Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Selling our house in Sheffield – what woudl you expect from the estate agents?
  • bikerevivesheffield

We have a baby due in November and NEED to move before then as our house is too small 🙁
    Houses in the area are coming/going REALLY quickly, friends down the road had 40+ viewings in a weekend and sold for 20% over the asking.
    We are in a great area (Crookes (S10)) and have the house on at 10% lower than comparable houses in the immediate area, we have 11 viewings over an 8 day period.
    Would you expect the Estate Agents to be driving traffic our way or being somewhat passive?
    Feeling a bit downhearted as we have a timescale that could be tight/uncomfortable 🙁

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That’s a lovely looking place. Stop fretting!
    I’d expect it to be on rightmove, which it is, and I’d have given the EA 6 weeks to sell it. If not, try someone else. How long have you given them ?

bikerevivesheffield

Granted only 2 weeks but the other 3 we know in area have sold in 2-8 days 🙁 It’s more the lack of viewing and proactive approach i’m concerned about. 🙁

finbar
    Free Member

Get on the phone to the estate agent and ask them to do more. Give it 4-5 days and if that doesn’t lead to any uptick, call again and explain you’ll be switching to Saxton Mee or Blundells if it hasn’t sold in six weeks (/however long you’re contracted to Redbrik for).

Superficial
    Free Member

Buying a house on a strict timescale is incredibly stressful – I can understand your frustration.

But speaking from experience, you can probably relax your timings a bit. Whilst the idea of having a new house ready for a baby is appealing, be aware that newborns don’t do anything for the first 6 months of their life, and will be sleeping in a crib in your bedroom until then. So your current house is most likely OK. Just don’t take on a project house or anything.

IHN

This is of absolutely no use to you, but I lived around the corner from there, on Heavygate Road, when I was at uni in Sheffield. The Princess Royal was my local. Happy days.

More on topic, it’s clearly a nice house, it will sell. 11 viewings over 8 days is good.

Would you expect the Estate Agents to be driving traffic our way or being somewhat passive?

I’d expect them to do as little as they can get away with, so don’t let them get away with it. Ring them and ask them what they’re doing, and keep badgering them.

geuben
    Free Member

No help from me as I’ve never sold. I am surprised by 11 viewings in 8 days*. We were looking in S7,8 & 11 late last year early this year and it was very hard to get viewings as they filled up super quick as you say.

*from experience pre-virus

docrobster
    Free Member

Well things will have changed since I last bought and sold 20 years ago but given that that was a Standard terraced house in crookes on the same street, that we were growing out of maybe not too much. Sounds like the market is as keen as ever up there and the estate agents should know what each house will fetch and have buyers queuing up… I wouldn’t worry too much. Selling was the easy bit. Buying, not so much. A bidding frenzy on every house. Always 10% over asking price at least.
    Maybe it’s priced too low? The buyers think something wrong😳
    Ps do you want to know what we sold 74 Bradley street for in 1999?

MoreCashThanDash

I deal with a lot of estate agents on the lettings side – all report lettings and sales going mad since they reopened.

Even agents can’t believe it. They also aren’t sure how long it can last – so good luck! 🤞

Killer
    Free Member

I expected so very little effort from the local EA other than access to their mailing / contact lists. we went with the online verisons for our 4 bed house in Walkley. If you’re paying for a service then i’d be on at them, as they charge significantly more than the online ones i’d be expecting a lot more for my money. THe online ones effecltily just put it on Right move and zoopla and just sent people our way when they clicked on thhe links. Not sure how much more we could have got from the local ones, but i’d be certainly asking for more support

mj27
    Free Member

You only need one buyer! keep telling yourself this. 40+ viewings it too much.

Sold my last house in 3 days, while the estate agent was going on holiday to France, negotiating either side of the flight. The previous one to that in 2 days.

You need to be known by the estate agents, call them, tell them your concerns as they need to know. They are working for you so make them earn it. There may be good reasons for what is happening.

Some sales are easy, others are hard but you need to be a good vendor and purchaser to make it all go your own way.

Unfortunately, there are too many people in the house selling game who don’t know the process well enough, lack integrity and let their emotions get the better of them, and this includes the home owners.

RichPenny
    Free Member

11 viewings in 8 days seems pretty good to me – it might all be relative but as above, you only need a few offers to get things rolling. Rishi has just handed about £4k to your buyer, so they’ll be in a good mood. It’ll be fine 🙂

matt_outandabout

Ah, I could have lobbed a ball from my old front garden, over the church, into your front garden.

It’s a nice house. In Crookes. It will sell.

As others have said, baby pre-move isn’t the end of the world. You’re fortunate to be able to afford a bigger place, even more fortunate to actually be able to act on it.

tonyf1
    Free Member

we have 11 viewings over an 8 day period.

Feedback from viewings? If the EA isn’t following up for feedback on viewings I’d be asking why.

Pieface

I used to live in the house 2 doors up, 113 about 15 years ago. I expect your house will sell quickly, and the EA’s probably doing as little as possible. I expect the viewings will come thick and fast, its on Rightmove which is probably all you need.

bikerevivesheffield

@pieface thats wen i used to ride with you in’t peak with si hill! Where are you now, still in hillsborough?
    Rob

cakeandcheese

Just adding to the list of STWers who have lived on Bradley Street (140 from memory, around 2008).

Nice road that.

finbar
    Free Member

st adding to the list of STWers who have lived on Bradley Street (140 from memory, around 2008).

Not quite, but I was on Northfield Road just over the back of the OP’s garden (well, almost) from 2003-2005.

sharkattack

I don’t know much about estate agents or the housing market but I did buy a house in Sheffield last year. We looked at 3 houses in Crookes and made offers at the asking price and were outbid every time.

When we found the house we really wanted we offered about 5% over the asking price. It still wasn’t his highest offer but we were ready to move and the seller was in a hurry so we got lucky. We could not have gone any higher.

Someone a few doors away from us had an open house on a Saturday a few weeks ago and there was a constant stream of people coming and going all morning. It sold the following week for way over the listing price. Not bad for a lockdown.

So yeah don’t stress. There’s tonnes of people in Sheffield looking for houses with the money ready to pounce. As a buyer it was really bloody frustrating! Everything we looked at that was half decent was sold in days.

jolmes
    Free Member

Be thankful you’ve had some viewings, we put ours on the market on the 1st July and have had none! Im starting to think something is wrong with it or its overpriced. We’ve had people come outside and look at it and take their own pictures etc but absolutly nothing from the estate agents yet, in that time period we’ve seen 9 properties. Very disheartening.

matt_outandabout

We were Slinn Street the other way 2000-2003…

finbar
    Free Member

Be thankful you’ve had some viewings, we put ours on the market on the 1st July and have had none! Im starting to think something is wrong with it or its overpriced. We’ve had people come outside and look at it and take their own pictures etc but absolutly nothing from the estate agents yet, in that time period we’ve seen 9 properties. Very disheartening.

Post a stealth ad/link on here, you never know 😉

IHN

We were Slinn Street the other way 2000-2003…

So the Princess Royal was your local too! Although I was there 97-99. Small world eh…

Pieface

@bikerevivesheffield – That was about then yes, but think I’d moved to Hillsborough in 2006 so about then yes. We moved out of Hillsborough in 2014 and have been in Greenhill / Beauchief since then. Seems that you’ve had quite a change from living in Cressbrook to becoming a self-employed bike mechanic?

Pook

Toftwood Road here.

Moved to Fulwood now though

Rob_S
    Free Member

Moved from a 2 bed terrace on Toftwood Road 20 years ago got £57,000, prices have certainly gone up since then.
    Crookes was filling up with student rentals then, not sure what its like now.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I sold my house in Toftwood road last year for 165 I think. 3 bed but needed a bit of work as it had been let out for a few years. Who’s your agent?

breadcrumb

We had no viewings for the first month!

Then one afternoon we were told a couple wanted to view that evening.

Next morning they made a good offer and that was that.

tuboflard

Ex-Northfield Road then Bole Hill Road resident here. Now in the leafy suburbs of Totley as getting old.

You’ll sell in no time OP, Sheffield market seems particularly bouyant, we’re selling a flat just off Psalter Lane and it went in a flash, complete mid August.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

We had no viewings for the first month!

Then one afternoon we were told a couple wanted to view that evening.

Next morning they made a good offer and that was that.

Same with ours, was on Rightmove for a month and I was starting to think I’d over cooked the asking price, then the first viewing came with an asking price offer next morning. Job done.

fingerbang
    Free Member

It will sell, im sure you’ve weighed it up but I wouldn’t even be reducing the price to speed it along

My sister just sold her house in 12 days after putting it up, and that was in the 500000 bracket. The selling market is on fire it seems.

Plus all viewers have to be in a position to buy now so you’re getting a better quality of viewer post covid

If you’re prepared to move into rented then surely this will ease the pressure? And chances are the post covid wasteland will favour buyers Depends if you’ve got pets though I guess

bigdean

Why do you need estate agent?
    We sold a house last year using £99 homes https://www.99home.co.uk/ and best solicitors (sheffield based) https://www.bestsolicitorsonline.co.uk
    Arranged viewing our selfs and offers, estate agent just put it on right move.
    We completed pretty quick as well.

Richie_B

Another Bradley St resident here though for the life of me I couldn’t say what number as it was in the early 90s. I zigzagged through Sheffield staring in Hillsborough (well Walkley Lane) and ending up in Sharrow over a period of about 20years

mildred

… what woudl you expect from the estate agents?

To be ripped off; in my experience they all lie about prospects of selling, what they’ll do for you and the price, take a few pics and stick it on a website. Then do **** all but wait for someone to book a viewing, which we always ended up doing ourselves despite me requesting they did it.

The last time we sold a house the estate agent forgot to turn up to host our open house day, which they’d organised on “national open house day”. Then lied through their teeth when I complained.

What particularly irks me is that they charge so much in comparison to the conveyer for doing literally nothing but upload some photos.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Selling our house in Sheffield – what woudl you expect from the estate agents?’ is closed to new replies.