Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Selling Old Workwear – good/bad idea?
  • ready

I’m currently clearing out the garage and have discovered a few bags of unused hi-vis workwear given to me from my last employer. Some items have the (large national) company name embroidered on.
    I left the job 3 years ago, but can I sell it? It’s quality stuff, still bagged with labels, and probably worth a couple of hundred quid on selling sites..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends, were you given it, and did it appear on your P11d, or did your employer lend it to you for use while you worked for them?

Pedantic, but if you sell it then it’s a taxable benefit.

ready

It never went on my P11d, and was part of the ‘uniform’ of a dock worker, hi vis safety gear/boots etc. I’ve just accumulated lots of it over the years!

b230ftw
    Free Member

You probably signed up a contract which required you to return it when you finished the job, I’ve had it in every job I’ve had.
    Contact the company and ask if they want it back first.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Just a thought, what’s stopping someone from buying it and then pretending to be an employee of the company for nefarious reasons?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It never went on my P11d, and was part of the ‘uniform’ of a dock worker, hi vis safety gear/boots etc. I’ve just accumulated lots of it over the years!

I suppose they could just say that used workwear was of zero value so wouldn’t be on it anyway.

But in general, as above I’d suspect it’s more down to it still being company property. I doubt they would really GAS, but you never know they might have an ebay saved search setup looking for people selling off their kit for a bit of income and just getting more from stores.

Just a thought, what’s stopping someone from buying it and then pretending to be an employee of the company for nefarious reasons?

If they let any old person in a high vis jacket on site then they’ve got security issues!

vdubber67
    Free Member

Stick it on eBay. If anyone asks, you bought it from a car boot sale.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If they let any old person in a high vis jacket on site then they’ve got security issues!

Most sites do. High vis is like a cloaking field for ne’er-do-wells.

footflaps

High vis is like a cloaking field for ne’er-do-wells.

Yep, if you want to angle grind through a D lock in the middle of the day, just don a high-viz jacket and work very slowly as if you’re on overtime. No one will bother you…..

bruneep

probably worth a couple of hundred quid on selling sites..

sell away then, buy a few years membership for here then its a win win

CountZero

I doubt they would really GAS

Depends on how bad the leak is they think you’re trying to fix…

High vis is like a cloaking field for ne’er-do-wells.

Damn right, when you consider there are people who use hi-viz as casual wear, others only see the yellow or orange, they don’t really see people. I’ve always thought that if you were a private detective casing out people’s homes or whatever, plonking yourself down nearby on a folding chair with a flask, hi-viz with a vaguely appropriate logo and a clipboard, and say you’re doing traffic surveys, it might as well be a cloak of invisibility!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Bogus callers love this stuff, firms should do more to get it back in but ultimately it’s you putting granny at risk

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Selling Old Workwear – good/bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.