Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shed insulation
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone insulated their shed? And if you did, did it work?
    Mines starting to get a bit cold now. I have a heater in there but it seems like I’m peeing in the wind without insulation.
    Any tips?

nickjb
    Free Member

Yes. I insulated mine. A mix of 100mm fibreglass and 50mm celotex. 80mm celotex on the roof. It has a big double door that is still a cold spot but the insulation still does a job. Still pretty cold but it does heat up then hold the heat pretty well. Draft proofing is probably a bigger issue, although you still want some ventilation if possible.

Insulation was sourced as leftovers from building jobs (hence the mix). Much cheaper than ‘new’.

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

dyna-ti

What about natural wool ?

Currently many sheep farmers are literally dumping or burning the fleeces as the market is so poor.

The more bought is more demand and maybe best for the farming community.
    https://www.celticsustainables.co.uk/thermafleece-cosywool-sheeps-wool-insulation/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoJPF2Pbo7AIVCYBQBh0x0gZBEAQYAiABEgL8mPD_BwE

fossy

Yes. We have a basic 8×6 Summer house.It’s only ‘overlap’ wood, but lined it with the silvered bubble wrap insulation, stapled in between the battons, then lined the shed with ply, which is now painted cream. I’m using it as my office. It works well at keeping the shed nice and cool, even in direct sun light, and also keeping it warm in winter.

Next stage is a couple of thermal curtains, as half the shed is perspex, for the coming winter. Heat is from a thermally controlled fan heater – it just switches on for 30 seconds every half an hour or so.

granny_ring

Watching this, interested in how to insulate a shed roof externally.

gecko76

Watching too. I’ve got a shed with a curved corrugated galvanised roof that suffers badly from condensation. That sheep’s wool stuff looks good. Would it help, and how would you apply it?

frankconway

Step by step guide with recommended materials
    https://gilliesandmackay.com/how-to-insulate-a-shed/

If I was in the market for another shed I’d be buying from them.

nickjb
    Free Member

I have a pent roof so it is pretty easy. Mine is: OSB (second hand building site hoarding, pre painted with exterior paint), DPM (probably not needed), 80mm celotex, battens (fixed with long screws to hold the celotex down), profile steel (screwed to the battens). Probably overkill, but its rock solid, no condensation, and seems to keep the heat it or out.

I do like the idea of sheep’s wool but it is quite a lot more work and cost for less thermal efficiency and lifespan. Next project is conversion of an old stone building so I might look into for that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shed insulation’ is closed to new replies.