Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • SharePoint numpty help (laying out a page of documents)
  • ampthill

I work in a large college and we are moving from BlackBoard to SharePoint.

What i would like to do is create a page where I have a 2 column table. Left column is documents that are questions. Right column is documents that are answers.

I think I can do this by add “page”

Add “Text section”

Add “table”

I can then add links into the table by going the document and getting a link to that document. Then clicking in the table and clicking “Add link” then pasting the documents URL there

But that seems really slow and clunky. I know nothing so I’m sure I’m missing something. I’m happy to watch quite a long video on Sharepoint if it covers this.

I can see that I could just have a folder of questions and answer with the correct file names but its never seems as good. Plus often question are word and answers pdf….

ampthill

PS I could do this in OneNote but I’m assuming that if everything in Sharepoint is on OneNote I’ve missed the point

Kamakazie

How do you want to make it straight forward?
    Are you trying to automate the population of the table somehow? If so, how are the documents with Qs and As in them referenced or linked to each other?

You can use SharePoint lists (like an embeded excel sheet), rather than a table in a page, but it won’t help with any sort of automation at the basic level.

ampthill

Thanks for the response. I made some progress by adding a second monitor. Tha saved navigating to a document then the navigate to the table. I wasn’t hoping for auto population just say search for file from the table

I’ll have a play with sharepoint lists. thanks

Kamakazie

You could probably do something with document metadata to link an answer doc to a question and use that to populate the table, or alternatively, you could setup view filters associated with that metadata and provide links to it.

Other than that, not sure there’s a particularly more efficient way based on what it sounds like you are doing.

ampthill

On frustration today is that Microsoft seem to have turned off the ability to add new TAGS. So that removed that as an option for another set of files. I also failed to show a particular “folder” in a “document library” added to a page. It looked like it should work but just wouldn’t accept the “path”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘SharePoint numpty help (laying out a page of documents)’ is closed to new replies.