Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 260 total)
  • Shed build – things I’m learning.
  • AlexSimon

ok – a little bit of progress over the weekend.

Added some framing for a cat-flap:
    To keep it neat, I’m going to mount the cat-flap on the inside so it can’t be seen on the outside.

Chopped out the bottom of the door-frame (that bit was to keep it all square/whole while I assembled the walls)

This is what £600 of larch looks like:

And £60 of nice stainless nails:

So I made a start putting them together. I drilled clearance holes for every nail as larch is a ‘lively’ wood and is prone to splitting. It takes a little longer, but the nails go in lovely.

I can’t really do all the cladding until I’ve made a decision about the door and framed the windows which requires some machining of some rough larch I’ve got and potentially some charring (which is the fun bit).

Still haven’t decided on roof. Still hate felt. Found some cheap insulated metal roofing, but it’s in Derby and I need 4m lengths which complicates it a bit.

AlexSimon

Bit embarrassed about the quality of the photos. No time to get proper camera out though. I thought the iPhone4 was better than these though!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looking good.

mogrim

This is what £600 of larch looks like:

Oof, that hurts! For £600 you’d be hoping for a mcmoonterish-sized heap of wood, not that small stack. And one of them has already split 🙁

AlexSimon

I know! The stack does look small, but to be fair they are 21×145 with a 138 cover, so they are about as large as cladding gets.

The Hull Port Timber place was £250 cheaper than anywhere else.

The lorry came with a load of loglap on it – that looked great. Really consistent and is a great price.

mangoridebike

any updates?

AlexSimon

mangoridebike – Member

any updates?
    Not really. 🙁 Busy this week and away over the weekend.

Roof is now a toss-up between 10mm box section opal polycarbonate (like a conservatory roof) with all the associated uPVC trimming (yuk).
    http://www.cabp.co.uk
    Price approx £280

Or driving down to Derby with a trailer and getting some insulated composite metal roofing from http://www.actionclad.co.uk/
    Price approx £260

edit: The polycarbonate is a recycled product (from offcuts) which appeals slightly.

properbikeco
    Free Member

get the insulated metal roof

won’t leak and will be plenty warm, price not bad at all either tbh

AlexSimon

Quick update:
    Clad 3 walls. Now need to make final decisions about windows and door to be able to clad up to them.

Tried to get insulated metal roof, but the chancers at actionclad.co.uk didn’t have anything for us. They said to ring back Wednesday after they’ve had some deliveries. I think it must be seconds/job leftovers/etc. But then they are half the price of other places.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looking good, will you be putting any skylights in too? It would be a shame to lose that natural light.

AlexSimon

I know. I don’t really know what to do.
    When I was looking at single-sheet metal roofs, we were planning on leaving a whole strip along the middle clear. But it’s much trickier with composite roof.

Now that the actionclad have let me down a bit, I’m back to considering the polycarbonate roof. I’ve absolutely no experience though, and can’t really work out if 44% light/UV transmission will just make it far too hot in summer though for the contents – bikes, tyres, tools (including oils), camping gear, two-stroke, etc.

Edit: I was hoping it would looks somthing like this:

AlexSimon

I suppose if it too hot, I could always mask some of it off with a sheet material. I could cut a pattern into some 6mm ply or something.

freeagent
    Free Member

Security would be my biggest concern with the clear plastic sheeting…

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Could be hot – plus security issues – plus with dead leaves, dirt, twigs, bird crap etc etc it could look a bit rubbish from the inside after a few months.

benslow
    Free Member

Security would be my biggest concern with the clear plastic sheeting..

SPIDERS mine …

Just think of the webs ….

😯

AlexSimon

Security of 10mm does concern me a bit. 16mm less so.
    10mm is £250, 16mm is £380 though.

footflaps

Polycarbonate sheet is flippin tough stuff (they make riot shields from it) – you’d need power tools to cut through it (if it’s more than a few mm thick). You could always add a metal frame inside for added security.

I’m just getting some metal grilles made up for my Veluxes:

Custom made, will be white powdercoated. £30+VAT each:

Velux Grille by brf, on Flickr

AlexSimon

footflaps – this isn’t the solid sheet we’re talking about – it’s this stuff:

Edric64
    Free Member

http://www.righton.co.uk/

These are good for plastic /polycarb sheeting and they cut to size

DezB
    Free Member

Hey! Got to here and the thread/shed’s not finished! Still in progress??

Reading cos I’ve just had an offer accepted on a house – currently has a greenhouse and shed in the garden, which I plan to remove and replace with a nice, big workshop/shed… 2 months away from moving so must not get premature excitement! 🙂

AlexSimon

I’ve let you down badly Dez. Really sorry. I’ll try and pick up my game.

Truth is, I’ve still to decide on the roofing. Also busy with work.

Next job is to take my 5×2 pieces down to a local joiner for him to machine them into window surrounds and battens/beads. Then I can burn them!

DezB
    Free Member

🙂 Damn impressive so far.

I’ll just be buying a whole shed I think. Where from will require advice from STW…

AlexSimon

If you can fit a rectangular one and don’t fancy a new hobby, I think buying one is a great idea 🙂

andyfla
    Free Member

Did you decide on a roof ?

AlexSimon

pretty much. Insulated metal, with full top-to-bottom rooflights in-between the panels.
    Still trying to get sense out of actionclad so that we can be sure it wont be a wasted trip.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Any weekend updates?

andyfla
    Free Member

It’s gone awfully quiet ….
    You can’t get the tradesmen these days 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

My house purchase fell through, so no shed thread from me 🙁

andyfla
    Free Member

Unlucky, happened to us a couple of years ago, found a much nicer one fairly quickly afterwards

roundwheels
    Free Member

Think the tradesmen are on strike 💡

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My green roof is now on….

It’s a sedum and wildflower mix.

A bit of regular watering for a couple of weeks to get it established and it will look after itself 🙂

Just got to finish insulating and boarding the inside, and few other finishing off bits.

spacemonkey

That’s a nice looking abode there Mary. DIY or off-the-shelf? Will you be using it all year round given the insulation etc?

Am still looking for ideas and trying to figure out if the pros of using a chippie mate + materials (for an office build) are better than going OTS.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@Spacemonkey – Thanks :-). It’s a diy creation. Was originally going to be a pergola type thing (christened the bus shelter), but the missis kept adding “wants”, so it’s morphed into a nice little garden room. I think the term is “scope creep”!

Got power in there, wifi signal is strong, so will be used as office, party HQ, post ride watering hole etc. Nice way of getting out of the house away from the telly even if the weather is crap.

Had a few beer sessions in there during the snow, couple of fan heaters, beer outside in 12″ of the white stuff. It will be real cosy once it’s insulated.

andyfla
    Free Member

I am rather worried this shed has no roof yet,

WHAT’S HAPPENING, we need to know !

AlexSimon

Sorry – it’s so long since I posted that it didn’t even appear on my list of updated threads 🙁

I’m hoping to order the roof today.

Metal – box section – drip stop lining – Olive Green – 4 pieces, alternating with GRP rooflights.

(I’ll believe it when I’ve actually picked up the phone and ordered it)

On the other hand I’ve been nicely busy with work (self employed) and had a couple of great holidays! 🙂

GrahamS

Just read this from the start. Great thread – keep the updates coming Alex.

andyfla
    Free Member

Cool, I am hoping to persuade the SO that I can do this, but …..

AlexSimon

BTW – Mary Hinge – that looks fantastic. Really good.
    My wife wanted a green roof, but it’s actually quite an expensive route to take – would be around £550 in total for our roof.

AlexSimon

Quick update:

Ha – knew I couldn’t trust myself to order the metal roof.
    I have now ordered a box-section plastic roof in Opal (ish – it’s recycled)

Hoping to achieve something like this:

I’ve also been charring some larch for the window frames – now that is fun (and great looking).
    I’ve taken videos and photos, so I’ll put something up (probably in a part 2 thread).

hora
    Free Member

Ok. I feel inspired by this thread. MrsHora has told me this greenhouse HAS to go due to horaJnr being a crazy fella who wont mix well with glass.

So once its gone it leaves a lovely concrete base. What could I put in its place?

I have never built ANYTHING before but I can visualise sawing wood, nailing it and levelling with a spirit level etc.

What could I make thats simple?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 260 total)

The topic ‘Shed build – things I’m learning.’ is closed to new replies.