Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 166 total)
  • Sherlock
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mrs H listens to Iron Maiden while hoovering.

ORSUMNEZZ

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It’s become like Doctor Who, but even more absurd.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

He’s totally chewing the scenery. Nothing to do with Holmes at all.

burgatedicky

It’s kind of gripping, but equally quite terrible and rather baffling! Still, I’m hooked

bikebouy
    Free Member

Overacting Bumblefumblesnatch.

leffeboy

Oh bollocks

godzilla
    Free Member

I expected better.

Pook

I think Mary got it right

“It’s about the adventures and the stories”

So let’s get back to the monster a week formula and knock the melodrama on its head

eddie11
    Free Member

so his sister was queenie from blackadder?

chrisa87
    Free Member

That was really odd! This could’ve been a good series if it wasn’t a Sherlock series if that makes sense.

I think I agree with Pook, Sherlock should be about solving crimes and not try and attempt to be a shutter island type psychological thriller.

bodgy
    Free Member

Bit disappointing; expected a slightly more cohesive and satisfying plot arc from the series finale. Nonetheless, very tense and quite gripping. Worth it to see Mrs H rocking out.

BoardinBob

buddy movie aspect of Sherlock and Watson, some bad guys and some detectiving.

Stoner
    Free Member

just pants.
    So disappointing.

kelvin

Enjoyed that.

stuey
    Free Member

Closing credit scene – did they just run out of “Rathbone Place” 🙂

DickBarton

Yes…suspect a similar scene was seen in many living rooms during that, wasn’t great at all.

Unsure how all that could be going on and then the massive jump at the end…has been the worst of the series and that was the worst series yet.

All the ingredients were there but in completely wrong quantities.

martinhutch

massive jump at the end

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Clearly they stole the storyline from a Dangermouse episode. Very disjointed and clearly from a set of writers auditioning for the job. Where were the over the top fancy gfx from the last episode.

I expect to see Idris Elba as the next Sherlock.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, way better than many interpretations of the Sherlock Holmes character and great Sunday night entertainment.

grizedaleforest

According to the Guardian, the Viking on the floor in the closing credits was Paul Weller. Suitably bizarre for a barmy final episode!

wwaswas

Went to see it at the cinema as my daughter was taking friends for her birthday ‘thing’.

I really enjoyed it. I think they got the balance between action, comedy and ‘you have to think about that for it to make sense’ about right. Some great cameos from Moriarty and Mrs Doyle.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I wonder if this will be Eggs Benedicts last run as Sherlock. Uber busy with being a movie star and cant be cheap.

Coyote
    Free Member

We were quite enjoying it up to a point and then it just seemed to lose momentum, direction and credibility. Going to rewatch it to make sure but at the moment very disappointed.

#Edit

Newsthump sums it up for me.

Particularly “Police are appealing for witnesses to the event, which coincided with the adventures of Sherlock Holmes irrevocably turning into an episode of the Crystal Maze run by Hannibal Lecter.”

colournoise

It was ALMOST interesting.

The germ of some good ideas totally obscured by Moffat/Gatiss’ inability to structure a coherent narrative any more and some horrible overacting (bar Freeman).

I did get the feeling it was more Who than Holmes for most of it though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s a great cast and fairly impressive production but yet again it feels let down by script and plotting. The middle of these 3 eps was good but the first and last left me unsatisfied. The Mary Watson monologue at the end was cringeworthy.

Is Moffat just horribly over-rated? When these shows feel the need to ‘go big’ and have the whole world in jeopardy in every episode I lose interest. The interesting stories are nearly always the ones on a smaller scale.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Watched the first episode last night. It’s not half as smart as it used to be and is teetering on the brink of being irritating, but overall it was an enjoyable 90 minutes. The single malt probably helped.

colournoise

simons_nicolai-uk – Member
    Is Moffat just horribly over-rated?

Don’t think it’s that so much as he’s running out of fresh ideas (or just being lazy).

Loads of last night’s episode covered familiar Moffat ground – especially his liking for childhood nightmares and fears, and messages from characters via video (he’s really starting to overuse this one in particular).

Would quite like to see someone like Charlie Brooker drafted in to write a Sherlock script or two…

vondally
    Free Member

Not good at all, I am afraid to say it has become a parody of its self and moffatt and Gatis have fallen into being too happy to produce self congratulatory how clever are we scripts.

Moffatt wrote one of the best Dr Who ever ‘ blink’s and revived Sherlock initially brilliantly, witty charming and intresting but lost all that.

It needed a good edit to 60 minutes, stop trying to be bond/ Ethan hawke/ Austin powers( Yes Holmes was action orientated at times, boxing and martial arts but not to this extent), focus on solving the mystery

The portrayal of Watson has sucumbed to the Nigel Bruce film character not the Watson of the book, actually Jude Law is a fine Watson.

Disappointing, boring and fatuous.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Would quite like to see someone like Charlie Brooker drafted in to write a Sherlock script or two…

this.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

stop trying to be bond/ Ethan hawke/ Austin powers( Yes Holmes was action orientated at times, boxing and martial arts but not to this extent)

Good point. One of the disappointing scenes in the first episode was Holmes’ fight with AJ by the indoor swimming pool. This AJ dude is supposed to be creme de la creme special ops, yet he struggled against Holmes.

PrinceJohn

Is Moffat just horribly over-rated? When these shows feel the need to ‘go big’ and have the whole world in jeopardy in every episode I lose interest. The interesting stories are nearly always the ones on a smaller scale.

This is the problem with a lot of movies too – I’m fed up with the world in peril, again…

fifeandy
    Free Member

Spent the last 2 evenings watching the latest season on iPlayer. Very dissapointing – feel a bit like i’ve been robbed of 4.5hrs of life.

oldnpastit

Even my wife was nonplussed. Too many feelings and not enough detecting.

If we wanted a violent soap opera we could have tuned in to the Archers.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Strange last five minutes or so to the finale, it felt like the director had chopped out a huge section of footage.

RustySpanner

Well, that turned out to be a pile of old pony didn’t it?

Gatiss and Moffat had 4 novels and 56 Conan Doyle short stories to pick from, all classics.
    Messing it up that badly takes some effort and not a little arrogance.

Very disappointing.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Too many feelings and not enough detecting.

‘Too many feelings’ 🙂 This is a pretty accurate assessment though, especially of the last episode. The ‘feelings’ are definitely part of the mix but they dialled too many bits up to 11 at the expense of other stuff.

Also not a massive fan of the whole Mary Watson thing.

nickjb
    Free Member

It was OK. All pretty watchable with a few duff moments. Biggest issue for me was that they could’ve made this show AND Sherlock. This really didn’t need to be wrapped up as ‘Sherlock’

RustySpanner

not a massive fan of the whole Mary Watson thing.

Neither was Conan Doyle, to be fair.

He marries Watson off to Mary in The Sign Of The Four, but she dies at some point before 1903, a fact barely mentioned in the books.
    He does remarry later on, but we hear nothing about his second wife.

Conan Doyle wasn’t sure of the location of Watson’s war wound either, and even seems to get his first name wrong on occasion.
    🙂

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I missed this but Paul Weller cameo’d in he finale.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Sherlock’ is closed to new replies.