Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Should I Upgrade My Wheels?
  • shooterman

Dithering over a wheel upgrade.

Currently riding a 26″. I’ve decided I would like to buy a new 27.5″ in the next year. However, when building my current bike, the budget compromise was in the hubs – I went for SRAM hubs on Flow rims.

Looking at a pair of 240’s or Kings as this is what I would have specced when building the bike if budget had allowed.

However, should I splurge on a pair of wheels I won’t be able to use on my next bike? Will decent wheels make a significant difference when I try to sell my current bike on?

RustySpanner

Get some wider 26 rims and fit some bigger tyres when you get your new bike?

I’d measure up very carefully first though.

You get two sets of wheels to play with and it sounds like it could be fun.
    🙂

transition1
    Free Member

Stans Flow rims are wide enough. I am guessing they are custom built wheels, as most people run Flows on Hope hubs.
    i wouldn’t bother upgrading, yes King hubs are nice I have a set on Flows & a set of Hope Pro 4’s on LB rims. I would save towards your new steed instead. I sold some 26″ wheels recently for sod all & one was a LB 26″ rim
    all custom built.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Upgrade a bike you plan to replace?

shooterman

I see your logic Al but it may be six months before I’m going to replace it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If your next bike is go be 27.5, why not plan to build your wheels, look out for “bargain” kings on some 26″ rims, strip the hub out?

Ultimate, build your next wheels.

I did this year’s ago with some kings. Had them ever since in various builds from Dh wheels, 26″ wheels to Alp wheels now 27.5 in carbon rims.

shooterman

Luke, I had been thinking of that.

If only someone would sell a bike in classifieds similar to mine I could guage if I could raise enough just to pull the trigger on a new bike!

cynic-al
    Free Member

New wheels for 6 months? Even less logic in that to me.

Might as well blow the money on something fun, a couple of hundred grand won’t make any difference to times, and little difference to fun.

chakaping
    Free Member

Will decent wheels make a significant difference when I try to sell my current bike on?

No.

Resist the urge, it will pass.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Should I Upgrade My Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.