Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano M770 upgrade
  • Hamsterfish
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading the groupset on my beloved Turner 5-spot from an aged M770 to the modern single chainring setup.

Any immediate challenges? Thoughts;
    – the 12 speed cassette might not fit on my Hope Pro II hubs
    – the crank spindle might not be compatible with the threaded BB I have fitted

Or am I to be directed to eBay for obsolete parts 🙁

tomhoward

the 12 speed cassette might not fit on my Hope Pro II hubs

Either a new free hub will fit your cassette of choice, or you can get a cassette to fit what you have already.

the crank spindle might not be compatible with the threaded BB I have fitted

BBs are all still made to fit whatever crank you like, it’s a bit silly to base your crank choice on the BB you currently have.

thols2

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binman

If you can find them, you could go for SRAM NX cassette (or Sunrace etc) with your current freehub.

You could get an XD freehub (+ end cap) and look at GX or XO cassettes.

You could get a Hope microspline freehub and go Shimano 12 speed.

nixie

Hope microspline freehub and go Shimano 12 speed

Not on a pro 2 you can’t. Pro 2 Evo maybe Pro 2 Evo 40t you can. Buuut you could use a HG fit sunrace for 12speed cassette.

You could get an XD freehub (+ end cap)

Again not on the original pro 2.

However in this case I’d be tempted with the wide range deore 1×10 option.

BB threads will be fine. You probably won’t even need a new crank. Just change the current rings for a suitable 1x thick thin ring.

tomparkin

I’ve got three 1x bikes and they’re all running old triple ring cranks with a narrow wide ring on the middle position.

So I’d give that a whirl first of all!

I think 12 speed potentially gets a bit complex with the different freehub specs.

But if you can live with 11 speed the Deore 5100 can handle wide range cassettes (up to 51 teeth), comes with a clutch, and I think I’m right in saying that you’ll be fine with an 11 speed shimano HG cassette on your current freehub.

Finding supplies might be a bit of an issue at the moment, tho :-/

Hamsterfish
    Free Member

Thanks all, food for thought

swanny853

You should be able to ‘evo’ your pro2 iirc. New ‘everything but the hub shell’, so it might actually be easier to buy a new hub and rebuild the wheel, but nice to know you’ve got the option.

dyna-ti

Sorry Swanny, the pro2 freehub is a different size to the evo freehub. I’ve tried to fit them and they dont fit.
    Good old Hope. They’ve made everything non compatible now.

Pay for those sparkly new cnc machines they keep buying 😕

nixie

That’s not quite right or fair dyna-ti.

You can make a pro 2 into a pro 2 Evo. But as swanny says it’s means changing everything but the hub shell. What you can’t do is make a pro 2 into a pro2 Evo 40t. This is because the freehub had to get wider to accommodate Shimanos wider 11 speed road cassettes. As a consequence the right hand flange also has to move. Iirc the XD freehub only fits Evo 40t onwards (same for microspline).

swanny853

Nixie- I have an xd freehub on a pre-40t pro 2 evo. I can’t see why microspline wouldn’t fit but confess I haven’t tried it.

I think you *could* even bodge a wider 11s road freehub onto a pre-40t hub but it’s the sort of thing that involves a file, very fine clearances and a relaxed attitude to risk if tolerances stack the wrong way.

nixie

Maybe I remembered that bit incorrectly.

Yes you can bodge a 11s road on. I have a original pro2 freehub I modified to do this (no longer have the hub but do have the freehub). It’s not ideal though as very close to the spokes.

swanny853

There’s been enough variances in freehubs and end caps the last few years that I’m surprised even hope can keep track. The extra spacer that came with the pro 2 evo rear boost kit ‘just in case’ you bought a microspline freehub to go with your boosted hub (because shimano in their infinite wisdom decided the bearings had to be in a different place) is one of those things that I’m definitely going to wonder what it’s for in a few years. Think it reflects well on hope that they’ve covered pretty much all the combinations.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M770 upgrade’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts