• This topic has 47 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Sheffield: Where are the best trails?
  • Pook

Having been shown some excellent hidden trails this weekend, I'm interested in finding some more gems in and around Sheffield.

Any body got any tips? I'm not thinking Peaks and Wharncliffe, more unknown secrets really

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Tis some good b/w's of the back of crookes heading down to rivlin, some even better footpaths.

Pook

That's where we went this weekend. I was wondering if there were any more

ahwiles
    Free Member

a rule of thumb for riding around sheffield:

'if it's legal, it's shite'.

Colin-T

There probably would be some half decent riding around Stannington too, if only it was legal.

tracknicko
    Free Member

greno woods baby. wharnecliffe is for visitors and tourists!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

wharnecliffe is for visitors

Yup. The locals can spell it right 😉

docrobster
    Free Member

wharncliffe shmarncliffe
    get thisen ower t' blacka moor
    lots of nice cheeky bits there- even better in't dark
    agree re off the back of crookes- start at bole hill bmx track and pick any route that ends at rivelin valley post office. back up along the byway parralel to the a57 (now smooth- boohoo!), repeat ad infinitum

Brown
    Free Member

Don't ride Cheeky Stuff on Blacka Moor. This keeps coming up time and time again and there have been meetings about it. The land managers are getting pretty upitty about it. It's not as if the bridleways aren't any good…

Colin-T

There are fun legal tracks linking Blackamoor with Totley moor.

You should avoid the tracks over Burbage moor since they are footpaths, a great shame because they would work so well on a ride starting/finishing at the Fox House.

Pook

i know blacka moor, wharncliffe, greno woods and totley moor.

It's more stuff like the Crookes stuff I'm after. Didn't know about it 'til podge showed me round there this weekend.

thepodge
    Free Member

The boys from Dirt Magazine were up and around Blacka Moor last weekend doing a bit of an DH race, north vs south… oops

there are a couple of sets of woods i still need to explore but i have no idea what's in there. its could be a gold mine (not literally) or a wasted journey. most of the fun stuff i've found isn't on maps or rights of way, its just there.

swisstony
    Free Member

there's nothing to see up there.

(look out for me in next months dirt though!)

BruceK
    Free Member

+1 for Blackamoor bridleways(although worth checking for horses due to stables at bottom), plus general Rivelin riding. Pack horse route off Stannage or rocky byway from top also favourites…although bit of a drag back up

Worth avoiding Burbage as f'path and busy with climby/walky folk unless night riding, same for any cheekiness across any of the edges. Some of my mates have been busted at dawn by early rising rangers!

simonm
    Free Member

I've found endless trails from Stannington (where I live), Mostly footpaths (so night rides). Ride something different each week in Loxely or Rivelin valley, and even now still finding new great bits of singletrack. Get an OS map, plan a route and give it a go…. that's what I do. Sometimes you get a cracker, but more often than not you have to expect to go a bit oldskool and accept a good bit of Tarmac to get to the nice sections. Last week found a real gem descending to a certain reservoir in the Loxley Valley.

dogthomson

Top thread this, my missus lives in Chapeltown and we've been struggling to find decent local trails. Anyone fancy showing us the best bit of Greno woods?

paule
    Free Member

There are many many tracks between crookes and rivelin valley – some of them are a tad steep on the wayu back up, but most are excellent on the way back down. Simonm is pretty much right, get out there (map optional – he's obsessed with google earth!) and find them. If you're stuck, I can recomend the path starting next to the old John Thomas pub on the A57 as a starting point….

simonm
    Free Member

quote "it looked alright on Google earth"… end quote…

paule
    Free Member

Sounds familiar…. along with my favorite "it's just a short steep climb".

bonj
    Free Member

Pook – have an explore in and around fox hagg nature reserve, which iirc is sort of between redmires road and manchester road.
    around this area approximately

sq225917
    Free Member

coming back up the hill from the Fox house, just over the top past the T junction, hop the wall and into the forest on your right, and keep heading right on the way down where possible. Lovely little cheeky.

thepodge
    Free Member

simonm – quote "it looked alright on Google earth"… end quote…

haha, i took some guys over and above Derwent on one of those Google earth rides, we got hella lost, wet and shouted at from across the valley. it was rather fun.

I've scouted out some of the stuff down and around Fox Hagg but they all seem to be mainly short sharp downhills that i can find.

there is also Beeley woods on the way back from Greno / Wharncliffe.

After the meet next wee we should hook up and check out some of this other stuff

dogthomson

Podge, are you the Podge from Anston I used to ride with round Rotherham/Worksop way?

thepodge
    Free Member

dogthomson – Podge, are you the Podge from Anston I used to ride with round Rotherham/Worksop way?

Nope, that's not me, I'm a different one

Si
    Free Member

Wymingbrook – Descent alongside the stream to reservoirs – Tech!

Golf Course singletrack – Ranmoor to Wymingbrook and any trail that drops off to the right down to the valley – Tech!

Endcliffe Park connections – From the pitch and put above singletrack down through the trees to the parks – Ace little end to rides!

Footpath descent instead of Porter Clough – Ace!

Birely Edge – Ridgeline singletrack descent from Birely stone past Foxhill estate and into Hillsborough. – Ace fast descent back from Wharncliffe, well worth climb up.

simonm
    Free Member

some nice tips there Si, took a look at that Wyming Stream descent the other week but didnt try it..

Footpath Descent instead of Porter Clough = Sheffield classic..

thepodge
    Free Member

anyone tried the black path down Hursthead Cote off the west side of ladybower?

matt_outandabout

took a look at that Wyming Stream

I am all for some cheekyness, but do remember that stream/area is an important SSSI.

Problem is, much of my favourite trails involve too much of this:

Derwent Edge is fun (in the dry) and the uber tech fun back and around Agden. Not all cheeky as well.

Rivelin rocks 🙂

As does some Uber cheekyness above the Cioch Block – best savoured in the last light of a summers day, with no-one around, dry trail and a pint at the Fox House, and a night ride down Blacka afterwards.

And The Classic(tm):

jonjon

ecclesall road, about 8.30 on a friday night, mid summer in full lycra is quite cheeky

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Are we talking about the wyoming brook decent right next to the stream or the footpath that runs along the top. There is a nice footpath from the wyoming brook carpark , the one on redmires road , that goes away from the stream up towards stanage way although lots of off-camber roots. Although I am gonna shout at anyone I see when i'm running there, so get your excuses ready…

matt_outandabout

ecclesall road, about 8.30 on a friday night, mid summer in full lycra is quite cheeky

As is West Street at midnight, in shorts. Just don't stop for the lights or they pretty much leap on board for the ride…

Si
    Free Member

Those were the evenins eh Matt…

matt_outandabout

*nods*

thepodge
    Free Member

A couple of those pics look familiar, especially the one that leads semi parallel to cut gate, that was an epic solo ride… some days i miss being on the dole when i could ride all day

nickhart
    Free Member

if you buy one of those big things, er what they called, er oh yeah a map and look for wiggly lines that cross the contour lines then you'll have some fun. seem to remember that was how i found some trails and my friends found more.
    or, and it's a big or, get out there and look for them. it's like an adventure……. 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

damn my spelling!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

thepodge – I hear we may be acquainted from a previous life…

I'm biked up again now so will be getting back out with Chris soon, possibly one evening this week, if you're about

tracknicko
    Free Member

some woman stuck a broom accross one of the trails down from crookes when we were riding there. sketchy it was. (so watch out for brooms)

also took a wrong turn on one of the real tight switchbacks into a field and rode into a barbed wire fence once. not nice at all. made a right mess of my thighs.

TN
    Free Member

Simonm – care to share? We're in Stannington too and we're running out of 'new stuff' to try from home – we've started just riding out to the end of the Riggs and on to Ughill Moor and then Strines.
    (I guess you've already got Catty Lane, Flash Lane, the one off to the right about a quarter way up Brookside Bank – we're linking them all by road at the mo and it's not much fun…)

TN
    Free Member

Matt_outandabout – please be sensitive at Rivelin, there have been access issues in the recent past.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield: Where are the best trails?’ is closed to new replies.