Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shock experts! Will this tune work? At all?
  • akip
    Free Member

Just bought a brand-new RS Monarch Plus RC3 for my Intense Tracer 2 from a private seller. Asked the state of tune, and he said it’s straight from the factory, so should be medium/medium.

Got it home, and noticed two stickers on the side: “LL”, one red, one blue. Am I right in thinking that these refer to rebound and compression tunes? Will this low/low combo work on my Tracer2, or should I try to return the shock?

Would be a shame, as I got it at a very good price, but getting the tune changed would make the total cost more than sourcing a new shock from a retailer…

devash
    Free Member

J-Tech or Loco will retune a new shock for less than a full service.

J-Tech did a new Fox RP23 for me that was brand new but came off a new frame from the LBS instead of being retail. Completely changed the ride of my bike. Recommended.

akip
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, but the seller has agreed to take the shock back, if it turns out I can’t use it. If I pay for a tune change to med/med, then the total cost is way more than the cost of ordering another new one from Germany…

poah
    Free Member

are you sure its new, I thought all the RC3’s are MM now

akip
    Free Member

It’s OEM, taken off a new frame…

JCL
    Free Member

They (and SC) have the most antisquat in the industry and initial falling rate so I would think it would need the lowest compression tune possible. Maybe a M rebound but you should be fine with an L with a high volume air can.

How much do you weigh? Unless you’re really heavy I would keep it over the MM as I bet it’s closer to optimum. Manufacturers aren’t always right with tune specs or shocks for that matter!

poah
    Free Member

akip – Member

It’s OEM, taken off a new frame…

the air valve is on the opposite side to the compression lever then?

scruff
    Free Member

Loco / JTech / TF will tune it specifically to you, your bike and your riding, not just an ‘average rider’ tune from the factory, its worth doing when new as you shouldn’t need to pay for general service parts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shock experts! Will this tune work? At all?’ is closed to new replies.