Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)
  • Sexist porcine lawyer
  • Cougar

just because contacts on FB are called ‘friends’ doesn’t mean they really are. I have FB friends who I’d never make that sort of comment about, so to say that just because it was on FB makes it Ok is not correct.

Oh come on. Sure, there are people on FB it would be inappropriate to say something that to. I’ve “friends” who I went to school with, barely said two words to when I was there and haven’t spoken to since, and the same applies; an opening gambit of how stunning they are would be inappropriate. Doesn’t make my point any less valid, FB is absolutely awash with comments along the lines of “looking hot today!” or, being Facebook, “my gawjuss dorta, wit woo.” I’m pretty certain that none of those comments are exchanges between complete strangers trying to establish a professional working relationship.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m willing to bet good money had it been a 29 year old, model good looks kinda guy, that had made the same comment she would have taken the compliment and we would never have heard about it. There’s an agenda going on here (what a surprise)

+1

theotherjonv

Your point was that because it was to friends on facebook that suggested it was OK. I’m saying it isn’t automatically OK, depends whether they are friends or ‘FB friends’. You can neither convict her (as the DM seems to be trying to do) or acquit her of objectification based on what we know at this point.

The fact that FB is full of similar comments doesn’t make it OK

[edit – although if i had to place a bet i’d say probably they are genuine friends who will be flattered by the comments and no offence has been meant or taken. And the DM is trying to shitstir. It usually is]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Same thing.

Yes and No
    Context matters

I’m pretty certain that none of those comments are exchanges between complete strangers trying to establish a professional working relationship.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain that none of those comments are exchanges between complete strangers trying to establish a professional working relationship.

TBF, I think only one of those strangers was trying to establish a working relationship.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is kinda the point

She tried this he “Hit” on here

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is on R4 womans hour now

Should be right up your street Wrecker 😛

they called it a kerfuffle

philjunior
    Free Member

Hmmm, I think a lot of the comments on here are correct in that one sentence of his reply to her email was ill judged, and her response was totally nobbish, but what is really winding me up is that everywhere she talks about it as him having approached her – which he did not do, he responded to a request to add her to his network.

Clearly it’s worked for her unfortunately as she’s got massive amounts of publicity, but if my wife or daughter were subject to sexual discrimination and I was looking for a good lawyer would I choose her? Absolutely not.

Also, if a female partner in a firm had made the same comment, would she have taken offence? Now who’s being sexist?

(It does come across letchy, but not sexist per se.)

Cougar

I’m saying it isn’t automatically OK, depends whether they are friends or ‘FB friends’. You can neither convict her (as the DM seems to be trying to do) or acquit her of objectification based on what we know at this point.

No, and I wasn’t saying either of those things either. I’m not quite sure why you think I was.

I’m saying that the DM’s assertion that she’s as bad as he is because she’s commented on – and it uses the word “friends” explicitly, several times – the looks of her friends on Facebook is a straw man. The two situations aren’t even remotely similar. As is often the case, context is king; it’s like comparing a job interview with going to the pub.

The bloke – a “senior partner at a law firm” – responded to her request to work together with a bunch of comments effusing about her profile picture and mentioned her skills practically as an afterthought, and he knew he was being “politically incorrect” when he did it. Now, let’s not get all bogged down on whether it’s sexist or not; what it is is unprofessional, disrespectful and patronising. To suggest that it’s somehow ok because she’s also complimented friends on Facebook who probably aren’t expecting to be valued by their professional merit when they post selfies is disingenuous at best.

Is it just me? Can we really not see how one of these things is not like the others? Did no-one else watch Sesame Street?

WTF is “feminazi” supposed to mean anyway?

In the world of the Daily Mail, “woman who dares to question a man” I think.

They do have a shred of a point based on how she’s handled it (which as I said at the outset was way OTT); I may be doing her a disservice but she does come across as the sort of person who was spoiling for exactly this sort of response, and to an extent perhaps he’s played right into her hands. But the DM quote there smacks of victim-blaming to me, if we can handwave this sort of Gene Hunt casual sexism by attacking her instead then it allows the Old Boys’ Network to carrying on being old boys; what was she thinking of playing at being a barrister anyway, she should be bringing tea for the men or staying at home squeezing out the next generation of misogynists, the silly little girl.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Sexist Porcine Lawyer described his own daughter as HOT?

I think this poor guy is being victimised for stating the obvious

The photo of his daughter excercising, She does indeed look hot ,this is byproduct of physical activity in a gym, of course I thinK she also looks hot.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I may be doing her a disservice but she does come across as the sort of person who was spoiling for exactly this sort of response,

Having listened to her on womans hours you do her no such dis service
    IMHO

That is not an attack of her but many feminists are only to happy and willing to find and highlight sexism

brooess
    Free Member

Worth listening to the Woman’s Hour segment – she gives her side of the story

Woman’s Hour

She admits she had an agenda in posting it on Twitter… to highlight incidences of everyday sexism – which is fair enough. I do think they should have called her out though on why she didn’t anonymise the man in question if this was her agenda… easily done to a screen shot and without putting his reputation on the line.

In defence of the points that she may have ruined her career she focussed on those who say she has ‘bitten the hand that feeds’ which is a focus on the politics of the matter, not those who’ve pointed out that ‘no client will trust you’ angle which I think is a very realistic and, from the point of view of clients, a quite reasonable perspective.

wrecker
    Free Member

Should be right up your street Wrecker

Think I’ll give it a miss, but thanks for the heads up.

chrismac

Given that she is trying to become a media type with bits of work on the radio and in the press then I suspect this is just a publicity stunt to raise her profile.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Obviously a no news day. It’s such a non-story as to be a total waste of bandwidth and print. She’s clearly manipulating social media to her advantage (no problem with that) but in a negative way. Shame it’s backfired on her.

Move along now. Nothing to see here.

badnewz
    Free Member

Both her and the lurker come across as complete tosspots. Made me count my blessings I didn’t go into law.

wwaswas

This is 4 hours of her twitter feed. If she was looking to provoke a reaction she’s succeeded.

https://medium.com/@martinbelam/a-four-hour-window-into-the-storm-of-abuse-feminazi-lawyer-charlotte-proudman-faces-on-twitter-b654f5fa36ce

WARNING: contains quite a lot of NSFW language.

DezB
    Free Member

This is 4 hours of her twitter feed.

I glanced over a short section of that. Just goes to show what absolute morons use Twitter.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Am I the only one who would really like to see her dressed up as ” That one off the Bill”?……..Just me then?

wwaswas

A Roman centurion?

Probably just you, tbh.

Cougar

I glanced over a short section of that. Just goes to show what absolute morons use Twitter. exist.

FTFY.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have to love the fact that a lady who feels so violated chooses to make such an effort with the LI photo – no really.

Cougar

Yeah, she should’ve just posted a photo of herself in curlers or out on the lash. That always makes a good impression in legal circles.

DenDennis
    Free Member

Well she went to great lengths to find the same stylist as He Man, didn’t she? ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

All my staff have professional photos – they don’t need the glammed up look. They consider THAT demeaning and unnecessary as they are professionals.

No justification for the comments from the partner – plain stupid. But the irony of the whole thing can’t go unnoticed.

I have watched plenty of professional (?) service women use their looks to advance their work and then pull the discrimination card when things go pear shaped later. The whole thing is absurdly unbalanced.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All my staff have professional photos

Only today you were telling us, when asked if you had a degree in economics

Yes thanks and a 100% A*/A hit rate with tutees. Why?*

Its quite a busy and diverse working life you lead what with the teaching and employing all your staff and monitoring their linkedin.
    I am glad you find time to post on here as that job sounds awfully strange not to mention busy.

Any analysis would show which gender has it toughest, out of interest have you ever seen a woman hit the glass ceiling or had a harder time due to gender? I am sure you treat your tutees and staff equally well but somewhere else in your working life? Surely you must have as it seems so diverse and extensive

* http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/living-wage-inflation/page/2#post-7166695

peterfile
    Free Member

All my staff have professional photos – they don’t need the glammed up look. They consider THAT demeaning and unnecessary as they are professionals.

+1

You can’t find a single work related photo or bio of me anywhere. No linkedin, absent from company website, name kept off promotional and press stuff.

In an age when it seems the norm to prostitute yourself to anyone and everyone, apparently I’m being silly, but I get a strange satisfaction of being “ungoogleable” professionally. That said, I don’t need to win any work, so can see why those who need to drum up clients would find it beneficial/necessary.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

So she’s ageist and he’s sexist?

Shame really ‘cos if they were French they could just bang and smoke, bang and smoke, write existentialist poetry, smoke, bang then lounge about looking bored with each other in a sultry fashion.

bearnecessities

“PaPa”
    “Nicole”
    “No PaPa”
    “Nicole”
    “Meh. Ok”

anagallis_arvensis

Its quite a busy and diverse working life you lead what with the teaching and employing all your staff and monitoring their linkedin.

All that work must make him sweaty

Cougar

they don’t need the glammed up look

Are we talking about the same photo? It’s mildly flattering sure, but it’s not going to be on the cover of Vogue any time soon.

DrJ

Are we talking about the same photo? It’s mildly flattering sure, but it’s not going to be on the cover of Vogue any time soon.

It’s a woman trying to look good. Obviously she is asking for it, and deserves whatever she gets.

DrJ

True, but it’s important to keep tabs on what’s going on below stairs.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀 How very true 😀

poah
    Free Member

better not hold the door open for her, likely to get a mouth full of abuse for being misogynic

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Some of-em are real tetchy don’t you find usually their time of the month 😉

Can imagine there is much moral outrage and bants going on in the silly kids playground Twitter and Facebook. Well really who takes it seriously or gives a flying f$$k about these uppty, self-promoting, narcissistic, adult children and their by-proxy squabblings about nothing!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On Newsnignt tonight FWIW

Tiger6791

Gonna record it incase she’s looking ‘hot’ 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Oh my christ, I can’t believe this is still dragging on! GO AWAY!

lodious
    Free Member

She came across as a goon.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘Sexist porcine lawyer’ is closed to new replies.