Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano hose shortening bodge
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

I’ve turned the garage upside down and cannot find any of those little yellow blocks for clamping your newly-cut hose so you can tap home the little metal insert.

Is there a bodge I don’t know about for performing said procedure?

thecaptain
    Free Member

LOL. My bodge is just to zip-tie a loop in the hose to take up the excess!

You never know when you might want to lengthen it, after all…

singlespeedstu

I’ve used a rag in the jaws of some pliers before.
    Use the round cutout in the jaws.

reeksy

I just hold the hose and push it against the bench

J-R

I’ve used a rag in the jaws of some pliers before.

That worked for me last week – saw a video where someone said Shimano no longer supply the yellow block, and I didn’t get one with my new Devore front brake.

thols2

LOL. My bodge is just to zip-tie a loop in the hose to take up the excess!

You never know when you might want to lengthen it, after all…

This.

tomparkin

+1 for a pair of pliers and a bit of care.

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 for garethjw’s link, these gadgets do a far better job. And there are cheaper copies on Amazon if your budget won’t stretch.

duncancallum

Masking tape. Pliers.

Done

gardentiger
    Free Member

Smallish piece of wood, drill a hole, saw in half through the hole. The saw cut takes out enough material for it to act as a clamp.

🤷‍♂️

akira

I eventually bought the proper tool as it’s much easier when the brakes are still on the bike.

oldnpastit

Last time I had to do this I warmed up the cable with a hot air dryer (gently) and that softens it enough you can just push it in.

oldnick

@gardentiger +1

Also works for suspension shafts etc

duncancallum

Wonder if the clamp part of this would work rest of the kits surplus though you could use the press some where

YORKING 10Pcs Flaring Tool Kit Metric Pipe Flaring Kit Brake Fuel Pipe Repair Flaring Tool Set Aluminium Copper Tube Cutter Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08YJX7LP9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_JP75JTXHHXH0XCY05Y67?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

dyna-ti

Smallish piece of wood, drill a hole, saw in half through the hole. The saw cut takes out enough material for it to act as a clamp.

I was just about to suggest the same.

I’ve done this myself, and used to to create a square edge to the hose by having a little poke through and shaving the end off with a sharp stanley blade.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.