Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shedding weight via lighter rubber
  • pipiom
    Free Member

New bike has DHF/DHR combo (which I have on my Stache so I know they’re heavy and draggy)….I want to make this bike lighter/faster, whilst still retaining some sidewall strength and grip…..always used Hutchinson Toro XCs, bit can’t find them anymore.

really appreciate any ideas for front and rear

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Running the aggressor on the rear faster and a  Bit lighter

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

same as mikesmith – quite like the aggressor

pipiom
    Free Member

Any ideas re, what the difference is please. I’m struggling to find weigh info for both

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tyres are about the last part of my bike I’d shed weight on.

2.6″ sticky bastard Mary on the front, Spesh Slaughter grid rear, none of them light, but the Mary digs in great and the Slaughter is quick, works brilliantly in all conditions, except trail centres, which I don’t really ride these days – too far a drive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For me it’s not shedding just being appropriate, full. Minion rear is overkill for a lot of stuff so anything that rolls better is great.

sharkattack

I’m on specialized grids. Any combination of Butchers, Purgs, Hillbillies. I’ve given up on the Slaughter. I’ve gone to 2.6 because the usual 2.3 looked lost in my new frame and fork and the extra level of cushion is a revelation for smashing into stuff fast e.g. uplift days, alps trips etc.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Conti Mountain King 2.4 on the front and a Maxxis Minion SS on the back for general trail mincing & pottering about. They work ok for the stuff round here and I’ll see how the SS gets on in the sloppy stuff. Light rolly tyres make a chunk of difference, grippy stuff can suck the joy* out of a ride unless you need the grip in order not to die or something.

*funsponge ©™®

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Depends on your riding, I prefer a grippier front tyre, as it means I can carry speed through corners.

pipiom
    Free Member

Cheers guys, awesome response as usual. I’m thinking Butcher/Purg FTW …. poss, grid rear, and 2bliss front?……I’m going to mess with some used man cave stock tomorrow, I’ll post actual weight loss for anyone who’s interested

thanks again

sharkattack

I wouldn’t bother with a 2bliss front. It depends how aggressive you are but I find they collapse a bit in corners. Sidewalls are fragile.

As someone said above, tyres aren’t the place to shave grams. Grids are the best I’ve found in terms of weight to durability. Better than dragging a DH tyre around but tough enough for proper abuse.

continuity
    Free Member

Looking at it, the aggressor looks a hell of a lot like a DHR II with slightly more ramped knobs – so slightly better rolling resistance, slightly worse braking – but it only comes in the TR EXO, rather than any 3C rubber compounds.

It’s also – in 3c / tr, 90g heavier per tyre than a DHR2.

Why choose it?

chakaping
    Free Member

Aggressor seems to brake and roll better than a DHR2, but the knobs are a bit close-spaced for wet conditions.

WGAF about 90g if it feels better?

continuity
    Free Member

Well, I suppose maybe someone who was trying to shed weight by using a lighter rubber.

Also ”brake and roll better’, given 1) almost identical but smaller knob height and 2)<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> only the cheap compound seems a weird and unlikely shout. Maybe roll better, not brake?</span>

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t really understand your post.

Anyway, the compound is spot-on for the rear. Wouldn’t want softer.

continuity
    Free Member

OP asked how they could reduce weight on their rear tyre.

They have a DHR2.

You suggested an aggressor.

This is heavier.

Make sense?

pipiom
    Free Member

It’s actually both tyres……probably sorted now: Buycher Grid front/Purg Grid rear……will save weight  and also make it roll a bit better…I’ve got 2 used Toro XCs in the mancave that I’m going to throw on today; they’re 790g each, just not sure how the front will fare; been running them as rear tyres for years.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shedding weight via lighter rubber’ is closed to new replies.