Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Selling a house share…what do i need to do?
  • Twodogs

One of my siblings is buying my share of the house we inherited from our parents.

I have no idea what legal things we might need to do to effect this…essentially, they need to give me money, and my name needs to be removed from the “deeds” (or whatever there is that show I part own it).

Is there more to it? Do we both need solicitors or could one do it all? Any advice gratefully received!

(I’m aware there may be capital gains due depending on value now vs value at probate)

avdave2

It was years ago but when I bought a house from my sister we could use one solicitor as we were family members. Not sure if that is still the same.

nickjb
    Free Member

It should be pretty straight foreword. Its a couple of forms (AP1 and TR1 I think) and a fee (£30?) to change the land register. If you want to do it by post then you’ll need a solicitor to verify your ID, as will your sibling. They do charge for this but it shouldn’t be too much. It is easier if you can both go to a land registry office. Take the forms and your passports and it’ll be done in 20 mins, no solicitor required. They have regional offices. It is a little more complicated if there is a mortgage on the property.

Twodogs

Great…thanks both. No mortgage involved

poolman
    Free Member

I may have this soon, is the value for probate just say average of 3 valuations. You sell your share less agent fees. In the current climate valuations are v difficult as there is no comparative sales data post virus.

5lab

its worth remembering that depending on the value of your share, your sister may be liable for stamp duty, and, assuming you didn’t live there as your primary residence, you may be liable for CGT

uwe-r
    Free Member

A solicitor will know the tax implications – not strictly there job but they do it all the time so you get good advice. Should be <£500 for one to act for both of you, fill in the forms and follow it through to ensure it is all done.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Selling a house share…what do i need to do?’ is closed to new replies.