Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano 105 levers – reach adjust ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

quick road bike question, I have a set of 105 STI(I think) shifter / brakes. I’ve also got stumpy hands, so there just a little out of my reach easly on steep descents etc, I got some Specialized shims that I thought were for this brake set but unfortunately do not fit. When I was checking them out to see if they fit I could see that there are some rubber stops in the 105 shifters that have L and R marked on them then 5mm. That suggests there are some different stops that may help me adjust lever reach, I’ve done a google search and can’t find any reference to different shims, anyone know if I can adjust the reach on them ?

cheers.

simondbarnes

Can only find shims for 6700, 4600, 4500 and 3400 in 5mm or 10mm on madison’s B2B site. They’re referred to as adjustment blocks. Is yours the 105 with internal cable routing? (5700). If so maybe the blocks for 6700 will work?

Your LBS will be able to phone Madison and confirm for you.

carbon337
    Free Member

I have 5700 and they came with 2 different size rubber shims/wedges so they must be available.

Decent LBS

druidh
    Free Member

IIRC, the adjustment blocks for the earlier 105s were only available as a Specialized part.

The 6700s come with a pair of each size – I’d have thought they’d be the same as the 5700. Ask around here for anyone who has bought a set of levers and doesn’t need these bits? I’d offer but actually need mine 🙂

Edit: Just checked on the Shimano site – it’s the same part number as for 6700 (Ultegra)

simonm
    Free Member

Yeh, mine are the 5700, and the shims I had stated 6700 but very different profile and don’t fit 🙁

Thanks Carbon, at least that confirms they exist.

ta.

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Mrs TR had same prob with some older pre-shim Tiagras and ended getting some Cinelli Little Wing bars from Ribble which really do make a difference (think the blurb says 7mm). Don’t think there available in 31.8 dia though.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Handlebars-Standard-Road-Cinelli-Little-Wing-Lady-260-Bars/CINEHBAR310

druidh
    Free Member

simonm – Member
    Yeh, mine are the 5700, and the shims I had stated 6700 but very different profile and don’t fit

They are the same part number and should be interchangeable.

carbon337
    Free Member

these little bits are what i used – pull old ones out horizontally when brake is pressed – slide these in.

simondbarnes

They are the same part number and should be interchangeable.

Yup, just checked the tech docs and the madison part numbers. Same adjustment blocks for 5700 & 6700.

5mm L 6SC 7601
    5mm R 6SC 7600
    10mm L 6SC 7501
    10mm R 6SC 7500

All 99p each. Carriage free for your LBS so just pop in and order them. All currently in stock with Madison.

simonm
    Free Member

good man Mr. Barnes 😉 cheers, thats the ticket, many thanks !

simondbarnes

Not a problem. Hope you get sorted 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 levers – reach adjust ?’ is closed to new replies.