bars and all is good, well sufficient functionality to complete the route.

Assuming you had 2 working brakes before your crash? you couldn’t possibly have been more than a mile’s careful downhill roll using your working brake from the bike shop at the bottom or a 5minute push back to the gondola.. You crayzee zip tie survivalists and your amazing stories 😆 trail centre cafe’s/car parks need more of you.

persona
    Free Member

if someone has a serious head injury and you’re more pissed off your trail centre bimble/shred has been cut short than worried about their safety, I think you need to re-assess exactly who’s being selfish.

Serious head injury can happen whether a piece of polystyrene is between your head and the impact or not you know.

Yes. clearly.. I just bandage peoples heads up with an inner tube then use all the pent up rage from the inconvenience of having to stop to blast back down the trail hitting new PBs on all the following STRAVA segments.

ahwiles
    Free Member

saxabar – Member

for one thing, there’s always one numpty who’s bought 8pairs of pads for £5, and is amazed when they fall apart…

i carried a few pairs of (mostly worn, or a bit oily) shimano pads around in my bag for years, they’ve all been handed out to help other people get home/keep riding.

persona
    Free Member

if you put the miles on the bike, bits wear out.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I ride considerably more miles than you, mainly on 2 bikes (1x road, 1x mtb).

khegs
    Free Member

if someone has a serious head injury and you’re more pissed off your trail centre bimble/shred has been cut short than worried about their safety, I think you need to re-assess exactly who’s being selfish.

The person not wearing the helmet, obviously, why should a complete stranger care more about your safety than you do?

Of course they’ll stop & help, if they are a decent human being, doesn’t mean that going riding off road without a lid isn’t incredibly dumb & selfish.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m not so sure my initial judgement was off, frankly.

persona
    Free Member

let’s put it another way khegs, say you’re heading out to meet someone locally and you turn a corner to find a child lying on the pavement with no helmet on and their head split open.
    selfish little bugger, eh? 🙄

Err No. My day will be ruined because its not very pleasant having to sort out a serious bike crash. I find dealing with somebody covered in blood and talking nonsense/screaming in pain can be quite stressfull.

Helments are not expensive and not uncomfortable. Its selfish not to take even elementary safety precations when you are carrying out an activity where landing on your head is more likely than usual.

khegs
    Free Member

I did specify “off road” for a reason, you know.

I might have some choice words for the parent of said damaged sprog though, after I had made sure the little sod was ok/on it’s way to hospital.

persona
    Free Member

Fair enough, if that’s your reasoning, you’ll be glad to know that when I’m riding off road landing on my head IS no more likely than usual and is exactly why I choose when not to wear one, that and the fact they are uncomfortable, especially when you are hot/sweaty from excerting yourself.

persona
    Free Member

khegs – a pavement is as hard surface than anything you’re likely to find off-road.

I might have some choice words for the parent of said damaged sprog though, after I had made sure the little sod was ok/on it’s way to hospital.

nice! I’m sure that’s just what a worried parent wants to hear at an emotional and worrying time.

The child hadn’t even been riding a bike BTW, he was walking along a 5ft high stone wall and slipped, the wall hadn’t been risk assessed and he didn’t have a safety harness or anyone belaying him either.. it’s Ok though, the child was me and it was back in the 70s when people seemed to have more common sense, be able to make choices for themselves and often had a better social awareness when it came to caring for others.

khegs
    Free Member

well you didn’t specify (& I did admittedly assume nipper on a bike) & yeah kids are kids

Oh, and do kindly go **** yourself, just because someone thinks you are a tool for not taking reasonable precautions (or isn’t aware of the full picture etc) doesn’t mean they are lacking in social awareness or empathy, or that they are going to leave you bleeding on the ground

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the fact they are uncomfortable, especially when you are hot/sweaty from excerting yourself.

IIRC at least one of the big brands it marketing their latest helmets as being cooler than a bare head due to flow of air through the vents. Even wearing my mid priced MTB lid (sans peak) on road club runs it’s not noticable.

persona
    Free Member

I tend to think anyone who resorts to personal insults on the internet is a complete coward who’s devoid of social skills, nevermind socially aware.

khegs
    Free Member

Well, feel free to go on thinking that then, I’m not stopping you, doesn’t mean you are right, or even close to being right, but there ya go.

Yes, I am occasionally a sweary grump, especially when someone is unsubtly having a dig

persona
    Free Member

no one is unsubtly having a dig

khegs
    Free Member

Probably just me being grumpy, & reading too much into things then, meh.

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘should you be required to carry safety equipment on mamats? (man made trails)’ is closed to new replies.