Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • any RTA (lighting) experts in – ossifer ?
  • towzer

Can anybody quote (chapter and verse) the law relating to car sidelights ?

benji
    Free Member

Usage or function?

trail_rat
    Free Member

It is a legal requirement for motorists to ensure that their sidelights to also include the rear registration number plate are illuminated between sunset and sunrise. Sidelights must also be used during the hours of daylight when visibility is reduced.

The law also states that drivers must park their vehicle at night facing the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space and to use sidelights or parking lights if parked on a road with a speed limit greater than 30mph.

Admittedly i picked two of the least abided by parts of the law…. what part was it you specifically wanted to know.

oh and its RTC in 2014

craigxxl
    Free Member

As far as I can remember in the UK it’s a minimum of dipped headlights. Sidelights do not count as lights for the purpose of headlights.

towzer

colour – latest BMWs are orange – imho that’s bad, ie roundabout(other road junctions are available), look right, car/orange light on LHS – turning left – ARGGHH (and yes I know it’s not that simple) but being of a cynical nature I’m thinking of emailing their marketing team to suggest that if their sidelights flashed it would make them even more distinctive.

any links to rtc

scotroutes

I was always taught never to assume that an indicator was proof of a car turning as it could have been mistakenly left on from another manoeuvre. I always wait until the vehicle is making the indicated manoeuvre before committing myself.

Edit: if it’s a colour issue then Vehicle Construction and Use would be where to look?

verses

Surely the sight of a BMW indicating was the first sign that something was amiss..

craigxxl
    Free Member

I was caught out with that earlier this year. Pulled up to a roundabout seen the orange lamp on the left of the BMW car but not the right due it approach angle. Started pulling out before I realised it was going straight on. Luckily I was able to hit the brakes and no one was behind me.

scotroutes

A quick scan of VC&U suggests that any colour except red is allowable on any front-facing lamp.

towzer

? where is that please scotroutes

I was always taught never to assume that an indicator was proof of a car turning

,couldn’t agree more, but with orange limited to turn/hazard use it would (imho) easier/quicker for drivers to establish what others are doing (and yes I am aware that indictors are somewhat of an optional extra etc etc, however used properly they definitely help others), if orange becomes common we’ve lost that quick link.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘any RTA (lighting) experts in – ossifer ?’ is closed to new replies.