Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • shopping with the MIL tomorrow for a new tablet, windows OS help please.
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Going to buy a new tablet with the MIL, destination John Lewis. She fancies a windows based one with a detachable keyboard any suggestions or real world experience? Thanks 1 shed

everyone
    Free Member

Windows based tablet? The surface is your best bet there. Very slick and well put together, you can get a cover that acts as a keyboard as well.

cranberry
    Free Member

I think that you would need to have very specific needs to select a Windows tablet – they haven’t sold well and app support does and always will lag behind Android and Rotten Fruit Apple tablets.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

There’s quite a lot of choice out there now but not all of them will be in JL. Offerings from ASUS, Dell, Acer, Lenovo as well as the Surface 2. Most flexibility will be with the Surface 2 Pro but that will come with a bit of a price tag. Might get some hints from here Microsoft site for new computers and things

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If it helps, but I don’t think I’m about to change your mind, Apple stuff is so much easier for those that just want thing to work.
    OK, it’s not the cheapest, but JL have a good offer on This, not the latest spec, but good storage & 3g if needed if she doesn’t want or need home broadband.

BTW, if windows still did anything as simple as XP I would say go with it, but W8 is yet another croc from the people who brought you vista 🙁

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks for the input so far, if it was my money I would go and buy another iPad. I don’t think she really knows why she why their buying it other than to stay up with the times and sees them more as a computer than a entertainment tablet. Apps are not too important.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll join the chorus – as an Applephobic (though we do own an iPad) – you want to persuade her not to get a Windows tablet and get an iPad instead (Android tablets also acceptable, but as first call for tech support there’s no way I’d allow a relative of mine to buy a Windows tablet).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We looked at Windows tablets and settled for a touchscreen windows laptop.

Why? Because to get a tablet with any kind of performance you had to spend £700 +. We got the touchscreen laptop for £400 which has similar/better performance.

What we have found, and you need to check out with the tablet. There is the new tablet interface (which is fantastic) but on the laptop if you need yo use word/excel, in fact most software it then launches you in to an almost old world pc desktop type scenario. However its not quite a proper desktop scenario so is properly frustrating and awkward to use.

nickjb
    Free Member

If apps are not too important then what does she want it to do? For the basics (web browsing, looking at pics, etc) then they are all pretty similar so you might as well go for android as it’ll be much cheaper. As above you need a reason to go for windows.

ask1974
    Free Member

I don’t think she really knows why she why their buying it other than to stay up with the times and sees them more as a computer than a entertainment tablet. Apps are not too important.

Then don’t buy a tablet, you know perfectly well they are not computers… A tablet is all about Apps. If you get her a Windows tablet she’ll hate it; an Android will probably frustrate her but be cheaper; Apple is the only one she has an outside chance of enjoying but will cost more, however the range of Apps and simple UI will likely win her over more so than the competition – Android is nice but lacks Apples intuitiveness, not for someone who’s not tech literate IMO.

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks again, should be going shopping soon. No love for Windows anywhere.

leffeboy

Well jut to change that, I have a Surface 2 (the rt version) and love it. Everything said so far I think is true but the surface works well if…
    -you have to write Word or Excel docs on it
    -you already have other Windows 8 machines in the house
    -you aren’t too fussed with lots of apps

Under those conditions it is brilliant. The RT version comes with free version of Office which is great. Most websites work perfectly (which is not true for the ipad) and skydrive means that I or my children can save their work on one of the windows 8 machines and then pick up the surface to continue. If you uses a windows 8 phone it works with that as well of course.

So if you have the cash and meet those other conditions as well then it’s great otherwise maybe something else

Btw. You will see special offers for the first version of the surface but I’m not sure it’s so good (according to reviews). I’ve only used the surface 2 and I love it

sharkbait
    Free Member

Windows…. *shudders*
    Whatever you get make sure it’s as simple to use as possible (unless your MIL is savvy).

Edit: I’m typing this on my new Acer Chromebook and it’s fab. Light, proper keyboard, loads of battery life, instant on and loads of google apps. Cheap too.
    Depending on what she wants to use it for I’d say it’s better than any tablet (and we have 4 Apple/Android tablets in the house).

richardk
    Free Member

Why don’t you ask her what she want’s to do on it? If it’s lots of office based stuff (spreadsheets, powerpoints etc) then a windows tablet is good (but a touchscreen laptop may be even better). If its basic email, browsing, TV catch up etc, then other tablets are better.

Also look at their strength (can they hold a 10″ tablet, or is 7″ better), and their eyesight (10″ is better for poor eyesight).

If you get chance, go and look at a Hudl, especially if they are familiar with Tescos

1-shed
    Free Member

iPad bought, thanks for all your help.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

iPad bought, thanks for all your help.

😆

I had a feeling it would end this way.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

😆
    Which one out of interest?

1-shed
    Free Member

iPad 2 with 16 gb and a cover from TK Maxx. Sorted.

1-shed
    Free Member

what was quite interesting was the first person to serve us was very pro Samsung, I let him prattle on as I’d already clocked his visitors badge, I then asked him “who do you work for”? Answer “Samsung”. MIL probably would have bought that if I hadn’t been there due to his patter! I think if they are from a company other than John Lewis they should disclose it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘shopping with the MIL tomorrow for a new tablet, windows OS help please.’ is closed to new replies.