Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Sheffield – New bike shop at Dore
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

The shop next to Morans Restaurant at Abbeydale Garden centre (that used to be a furniture shop) is presently being fitted out and will shortly be opening as a bike shop.

Don't know much more than that – but tradesmen were working at the premises at midnight last night! and the new owner confirmed it was to be a mountain bike shop.

Pook

from famine to feast eh?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

new one at bradwell too – not quite sheffield but dead handy for moi!

swisstony
    Free Member

Indeed Pook, spoilt for choice, fingers crossed for a price war!

I've heard this one is going to be pretty high end though, apparently stocking Yeti amoungst others?

Pook

i guess the component range will still be pretty standard though

thepodge
    Free Member

I can't see them all surviving

Pook

which will go first though?

I'd guess Dore.

Free Member

Do we know who the owner is? any details what its to be called?

Morans … I always want to call it Morons. – Has anyone been in?

swisstony
    Free Member

I was going to say roll on the price war just before they go bust but i didn't want to appear too negative but thats business i suppose.

That shop in dore hardly has a good track record, it's been quite a few things over recent years none have been a success, what do they say location, location, location?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Perhaps they could organise a cheeky uplift service for Blaka moor?

Perhaps some trail 'improvements' like filling in the boggy bits with big rocks, if nothing else they'd sell more rims 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Dore is nice but I can't see it being a good location for a bike shop.

I can't see us supporting evans and ebc

cp

well, I was disappointed with ebc when I went in last weekend – not much range IMO.

so far, jejames still best of the in-town need it quick shops (this isn't saying they are that great in their own right, though last 2 experiences much better). 18 bikes by far the best still though it's still a bit of a hike…

Dore could be ok – if the shop was worth it, I'd go there…

si-wilson
    Free Member

Have Evans confimred they are coming to Sheff?

thepodge
    Free Member

Wasn't too impressed wi ebc either and all sheff shops had dx pedals at almost twice what decathlon were selling them for.

I fear dore might endup being a showroom then people buy cheaper on line

Evans are going half / half with rock and run

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

@jontawn – I've been twice to Morans and enjoyed the food both times. Decent grub with decent sized portions. I think they do Sunday roasts too. Thoroughly recommended.

I wonder if the new Dore bike shop will have a Yeti ASR 5 Carbon to play with? That would be nice. Of course I can't afford one but to compare it on my local trails to my current bike would be fantastic.

Have to agree JEJ seems the most convenient still (although I mainly use the Chesterfield one as it's waaay better). Went into EBC last week for some pads. They wanted £17??

I've noticed James' reducing a lot of their prices in an attempting to keep hold of their market position. It can only benefit the riders of Sheff if more bike shops appear and compete.

AndrewL

EBC was a bit of a let down, seemed pretty poorly stocked and prices very much on the high side, plus thanks to my general incompetence took me about 5 minutes of faffing on the 1 way system to make it into the carpark!

Free Member

La Bicicleta have mangaged to stay in business selling 'high value' kit and bikes, and are seemingly doing well. If said new shop can come along and sell that high-value kit and treat people with great customer service, if they can service CK hubs then i'd be v.happy 😉

SigmaF
    Free Member

Hello Chaps….

Not sure I'd classify myself as a tradesman but certainly learning quickly!!

Indeed, we're going to be an mtb shop amongst other things!! A scattering of road and some nice commuter types etc.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Pook!!

More details to follow, but we've got quite a few initiatives planned like demo bikes/rides out from the shop, some event sponsorship etc etc…

Products wise, we're going to have a spread….yes, we'll be stocking CK and Yeti but also other quality, well specced componentry…

Pricing wise – well, we have a few pricing models to run….I guess we'll discover how well they work/don't work…!!?? We're hoping to get as close to online pricing as we can, but with the main focus on quality service and a friendly, welcoming atmosphere….hopefully you'll be able to let us know if we manage it.

And we're called 'The Bike Tree'…..

Feel free to pop in at any point over the next couple of weeks for a chat/coffee and don't forget your paintbrush!!

Right, it's 2am and I'm still to get rid of this polyfiller wig!

If there are any specific service options/products/brands that you'd like to see then do let us know….we're going to be as adaptable as we can be in the early stages so are keen to listen and take on board what we can.

Cheers,

Scott & Rich

The Bike Tree

dasnut
    Free Member

good luck fellas

thepodge
    Free Member

SigmaF / Bike Tree. if you can fit a headset in less than 3 weeks then you've got a customer right here.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I'd be very interested if you managed to secure some posh lovely brands such as Intense or Foes- je james allegedly can get Intense but never seem to have test bikes 🙁

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Aha its the phantom stealth bike shop manager from old Sheffield town LOL
    I teased you about this on another thread

Seriously guys good luck

Out of interest why did you pick Sheffield and are you both locals?
    It sounds like one shop had the place sewn up and hasnt had to make much effort until now

I admire your balls speaking as someone with a crappy contract, job security and pay with ambition but not as much courage as you have

thepodge
    Free Member

iamsporticus – Out of interest why did you pick Sheffield and are you both locals?

Probably something to do with THIS

seriously though, with all these shops in Sheff, how come I have to wait 3 weeks just to get a headset fitted?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

thepodge – Member

SigmaF / Bike Tree. if you can fit a headset in less than 3 weeks then you've got a customer right here.

The podge if you need a bike shop to do that you are either mechanically inept or have 1 arm!

thepodge
    Free Member

or lazy and without tools.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

a bloke without a mallet is a girl

thepodge
    Free Member

I have a mallet and have fitted headsets before but i prefer it when other people do it properly

si-wilson
    Free Member

You can always pop down to my house in Chesterfield, i'll do if for free!

thepodge
    Free Member

I might just take you up on that offer but you'll have to promise not to sell me a chumba while I'm there, I'm prone to impulse buys

si-wilson
    Free Member

Fair, just make sure you have biscuits or cake….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cake + Tea

Sponsor the uni cycling club? No idea if it works out as a profitable enterprise but when I was there they were sponsored by langsetts, and much as I tried to use my 10% discount it was often cheeper to get a return train home to Derby and got to Samways!

18bikes

cp – thanks for kind words, I can (nearly!) always bring things back and meet people at mine, just ask.

jontawn – I'd love to work on your King, got bearing presses too, but hopefully not needing bearings?!

SigmaF – if you live local too, maybes we should meet up and check up on what each other's doing – don't be strangers.

Ropey – I'm pretty sure we can get Foes, have dealt with distrib. in the past anyhow. maybe on intense too.

podge – i can manage that, although a bit of a trek for you? or meet at mine?

si – feedback from the lady on shoes? not one we've done many on, feedback always good!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Si, shoes fit the missus well, not managed to try them much in anger yet, she has been too busy with work, even had to work today and tomorrow!

Important thing is she likes how they look 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

Si (18) I kinda guessed you'd be well and truly booked up being small and popular. was gonna head over to Edale tomorrow but its now called off due to rain, might pop over Hope anyway, its only 10 minutes from me, I'll just have to see how it goes.

Si (progressive) I never leave home without cake

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

eighteen bikes – I'd be seriously interested if you could source foes or intense. Jamie at balfa will let me buy direct from him as there's currently no stockist near me, however I have no way of trying one out first!

Pook

@ bike tree – sorry if it seems like a lack of confidence, but with the seemingly massive amount of bike shops appearing in sheffield realisticaly i think it's gonna be tough for you.

I reckon you've got one thing right though – and that's being on here.

I do wish you the very best of luck, and will be visiting with cash to shop. Always support the local boys, as I say – I think it's going to be bloody hard work in the current climate

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

tbh though in my experience je james' customer service is pish – poor so if the new guys are approachable and don't try to sell me a complete bike when I come in for tyres then i'll be dropping in fairly often I reckon . .

andyxxx
    Free Member

Sigmaf

Good luck with your venture.

I think the shops in a great location. It is 5 to 10 mins drive from City centre and has ample parking.

I hope you have flood insurance though!

Morans … I always want to call it Morons. – Has anyone been in?

In my opininion, it is the finest food in Sheffield owned and ran by husband (chef) and wife team who are very friendly.

SigmaF
    Free Member

Thanks chaps….

@ Pook – well, we'll certainly give it a good go!!……look forward to saying hello!

@ 18 – will do, we're planning to come say hello as soon as we get a minute, feel free to drop by though if you're passing in the meantime….want to have a good chat about local trail advocacy support too…

@ andyxxx – ha, flood insurance, we did wonder about the strange looking half-skimmed walls……!…apparently it's been under twice!!…well, we can always diversify our product offerings!!

Pook

When do you open?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield – New bike shop at Dore’ is closed to new replies.