Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shining Cliff
  • russianbob
    Free Member

Hi

I know a few of you are Derwent Valley based.

Shining Cliff Woods and Crich Chase used to be my MTB stomping grounds back in the early-mid nineties.

I’ll be visiting my folks this weekend as was going to take our eldest for a spin round. I know there’s a load of stuff in Shining Cliff but was thinking of looping onto the other side of the valley to ride down Crich Chase from Chadwicknick back to the canal. I have a couple of questions….

Is it possible to get out of SCW at the north end near the caravan park? Back in the day there used to be a gate that you had to climb over and there wasn’t a public right of way. Sometimes you got lucky, other times you got told off – what’s it like these days?

Is Crich Chase rideable? I used to ride down on the footpaths and back then there wasn’t anyone around to say anything, and even if there was they didn’t really object. I guess because I was going fairly slow on a fully rigid.

Any other tips for that specific area would be ace.

the-muffin-man

what’s it like these days?

The trails themselves are very similar – some have overgrown, some new ones have developed.

Little chance of getting out Caravan Park end now, if you wanted to go that way. It’s not been doable for years (last time we did it at night we get shot at!) Although it has been some years since I ventured that was as it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Out the top through Alderwasley Park would be a better option.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?x=432800&y=352833&z=115&sv=432800,352833&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map&searchp=ids&dn=770&ax=432800&ay=352833&lm=0

What has changed is Shining Cliffs popularity with walkers and families at weekends. Since lock-down the place has never been busier, and there are cars parked everywhere just over Halfpenny Bridge.

Crich Chase is a little quieter but not as much riding in there of course.

russianbob
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. Getting out at the caravan park end was always touch and go, even on foot. Alderwasley park was going to be my second option. We’ll be riding in so no worries with parking.

dazzydw
    Free Member

Yes as above
    Shining cliff now very busy with walkers at weekends. Crich less busy. All of it is footpath so obvs don’t post on an Internet forum that you’re intending on riding it. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shining Cliff’ is closed to new replies.