Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sheds Wood vs Metal
  • bensongd
    Free Member

Hi,
    After some advice or experience of sheds. Looking to get a 10×10 shed to keep a motorbike in and bits of assorted garden crap. Have been looking at wooden sheds but have seen that a metal shed comes in at around half the cost.

The shed will going on a concrete base but I might tidy it with pacers. Condensation possibly an issue in a metal shed but does insulation help.

What does a wooden shed have that makes it worth the extra? On paper the metal shed seems the obvious choice.

bentudder

Wood prices are going bonkers at the moment. Is sorry about condensation with a steel shed, but I’m sure there are ways round that. Have you considered preformed concrete? No idea if it’s any good, by the way. Fwiw, I got a Tuin wooden shed a couple of years ago – they’ve gone up in price and wait times quite a bit, but if a 10×10 is in your budget, I remain very impressed with ours. The only thing I’d consider not going with again was the floor kit. It’s a great finish for a fancy garden Room, a bit overkill for a workshop.

bigfoot
    Free Member

i would go wood, partly the condensation issue but think they look better as well. insulating a metal shed enough to sort the condensation would add quite a bit of cost.

timber prices are starting to drop slightly for some things and there is a lot more supply into the country but it’s probably still going to be a while before any big drops in price.

stumpyjon

Big thread on this a few days ago, the consensus was avoid metal sheds, massive condensation issues and very insecure. Spend extra and go wood (or plastic if the contents aren’t too valuable).

Northwind

Might be useful for you?

These cheap metal sheds- any good?

bensongd
    Free Member

Thanks for that northwind, looks like a no on metal. Might look at plastic out of curiosity, wood seems to be the only viable option.

nickjb
    Free Member

Wood is probably the best from an environmental point of view as well.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Big thread on this a few days ago, the consensus was avoid metal sheds, massive condensation issues and very insecure.

No, that was the consensus on Yardmaster tin cans, the OP is probably taking about an Asgard which is considerably more secure.

If you can get a real shipping container delivered then a half (10′) box would be my preference, we have one in a field that gets wet stuff flung in it and never had condensation issues because it’s vented, as all modern boxes are. Alternatively you can get the flat pack ones I mentioned in the other topic, again keep it vented and you should be fine. Asgard comes with vents installed, all of the above come with either proper locks or a lock box for a decent padlock.

guglielmo
    Free Member

I’ve had a keter plastic shed for about 10 years and it’s still good, zero maintenance done, really easy to build etc.

Wood probably better but needs maintenance to keep it good and make it last.

andrewh
    Free Member

What budget are talking about?
    My neighbour has had a wooden summerhouse thing built, 8’x12’ish I guess, cost him £10k!
    My brick shed, 9×9, cost less than a third of that (mainly because I DIYed it)
    If you can do the work OP brick would be the best option and sometimes cheaper than wood, but if the budget is a couple of hundred probably a no-no.

intheborders
    Free Member

Have you looked at brick or block+render/timber?

It’ll be dearer, short term, but last forever and be easier to secure.

steamtb

I have a large Asgard (and two wooden sheds); the Asgard is brilliant and no condensation issues over the year or two I’ve had it, the vents obviously work well in this instance! 🙂

drnosh
    Free Member

OP.

Message me.

I have a heavy duty metal shed for sale / that I need to clear, 3.5m x 1.9m, double doors, 1.85m high.

Roof is insulated, and vented.

Never had any condensation isssues.

Cheap as well.

bensongd
    Free Member

It was the yardmaster ton sheds I was looking at the asgard ones are a bit beyond my means. At the minute the bike sits under a cover in the back garden, it’s not a flashy or new bike. Just wanted so where dry to store it with the option to use it as a workshop too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sheds Wood vs Metal’ is closed to new replies.