Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Serial post abandoner
  • amedias
    Free Member

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Lately (like last few months) I’ve found myself doing my normal perusing of the forums, reading threads, feeling like I have something to contribute, typing a (often lengthy) reply and then when I get to the re-reading stage to check it says what I intended to say and in the way I want to say it and doesn’t have any glaring typos I just go “Ah stuff it, can’t be bothered!” and delete the whole lot and close the tab!

My ‘typed to submitted’ post ratio is probably about 5:1 these days, I’m not even sure why, it’s not on controversial threads or anything like that, I just get overcome with this feeling of can’t-be-botheredness where I worry that I’ll come back and check on the thread later to find someone has misread/ignored/argued or whatever and that actually Id be better off just leaving it.

Is it a symptom of general malaise of attitude on the forum, or just a personal disenchantment and grumpyness that I need to get over?

kayak23

Yeah do it all the time. Shame a few others don’t in the mega threads 🙂

In addition to what I said above,

wwaswas

On second thoughts

wiggles
    Free Member

I do that sometimes, either just feel im not adding anything worthwhile or just decide to stay out of it…

trailwagger
    Free Member

fasthaggis

Do you know what,I …

bikebouy
    Free Member

Obvz

welshfarmer

Less so on here. But on some of the other forums I frequent for sure.

fasthaggis

OP
    Just post a photo reply.
    It really can say a thousand words and annoys the hell out of a few forumites 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes. Often I have something very clear in my head but when the words come out they gets start to make sense not and what said is not helpful or point less.

wwaswas

annoys the hell out of a few forumites

Drac

fasthaggis

Sorry*

GrahamS

Yeah, I often type out a reply then ask myself “Is this actually adding anything to the discussion?”

But it is something I have learnt to do after years on here (and don’t always practise).

kelvin

Matt… you’re just being wise.

kelvin

…and you Graham…

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

it’s a bit like some good advice I was given at work a long time ago. It was suggested that it would be better if I leave some of my emails 24 hours before replying i.e. after jabbing the keys with an angry or emotional response, just leave it be for a while and then re-read it before firing it off.

It usually turned out that I could retype a less confrontational email or in many cases just ignore what had previously riled me for the tosh it actually was.

Worked for me.

P.S. I actually wrote this yesterday and left it before replying 😆 😉

nick1962
    Free Member

I do exactly the same.
    I rationalise it by thinking that the fact that I’ve written it, is cathartic enough.
    Plus you can’t get into any rows 😉

kelvin

…and you two…

nick1962
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Yeah, I often type out a reply then ask myself “Is this actually adding anything to the discussion?”

My thoughts exactly Graham …..when you do post 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

Graham et al. This is more than just self censoring and reflecting before posting, which I did/do anyway. This is full on typed what I wanted to say, re-read and checked it, and then just simply thought “why bother”.

But glad I’m not alone 😀

(although I nearly didn’t post this reply!)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Writing a post here of seventeen syllables is very diffic

mefty
    Free Member

Absolutely, if I think I am, I don’t press send, otherwise I do.

wilburt
    Free Member

I delete more than I post.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Yes quite frequently ..but even worse is when I have written something that I intended to post and supported it with pics ..then hit the back button and have lost everything ..thats a genuine smoke out of the ears moment ..

CheesybeanZ

Less so on here. But on some of the other forums

Other forums … there are other forums !!

ads678

I do it loads. I sometimes just think that once certain things are typed out they can lose meaning or can be construed the wrong way too easily and I just can’t be arsed getting into a long discussion or potential argument.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I do it a lot, usually because I look at it and think that it’s just me bragging or being crass. I try to do it more and more these days.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I do it loads as well. Often on an advice question I’ll type what I know works & before posting I think, ‘ahh sod it, no-one ever takes any bloody notice’ & don’t bother. Done it loads of times.
    (What pisses me off most though is when you give someone advice that you know for certain &…no reply. Then 10 pages later someone says the same thing & the OP thanks THEM & says, ‘ooh champion thanks a lot for that’ :roll:)

vickypea
    Free Member

I sometimes plan to write something detailed but then shorten it because I think no one will read it, but then it’s too short to make much sense!

wwaswas

What pisses me off most though is when you give someone advice that you know for certain &…no reply. Then 10 pages later someone says the same thing & the OP thanks THEM & says, ‘ooh champion thanks a lot for that’ 🙄

I have a wife like that. She has a problem, I make a suggestion she ignores, three weeks later she turns up with advice from a stranger that matches what I said and thinks it’s the best advice ever given.

tjagain

It will probably surprise many of you but I do this. write out a post then not send it usually because I think it may be misconstrued or that its the same point I have made 17 times.

DezB
    Free Member

Nope, I type whatever comes into my tiny brain without thinking and hit post immediately. Usually full of bad spells, so edit just to correct them. This might be obv.

RustySpanner

Esme
    Free Member

Then 10 pages later someone says the same thing and the OP thanks THEM and says, ‘ooh champion thanks a lot for that’

What I find even more irritating is when we all make the effort to give advice (eg suggesting routes) and the OP never comes back to the thread. And never thanks anyone.

mickmcd
    Free Member

just decide to stay out of it.

mostly this …

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m increasingly abandoning mildly snarky posts or other contributions that I suddenly realise are utterly pointless.

I have a way to go to reach your ratio though OP.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What I find even more irritating is when we all make the effort to give advice (eg suggesting routes) and the OP never comes back to the thread. And never thanks anyone.

I agree BUT!… quite often when I have received/followed advice then come back & said, ‘thanks, sorted!’ people still keep giving advice &/or just carry on with it! So sometimes the OP has said thanks but It’s all been lost in resultant threads.

joshvegas
    Free Member

It bugs me when i write a reply i think is hilarious then post it.

Then i realise its not funny and infact I posted it twice

nick1962
    Free Member

or that its the same point I have made 17 times.

Just got to work on not posting the other 16 TJ and you’ll be there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Serial post abandoner’ is closed to new replies.