Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shipping a whole bike after sale – advice.
  • spence
    Free Member

Currently trying to sell an old bike on e-bay, one barrier to potential buyers is collection only. So thinking of offering shipping.

Not having done this before, how would one go about sending a bike to a winning bidder? Who’s best to use and how does it all work – packing, collection, pitfalls etc.?

weeksy

You get a box from LBS, you use PAisley Freight to insured value, for example £1000 = £50 posted.

That’s it… if there’s a shipping issue, it’s down to them.

If it’s a bike issue… well, it’s your own fault 🙂

robbo1234biking

Paisley can deliver a bike box to you as well for about £15. Our local bike shop started charging for old bike boxes so it was easier just to get paisley to deliver one to home and than mess about collecting it etc when I would be paying the same price. Depends on your LBS I guess!

daern
    Free Member

Couple of notes from my own experience of sending and receiving bikes:

If the bike you’re sending is half decent, expect to spend a fair bit of time dismantling and carefully protecting the parts from damage in the box. Couriers will not handle your bike like it’s fragile porcelain, so package it accordingly. For example, this was a bike I recently received and considered it a good example of a well packaged bike:

Note that all of the frame was wrapped or protected with pipe lagging. Any bits that stick out that could be damaged were removed (e.g. pedals, rear mech, handlebars with shifters etc.) and then carefully secured to the frame with more packing material and tape so that they couldn’t rub during transport. Make sure that the frame and fork dropouts are protected against compression, by wedging something in between (cardboard tube works well) and that nothing can shift around once it’s all in the box. Generally pack the rest of the space with more bubblewrap or spare packaging.

It’s worth checking that the person receiving the bike is aware that they’ll have a bit of work to do when they unpack it. If they are nervous, then mail-ordering probably isn’t for them, or they need to factor a trip to the LBS to put the thing back together for them.

There’s nothing difficult here and I’ve bought and sold plenty of bikes this way, but make sure you don’t underestimate the work it takes to make sure it arrives at the other end in perfect condition.

postierich
    Free Member

Go down to your local bike shop and ask them if they will send using the couriers they use I,m lucky my lbs sends lots of bikes via DHL £15

Rich

bukobuko
    Free Member

excellent advise right here. I use cable ties to secure the wheels, seat post and handlebars with packing in between. I get a good quality Free Box and Packaging from Halfords, a Boardman or Carrera Box is way stronger(if its not been flattened). I take pictures of the bike before and after packing highlighting any scratches.

The courier will ask for a deliver contact number I write it on the box as well.

andrewreay

Halfords good for free boxes.

Paisley seem well regarded.

Can’t recommend Direct Courier Solutions. Had a woeful time with them in September (after a couple of good ones).

Good idea about asking your LBS to share their courier.

Likewise photos of the bike before and during packing.

Total dismantling of the bike seems a bit severe. Especially as it can be a pita to secure the loose bits within the box so that they don’t rattle around and strike other parts.

Pedals off, bars twisted seems to be how the big shops send their bikes, and I’ve yet to receive one damaged.

And you can avoid compression damaage by leaving the wheels in!

spence
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. Not heard of Paisley Freight, look simple enough from their website.

andrewh
    Free Member

Halfords give bike boxes for free.
    Would stay well clear of Paisley Freight (and sister company bikedelivery.co.uk) Failed to collect, no explanation, no apology, no nothing. Then point blank refused to contact sender (I was having it shipped from him to me) and left me to sort out the mess. Absolute shambles. Still going on too.

daern
    Free Member

Would stay well clear of Paisley Freight (and sister company bikedelivery.co.uk) Failed to collect, no explanation, no apology, no nothing. Then point blank refused to contact sender (I was having it shipped from him to me) and left me to sort out the mess. Absolute shambles. Still going on too.

In the interest of balance, however, I’ve used them plenty of times and never had an issue. Most deliveries are next day and I’m yet to have a problem with them. They normally outsource bikes to APC and they seem to do a decent job compared to the other mainstream couriers. In fact, the local delivery chap and I have become nodding acquaintances with him commenting “another new bike?” when delivering yet another suspiciously large parcel. I suspect that, much like being on first-name terms at the off license, this may be indicative of a problem…

andyl
    Free Member

I think this is who I used, website looks different now: https://sendbike.com/

andrewh
    Free Member

Well, Paisley Freight/Bikedelivery.co.uk have failed to turn up again to collect. No phonce call from them, no nothing. Very unhelpful in their emails (no phone number).
    Stay well clear OP.
    People have been waiting in for them to collect, and others taking time off to accept delivery. Really pi$$ed off with them.
    Going to try that sendbike the other Andy mentions and invouce PF for the all the wasted hours.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shipping a whole bike after sale – advice.’ is closed to new replies.