Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shiny brake pad problem (Saints)
  • Kit
    Free Member

I’m having a problem with my Shimano Saint brakes – I recently put two fresh sets of pads in (one organic, one sintered) and have managed two rides and now I get virtually no power in the rear (160mm) and almost nothing in the front (203mm), except an audible squeek/juddering from the front when I’m almost stopped.

When I took the pads out, both sets had a distinct shine to the surfaces. I’ve had this on two previous sets of pads recently, but has never been a problem before.

I’ve had a previous issue of contaminated pads at the front due to a leaking piston, although this is what my lbs told me and I never bothered to ask to see the pads in question. This caliper was changed a few months back, however, and there’s no sign of fluid leakage at either front or rear calipers (not that I can spot anyway – thought it would be obvious?).

I doubt they pads are glazed, as frankly I’ve only done two very cold, fairly slow technical rides with them. Maybe I didn’t bed them in properly? The rear brake certainly needs bled, and the front actually feels like it has too much fluid in it.

Both rotors got a good clean with degreaser and water prior to the pads being changed. I’ve also rubbed the shiny pads on the sandstone walls of my tenement to rough the surface up again, but that’s made no difference. Maybe the degreaser is the problem? I assumed it would work the same as a metal cleaner…

Any ideas? I’m reluctant to buy more (expensive Shimano) pads to find the same problem.

Cheers, Kit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glazed pads is my guess – glazing happens when the brakes don’t get hot enough / used hard enough – sand back the surface of the pad and bed in.

Kit
    Free Member

That was what I was trying to acheive scraping them against the wall! Maybe sandpaper would be better…

steel4real
    Free Member

I had poor performance with Aztec pads. Have since stuck to the actual shimano sintered and organic in my (old style) saints & XT’s in a variety of condiotns including Alpine descents and no further problems.

For me the cost of the shimano pads seems worth it for the performance.

steel4real
    Free Member

P.S. I always ‘bed in’ pads, 10-15 hard stops on each brake from about 20mph on the steep street at my house.

I know that is ‘controvertial’ or however you spell is but it works for me and sintered pads last me for months or even years !

Kit
    Free Member

My pads have always been the ‘real deal’, hence the reluctance to shell out £35 for two new pairs 🙁

sofatester
    Free Member

Wee on them?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shiny brake pad problem (Saints)’ is closed to new replies.