Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano 105 – inner shifter not returning
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I was changing my brake pads in the bike stand earlier, when it fell over. Everything seemed ok, apart from the right hand shifter.

The gears shift ok, but when I change into a lower gear, using the brake lever, the large shifter returns as expected, but the inner shifter stays pushed out until I manually return it.

Anyone know if this is fixable, or have I fubarred my shifter?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Not got the shifter clagged up with the polymer coating on the cable have you? The browny coloured coating on Shimano cables seems to unravel quite easily and sometimes clogs the shifter. I’d squirt/dowse it with either degreaser or wd40 and then fit a new cable.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

ok, I’ll give that a go. Ta.

servo
    Free Member

Have you moved the rubber hood on the lever? I found that it can stop the inner lever moving if rolled up.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If you did anything to the rubber hood I’d bet money that it’s not put back in place properly. I had this exact issue, took me a while working out why I couldn’t get it working properly

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I didn’t move it, but when it happened it did remind me if when I’ve been fitting cables etc and haven’t put it back properly.

I wonder if it got moved when the bike dropped. I’ll peel it all back tomorrow and put back to see if that helps.

akira

I once had a crash and the inner lever got bent ever so slightly so it could catch on the bigger lever. I just bent it back into place.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 – inner shifter not returning’ is closed to new replies.