Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shifters: Altus vs Alivio vs Deore vs etc etc
  • nbt

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the different “levels” of shifter? I know in theory that the more you pay the lighter it gets but are the more expensive shifters significantly more robust or do they offer better shifting action or something? I need to put gears on a bike for a while and shifters are the last thing to pick up – I can get Deore shifters for £38 a pair from CRC, Alivio for £28 or Altus for £20.

I’m looking for 3*9 as I already have all the other bits, by the way…

funkrodent

There are people on here who know far more about this than I do, but on the offchance that they miss the thread, I’ll give you my two penn’orth.
    Generally speaking the differentiators are fourfold, namely effectiveness (how well they actually shift), reliability (likelihood that they’ll go wrong), weight (self explanatory) and strength (ability to withstand sustained abuse). Looking at the normal Shimano range (as opposed to Saint which is downhill specific) Deore offer superb value for money and many people (myself included) run Deore kit on All Mountain bikes designed to do fairly hard core mountain biking. Below Deore level, I’d suggest that the kit (whilst there is nothing worong with it per se) isn’t really designed for proper mountain biking and is less likely to retain effectiveness and reliability in difficult conditions. Above Deore you have SLX which many believe is the best compromise of the four criteria listed above. Above that you have XT and XTR, which is expensive and really only justifiable (particularly with XTR) if you’re a racer or have more money than sense.
    So, the answer is that it depends on what you want to use your bike for. If you’re going to take it to trail centres and onto muntains and throw it about a bit, then get the Deore, no question. Easily worth the few extra quid.

nbt

I run Deore and LX (maybe SLX – can’t remember offhand) on the bikes that Mrs NBT and I own (there might even be some XT in there!) but I need to put gears on the scandal for a while – rigid singlespeed is not great when your knees are dodgy. Just wondering whether its worth paying almost double or not…

IHN

Have you got a mech yet?

If not, if you get a SRAM one I have a pair of 9spd SRAM X5s that you can have for nowt.

nbt

Cheers Nettles but the only thing I need are shifters now – have cables, mechs and chain in garage and cassette en route 🙂

IHN

Fair enough

amedias
    Free Member

Where are you nbt? I’m pretty sure I’ve got some older but fuctioning Deore 9s shifters you could have for a fiver if you’re local…

IHN

That’s a point, have you spoken to Souter? I thought he had a load of stuff knocking about from his insurance claim.

teethgrinder

I have a RHS 9speed XT shifter you can have for £25 posted…

faustus

The lightness and better function/longevity comes from using ‘better’ materials on models up the range, so alloy levers and nicer internals (making a better shift/feel) etc. Deore should be great. X5 shifters are inferior to shimano I reckon…for what it’s worth.

nbt

Souter was the one who suggested adding gears to the SS to help my knees (as opposed to buying a new bike with gears on it) – one would hope that he would have mentioned any such gears he had available at that point…

CHeers for the offers folks, if I don’t buy new then (I think) I’ve got some s/h stuff sorted courtesy of PortlyOne

brassneck

Hmm, I’m pretty hamfisted, but I think LX are the level to look at – deore are OK but feel a bit flimsy and spongy. XT don’t feel significantly better than LX, XTR are ace but way too much money usually. Think they have some little bearings or pixies in them to make them feel special.

I run X0 gripshift as they were cheap in a sale, and I rate them very highly. Are an acquired taste though. The LX on the other bike are much better VFM and have worked perfectly for years.

portlyone

Hoping I’ll have them ready in the next few hours!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shifters: Altus vs Alivio vs Deore vs etc etc’ is closed to new replies.