Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Selling up and sodding off
  • globalti
    Free Member

We’ve bought a plot in a national park in Scotland and our planning application is online now. Is that a bad idea?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends on your reasons for selling up and sodding off. If it is you think the grass will be greener on the other side and your problems/worries/concerns will disappear….you couldn’t be more wrong…they will follow and hound you to the ends of the earth. Better to deal with problems head on wherever you are rather than try to take the easy way out and run from them. If you just fancy a change then go for it.

willard

Done it already. Now living and working in Sweden and loving it and, despite Howsyourdad1’s comments, think it’s awesome.

I can’t see myself ever going back.

kerley
    Free Member

Better to deal with problems head

Some problems just can’t be dealt with. Some countries are just going to be nicer to live in than others due to different cultures and priorities.

Dickyboy

Love where we live, just hate the price of land/housing, but way harder for our kids, tried to see if they would consider shifting but they’ve already rooted here too. Could easily buy in laws place & go live in Corsica for 9 months a year & rent it the other 3 🤔

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Sicily eh?

Am in the process of moving to Malta (Gozo island) and have committed to the flat but would definitely have taken a look at Sicily had that offer been available at the time. Waiting for the ferry to Malta from Pozallo, I had a look around and even there there was a decent looking farmhouse with couple of acres for around 90K Euros. The road out is awful but I think I saw a new motorway being built, probably for the ferry traffic, which is likley to ramp up property prices

mickmcd
    Free Member

Depends on your reasons for selling up and sodding off. If it is you think the grass will be greener on the other side and your problems/worries/concerns will disappear….you couldn’t be more wrong…they will follow and hound you to the ends of the earth. Better to deal with problems head on wherever you are rather than try to take the easy way out and run from them

Definitely none of this going on .Quite lucky that I have few worries , more a case of life’s short what else is out there.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@willard  sorry I should be clearer. Sweden is great, i’m never going back to the UK either, but I do think some people believe it is Utopia, and yeah it’s not. Everywhere has its good and bad points is all I mean.

willard

Jag förstår. I know here has faults (experienced some of them first hand), but for me, the downsides are outweighed substantially by the positives. I like it here and damn site more than the UK.

honeybadgerx

I’ve been spending a fair bit of time in Sweden lately, and I think if it wasn’t for my other half is be looking for a move.

stompy

that’s quite an adventurous leap for most Brits – sounds really interesting. Is your wife originally Croatian? How do you get on with the language?

We were both late twenties, free and fed up with the UK….. Definitely didn’t want to raise kids there. Tbh it was a bit reckless, we just fell in love with the place and let our hearts rule but then I’m of the mind that if you think about things too much you’ll end staying in your nice safe bubble drinking tea… “best not risk it eh?!”

My good lady is Irish/English….the language is tough, not Latin based so not many similarities to Western European languages…. And Croatia has not seen much in the way of immigration so they are not used to hearing foreigners trying to speak their language so can be hard to make yourself understood…. Easier in Zagreb. I get by and manage to run a successful business here, Google translate is a godsend.

It is very much overlooked as an option for those wanting to escape the UK. It has it’s issues but houses are dirt cheap, most often come with acres of land and forest, the weather is great, people friendly and it is safe, no crime at all.

stompy

what are the main luxuries you have to do without? what do you miss the most

Marmite, Walkers crisps, decent ale/cider…. You know, stuff you can quite easily do without but miss…. We get regular care packages from the UK to keep us going 🙂

Seriously though, the bureaucracy is pretty challenging…. It takes an age to get anything done, piles of paperwork for the simplest of tasks…. I miss the simplicity of getting things done in the UK….. But not much else.

The riding here is great to…. Mostly wild but endless….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Funny how a few people moved from the UK years ago & before any mention of EU referendums.
    I wish (kind of) that I’d gone to Canada when I was younger, especially after I visited in 2000.

alpin
    Free Member

I’ve been in Germany for over ten years.

Now got itchy feet. As said above, the grass ain’t always greener.

There will be things that get on your toes where ever you are.

cheers_drive

Mrs CD is Danish and my daughters have dual citizenship so we have a relatively easy out. But I find the place so dull, I’ve spent quite a bit of time there and the conformity makes me want to scream.
    I do realise that this could just be that her family live in Jutland instead of near Copenhagen or one of the cities.

handybar
    Free Member

Look on the bright side – the only time most of our ancestors were allowed to leave old Blighty was as cannon fodder.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I wish (kind of) that I’d gone to Canada when I was younger, especially after I visited in 2000.

It’s this kind of thing …stood in pub at birthday people and loads of regrets from folks that coulda woulda shoulda….im kind of do i want to be stood in their shoes in 22 years saying that

rone

Australia is still a live option for me. I’d consider it when we see where the country is going

I get it … But you’re going to a country that is more racist that what we have here!

Why don’t the remainers stay and fight for what they want the UK to be?

funkmasterp

I definitely regret not seeing more of the world. Now have two kids, a mortgage and no real skills or qualifications. I say go for it!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Selling up and sodding off’ is closed to new replies.