Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano SLX M7000 Brakes – reach adjust?
  • dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some SLX M7000 brakes from chainreaction. I’ve shortened the hoses and fitted the brakes, but only having small hands I thought that the reach adjust would be ideal, but when I bring the levers in towards the bars the feel goes spongy. Is that supposed to happen?
    When the levers are adjusted the other way (further away from the bar) the feel gets firmer again
    I’ve done the 5 min bleed / burp and got some remaining air bubbles out, but I honestly thought that the brakes would “feel” firmer
    Any suggestions or is this how the reach adjust works in reality?
    Thanks

otsdr
    Free Member

I’ve just tried it out and indeed, the levers feel firmer when dialed further away, but I think it has to do with the leverage/force of the finger tip vs 1st knuckle.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Set the levers to where you want them and give them a proper bleed using the non return funnel and all will be good

otsdr
    Free Member

The actuating bit between the lever and the piston rod does not move at all, so the adjustment can’t possibly affect anything inside the master cylinder.
    There may be a small difference in leverage ratio between the two extreme positions, but I’m thinking it is negligible.

dai3015
    Free Member

Yes, have got the shimano funnel and have done the quick top down bleed with the levers in the right position and they still don’t feel “firm ” with quite a bit of free play before they bite

steve_b77
    Free Member

What’s a top down bleed? Funnel in brake with master cylinder horizontal, push fluid through from caliper until all bubbles are gone, nip up nipple, flick the lever a bit and do it again

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Not really a fix but sometimes I take the wheel out and pump the calipers up to a point where the disk just fits in. This gives a firm bite straight away.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SLX M7000 Brakes – reach adjust?’ is closed to new replies.