Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Selling bike – better to split?
  • glenh
    Free Member

I’m not having much luck selling an 18 month old bike (and yes I’m happy to negotiate on price, but not gone down the ebay road yet due to the dodgy buyers and hefty fees).

Would I be better of splitting it and selling the parts separately? There seems to be a better market for individual parts as far as I can tell, and they are all in very good condition.

Has anyone else done this? Am I just going to get a load of hassle and end up with half a bike of bits left over no-one wants?

glenh
    Free Member

p.s. this is a genuine question, not some kind of subtle advert 😀

IHN

No, this is your subtle advert 😉

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/price-drop-2016-stumpjumper-fsr-elite-29-large-1350/

How much was it new? How much do they go for on eBay? You might just be asking too much.

Can be worth splitting, but it’s obviously a lot more hassle post-wise, and you’ll probably end up with the frame…

Northwind

TBH it depends on 3 things- the bike, the parts, and the seller. If it’s got a decent amount of parts that’ll be an upgrade for someone then it’s generally financially worth splitting… But it’s a ton more hassle and you basically want to be sure that you’ll get enough for the good bits, to cover the stuff that you sell for peanuts or give away.

The other thing is if you want to keep any parts- my spares bin is full of handy bits off bikes I’ve split, they might not be worth selling but they’re still worth having.

glenh
    Free Member

The only bits I’d consider keeping is the groupset I guess, since my other bike is newer, and has a different wheel size, but those bits will wear out at some point.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve always thought it’s more profitable to split but more hassle and you’ll end up with something left, even if you just put them on ebay no reserve.

At first glance your ad up there looks about the right price. Maybe you just need to put it up on more places, pinkbike, gumtree, facebook groups?

Edit – thought it was a carbon frame, you might need to go lower, I got a similar bike with a lot of spares for £1k last november.

I think as well most people will not get in touch if the price is too high for them by more than 10% or so, rather than getting in touch and trying to negotiate on it.

glenh
    Free Member

I put it on a few facebook groups, but not thought of pinkbike. Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

yeah I been thinking about splitting my fuse pro. should get more than £840 split.

but hassle factor is high

woodster

Probably do better splitting it, but I think the price is too high. You might get £1200 if you split, but more like a grand for the bike as it is I reckon.

glenh
    Free Member

Only £1K for a nearly £4k bike that is like new apart from a few minor paint scuffs? There’s not even any wear on the brake pads.

Might just keep it 😀 Shame my shed isn’t bigger, could really do with the space!

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s a sad fact that they’re never worth as much as you think they are 🙁

I sold a carbon 2016 Stumpy last year and got less that you’re advertising (although mine was used, but had carbon frame and Push tuned Kashima shock).

Had a few timewasters and messers, but got a reality check with the price. I originally put mine up for £1500.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Basically this is the reason I’ll never buy a new mtb again. I have 2 that never get used, both immaculate. Probably worth best part of 8k between them. I reckon I’d get 3k back max if I sold them, which on principle makes me want to keep hold of them.

Mtbs are out of date pretty much as soon as you roll them out the shop. Road bikes on the other hand aren’t. If I bought a replacement for my 4 year old roadie tomorrow I’d end up with practicality the same thing, with a slightly different paint job and newer model groupset. Obviously disk brakes have changed that somewhat but as I wouldn’t want them anyway it applies to me.

damascus
    Free Member

I bought a 16 stumpy a few years ago for less.

Do you still have the other shock? If you do, put that back on, drop the price and sell the plus shock separately.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Selling bike – better to split?’ is closed to new replies.