Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Sheffield-istas, your input please
  • mark88

That’s not ideal from a personal point of view, but a positive reflection on the area at least.

steveh

Mostly replying to superficial but rivelin valley has some of, if not the, best trails around sheffield. So many trails and so many loops and ways to link to other sections when you get your head around it all. Definitely a nicer way out to the peaks than through the other parks to forge dam.

bikerevivesheffield

@steveh don’t tell everyone!!

Superficial
    Free Member

@Steveh – I know Rivelin very well, I used to live in the valley itself! I completely agree – Fantastic riding, the G**f C****e techy path is one of my all time favourites. But it’s hard to link the great stuff there into a much longer loop IMO. From the top end of Rivelin / Lodge Moor you still have a bit of a (road) slog to get anywhere beyond.

Whereas Forge Dam –> Ringinglow is a nice trail and it puts you at the centre of Houndkirk / Cannings / Blacka / Stanage so easy to make into a bigger loop.

steveh

Easy to get to from end of Rivelin to Wyming Brook (off road bar about 300m) and from there Stanage (easier than from the parks) or short road blast over to Cannings/Houdkirk etc.

ahwiles
    Free Member

we moved out to Greenhill a couple of years ago.

we used to live in Crookes, but wanted a bit more space, a proper garden, and some kind of garage/shed.

good luck finding that in Crookes! (there are houses that tick the boxes, but not many, and i won’t promise you’ll find one when you’re seriously looking)

Greenhill’s ace : shops, trails, pubs, schools, access to M1south, 25mins by bike to the city centre, easy access out to the ‘proper’ peak district.
    (no artisan bakery, which is probably a blessing in disguise)

we tried to buy in Greystones, but it was a very quick market!

…which is probably a usefull point, you’ll need to get in quickly : i doubt you’ll be able to view a house one weekend, take the family back next weekend, think about it, then make an offer a week later. it’ll be gone.
    i suspect you’ll have to look on rightmove more or less daily, and book a viewing ASAP, all the good stuff will be sold within a few days (that’s how it worked 2 years ago).

paule
    Free Member

I’m up in lodge moor, and if you don’t mind the walk/ride down to fulwood for a village centre, and the rather bleak weather in winter, it’s great! G**f c***se path (copying someone’s stars above) is 2 or 3 minutes away, top of lady Cannings is 15 minutes, stanage pole about 25min etc.

House prices and garden sizes are relatively lower/higher than fulwood or dore, but Walkley or stannington could be even better value.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I lived in Sheffield for 11 years but recently moved to Dronfield.

It’s worth considering – it feels like a separate town to Sheffield but is virtually part of it, house prices are far more reasonable yet it’s generally nice and has very good schools.

Another consideration is that it’s a bit quicker to get to the M1 (about 15 mins via chesterfield).

Dronfield Woodhouse side of Dronfield is pleasant but very housing estatey. The other parts have more character.

Dronfield is also very close to the edge of the peaks – MTB rides on the doorstep and a quick hours road spin out to Bakewell.

Just a thought ..

Rik
    Free Member

Depends if you have enough time now to complete before the stamp duty holiday ends as a 500k house will nearly always have a long chain both ways unless very very lucky. Esp. If your house is not on the market yet.

The market is mental at the minute in Sheffield. If you have a nice house to sell (or buy) then in the popular areas they are going for well over asking price (not even asking price as most houses have a guide price window pushing up prices even more) but we sold ours in 4 days and bought in 5 days including going to best and finals 3 times! Mad.

But the stamp duty holiday and the fact that you can pick up some of the best long term fixed rates ever seen (with a big deposit – they were better a month ago though) makes it a no brainer if you want to move.

tuboflard

Greenhill is a good shout too by @ahwiles, easy access to open spaces for taking the dog for a walk, some good shops, easy down to Millhouses, train station and the like. Definitely get more for your money there too.

Don’t know if the OP wants modern or traditional type house but for £500k you get something like this https://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-83986171.html

You could add another £200k or more on the asking price if you dropped the same house in Dore (amateur opinion disclaimer).

shuhockey
    Free Member

I live around the corner from that house in greenhill. While the photo looks nice. It is basically on a traffic Island, with a council estate behind. There is also no front garden, and massive front windows so you are going to struggle for any privacy… We have been in greenhill 8 years now.

tuboflard

That’ll explain why it’s priced like it is then! I know the housing estate on the other side of Greenhill Parkway isn’t great but always thought the houses the other side looked a bit better.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Street view

This is the actual location of that house. Still a big bush on street view!

mark88

Slight hijack but to avoid starting another duplicate thread asking the same questions but at a different price point.

My moon on a stick Sheffield requirement:
    Approx £220k 2/3 bed
    Decent riding from the door
    Reasonable access to M1 ( heading south) and train station (by bike or public transport)
    Decent local pub and a bit of a high street
    No kids so schools not an issue

Anywhere that ticks all boxes?

Looks like much more house for your cash in Stannington compared to other spots.
    Lots round Crookes and Hunters Bar but am I likely to get a house full of students next door there?

I’ve spent a bit of time in Sheffield but never with the bike so not familiar with the different riding areas or distances to the Peak. Plan is to do some air BnB stays to get a feel once i’ve narrowed the search a bit more.

dannybgoode

North Sheffield is just as nice as South/West Sheff and is much cheaper as a rule. Just as good access to the Peaks and good access to the North West as well. Note Sheffield born and bred and was raised Fulwood way and the Mrs was raised Totley way and we’re both very happy just north of Hillsborough now.

Either way – fantastic city, loads to do, easy access to some of the most spectacular countryside going and largely friendly folk.

Always happy to talk Sheff to anyone who wants so feel free to PM me if it works or email on dannybower at outlook dot com 🙂

tuboflard

I’d be looking at Middlewood, Grenoside or Chapeltown @mark88 for that price range. I used to work in Chapeltown and it’s nice, bit rough around the edges but ticks pretty much all your boxes.

Granted, you’ll not be riding in to the Peak from your doorstep too often but you can be in Greno woods in no time and on the trans pennine trail really quickly too. Probably some cheeky trails too if you know where to look.

I’d give Crookes and Hunters Bar and the like a miss unless you’re young enough to want to take advantage of the same things students do (or old enough and daft enough to not care!).

steveh

I’d say Walkley Mark88, 10mins to the station on a bike and decent M1 access. Great trails from the door for local rides and a little shopping section with all you need and some nice local shops.
    I’ve even got a house for sale that’ll leave you some change too.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-82759771.html

mark88

@steveh – that’s convenient, drop me a private message with your email please?

steveh

@mark88 pm sent

mark88

Any coffee shops round the West side of Sheffield good for working in? Here for a few days to get a feel for the place. Doesn’t really matter where, I’ll be riding round.

tuboflard

Depends how far west out of the city centre you want to go @mark88, lots on Sharrow Vale Road (Jonty’s, Framery, Dyson Place, 7 Hills). Also on Abbeydale Road.

Fewer I can think of the further you go out from the city centre but that’s not to say they don’t exist.

jet26
    Free Member

Mark88 coffika on ecclesall road is very good – decent coffee and relaxed placed to work.

As per lard johntys and 7 hills just round corner from there are good too.

Maybe amici and bici abbeydale road too?

Upshot Glossop road best coffee but take away only at the moment I think.

If it’s warm enough coffee shop in millhouses park nice place to sit for a while (but outdoor seating only at mo)

mark88

Perfect thanks – I’ll give sitting outside a miss as I’ll need to be there for an hour or two.

Went out for a road ride out round Loxley, Stannington, Walkley early this morning. Hagg Hill was an unexpected slap in the face before breakfast! Nice ride though

docrobster
    Free Member

Hagg hill is the main reason I don’t cycle to work regularly… on the way home it would be about 10 miles in to my 12 mile commute. Just not pleasant!

tuboflard

If you’re in to your coffee too, make sure you pay Pollards on Ecccy Road a visit. Local institution and been doing coffee in Sheffield for something like 140 years.

docrobster
    Free Member

Bragazzis on abbeydale road is a good coffee shop/deli too.

steveh

My coffee drinking gf suggests….
    Cawa in Broomhill next to Proove pizza (also very nice lunch pizza if that’s your thing).
    Tamper in town near the Hallam uni.
    See you on Sunday. Hagg hill is always a wake up call but pretty easy to work around.

Pook

Good mtb support in Sheffield too. I hope all you sheffielders follow Keeper of the Peak, Peak District mtb and Ride Sheffield 😄

tuboflard

Tamper is a great shout, forgot about them. Their burger is great too.

GHill

Steam Yard is great for coffee, I think it’s owned by the same people as Tamper.

Gaard Coffee Hide is good, two-sites either near Kelham Island or the Uni. Whaletown in Crookes is worth a look and Joespresso in Walkley (small but great).

mark88

Don’t suppose anyone is riding Monday afternoon and wouldn’t mind me tagging along?

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield-istas, your input please’ is closed to new replies.