Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Selling bikes – where’s best these days?
  • gotbike
    Free Member

Got my bike up for sale (not turning this in to a stealth ad so won’t say what it is), but not getting much in the way of interest. I’m confident the price is fair on it based on other bikes about (for lower specs) seem to be advertised for about the same I’m asking. Was just wondering if anyone had advice on where to list if I haven’t thought of somewhere already? Pinkbike, fb marketplace, here and gumtree so far. Avoiding ebay unless a £1 selling fee weekend comes up.

TIA

big_scot_nanny

Hi, I chased the same question a few months ago. Sold three bikes extremely quickly, for my asking price, on Facebook market place. So that gets my thumbs up. Had my bikes on here too, happy to pay the fees to support the site, but only one nibble on one bike.

(FWIW, I like the way you can check the profile of the person showing interest or buying, see if they are ‘real’)

nickjb
    Free Member

It does depend a bit. I had a clear out recently and used Facebook to target local collection. Most went but had some stuff that was up for a while and didn’t so I stuck it on eBay and it went straight away. From that if say eBay is best but you definitely want a £1 deal. With the new payment system that is all you pay, no PayPal fees.

nbt

I’ve got a bike advertised on here (one comment but no message) and Pinkbike (one derisory offer within 30 minutes of posting but nothing else), will keep an eye on this and try some other suggestions

Conan257
    Free Member

Just sold a frame on PB for my asking price within 24 hours…. Should have asked for me?

matt_outandabout

We just sold a bike on FB MTB groups – I mentioned the bike was coming up for sale in a ‘wanted’ post. Sold it for asking price a week later to the author of the ‘wanted’ advert.

gotbike
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys. On 14 FB groups already apparently, maybe I just need to be a bit more patient! Will lower asking price in a few days if nothing coming through I guess

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Sold a bike on FB market place recently, it was sold and collected within three hours. Have also sold a pile of parts as well. Obvs there’s the odd time waster but that’s to be expected…
    In the current climate if it’s not selling, it’s maybe overpriced

tomhoward

Full bikes, I’ve had most success with FB groups. Parts tend to do better on here or PB, though PB does have a lot of idiots it seems…

v7fmp

i have some Lyrik ultimates for sale on PB. A fair few enquiries, but not much action. Everyone wants something for free, its very frustrating. I am happy to haggle, but dont expect to get some brand new forks for pittance.

Anyway, yeah PB or Ebay is where i have sold most bike based bits (albeit never a complete bike, i usually strip and sell what i dont need for my next build).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Facebook.

But although there’s probably a covid tax (especially on 26″ bits), new-ish stuff still seems to be at the “about half the price it is in the shops” level. The exception might be stuff that’s out of stock. There’s been a bikepacking quilt popping up on my feed at RRP now for a month. It’s in stock online for about 30% off but the seller seems sure it’ll sell.

gotbike
    Free Member

You say that there’s a covid tax on 26 bits but the bike I’m trying to sell is 26 and I’m not having much action! The brand’s well loved too…

Maybe I’m being impatient, it might get a bit more attention at the weekend, we’ll see.

Yak

Maybe give another weekend then drop the price?
    OR
    I know you like the colour as you chose it, but it looks uninspiring against that fence/ backdrop. Maybe go for a ride and photograph against a bit of big Dark Peak landscape, or something that will make the colour pop a bit more. It clearly is a great bike, but the pics aren’t selling it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My experience with Facebook is if you’re fractionally overpriced you get nothing (except the odd person offering half price or an XBox). If it’s priced realistically then it’ll be sold in hours. Most real buyers it seems CBA haggling, they’re scrolling through a list of similar bikes and picking the ones in budget. If you’re more expensive than the rest then no one clicks on it.

People sometimes go mad on ebay bidding against each other, I think with facebook you just have to accept that if you want to sell it quickly (remember anything older than a few days will be off the front page that it’ll never be found whereas ebay is doing the opposite and moving things up as the auction ends) you just have to knock 10-20% off and be happy that it’ll be gone quickly and the cash will be in your hand that day (and you would have paid ebay and PayPal that 20% anyway).

gotbike
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips Yak, may go and do that tonight then!

Interesting insight spoon, might be that if I drop the price a little bit then it’ll be gone quick

chakaping
    Free Member

Might be the crap weather lately.

gotbike
    Free Member

£3 max selling fees on eBay this weekend, as if by magic…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooohhh…

I’ve a V2 Bronson to sell, handy timing.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Selling bikes – where’s best these days?’ is closed to new replies.