Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Seen this custom gravel/MTB yet?
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

It’s kinda wrong but lovely at the same time. Amazing attention to detail..

matt_outandabout

Brilliant!

So totally different and thought provoking. Those shifters…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks a bit JML

slackboy

can’t stand the colour, but everything else… Hell yeah!

sirromj

Definitely looks more like a gravel bikers mountain bike than a mountain biker’s gravel bike. Umm hang on.

Colour = banana milkshake vomit + wheels + basket = JML.

Video thumbnail does it a disservice, actually quite interesting. Would definitely have semi slicks rather than those tyres.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s one hell of a hybrid!

p7eaven
    Free Member

Cannot unsee. Whyyyyeeeee?

tomhoward

I mean, if you’re gonna look that closely…

cookeaa

Ungggh, sponsored content.

Unattainable cobblers, the paint does not remind me of a Klein whatever inspiration he might claim.

Unserviceable hidden brake lines, a plethora of parts that mortals can’t afford or probably even find and disgusting mag wheels to boot…

To top it all, that is just a mountain bike it’s not a “gravel bike”. It’s a nice enough rich boys toy but I wouldn’t actually want to own it and use it as a gravel bike…

tomhoward

Unserviceable hidden brake lines

How are they any different to regular internally routed ones?

a plethora of parts that mortals can’t afford or probably even find

Thanks to instagram, you can type the company that makes the parts into it and it can, most of the time, put you directly in touch with them (often the main person, if it’s a small enough company). It’s expensive yes, but it’s all relative. The long lead time (Trick)stuff, I think he just swaps from bike to bike.

Colour wise its not something I’d do, but I can appreciate (and rob ideas from) the work that’s gone into it.

plus-one

I’d ride it 🙂 well till I realised it’s too flimsy/twisty/fragile feeling etc etc !!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Given the size of his thighs, us mere mortals saying “I wouldn’t ride that it’s too flimsy” makes me chuckle. He makes some fantastic looking custom bikes.

Unserviceable hidden brake lines

LOL!!! 80% of bikes have internal cables now. How often are you needing to service brake lines? Probs leads to more questions about your servicing skills :p He built it, I’m sure he can service them if they need it.

A rich kids toy? Lol too. You could say that about anything over a grand.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

In some ways, it’s like my “gravel” bike which is a rigid MTB.
    Apart from all the custom parts and integrations and £££s!

Mine is a Titus Fireline titanium 29er frame, a rigid monocoque carbon fork and lightweight fulcrum wheels with 2.1″ Vittoria Terreno Dry tyres.
    So much nice to ride than a drop bar bike on anything other than roads

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, it is a mountain bikers rigid mountain bike. What makes it a gravel bike in anyway, other than it can be ridden on gravel just like any other bike can.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ll take one in black please, with different wheels. But very cool & I would use that a lot.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Meh. I’m usually a big fan of rigid bikes. I am also a sucker for anything that reminds me of a skyway with tuff mags. That is minging though. A scandal frame with a big brother steel fork, or a Sonder Frontier right out of the box would probably be just as nice and wouldn’t make you want to wear daisy dukes.

cookeaa

LOL!!! 80% of bikes have internal cables now.

You say that like you think it’s a good thing… LOL.

You’re really saying you’d want to have to change the rear brake on that contraption? And Christ alone knows how well the lines have been routed/protected or if they’re slowly sawing through something…

I suppose I’m not really a fan of “integration” especially when it drives compatibility down to a handful of parts, that bike can basically now only really have one specific model of brake fitted. That’s not something to be impressed by.

Better yet an internal bump stop was needed to prevent the rear line being sheared, and there’s had to be holes drilled in the steerer… All because brake lines are unsightly?

Don’t get me wrong I know it’s a one off “custom” job, but it’s also how the industry drives mugs to want to but such tat.
    Pay a millennial to make a Gucci looking bike with (currently) uncommon features, measure the response and if enough are suckered into wanting invisible brake lines the marketing and R&D departments go to work…

I did like the shifters, very neat and customisable, would be great… On a MTB.

Yep, it is a mountain bikers rigid mountain bike. What makes it a gravel bike in anyway, other than it can be ridden on gravel just like any other bike can.

But essentially ^^this^^ why get such a lob-on for what is basically just a 1x rigid MTB? Tagging it with the ‘gravel’ label is just to get the interweb views up… Everything is marketing these days.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

When does a gravel bike become a mountain bike, rigid or otherwise?

the paint does not remind me of a Klein whatever inspiration he might claim.

Inspiration is not imitation.

benp1

I really like it 🙂

Looks really clean

lovewookie

it does get ridden, maybe only once though…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQhFujohk-H/

steve_b77
    Free Member

@cookeaa you want to check out his builds and how he goes about them, there’s no shortcuts to anything and it’s all done correctly, these things aren’t show ponies.

Yeah the man is loaded and no doubt gets favourable deals on parts due to his huge social media following, but he rides the tyres off his bikes, races them etc.

plus-one
    Free Member
    I’d ride it 🙂 well till I realised it’s too flimsy/twisty/fragile feeling etc etc !!

It’s a Scott Scale RC frame, you know the WC proven XC race rocket with a rigid carbon fork and WC proven wheels, so it ain’t gonna be flimsy and flexy unless you’re some kind of 20st biffer with a penchant for trashing 28 spoke wheels ‘cos they’re like 150g’s lighter than ones more suitable’.

monkeyboyjc

Love the bike and the details….. Hate the colour.

cookeaa

social media following

I take it all back, there can be no higher recommendation than lots of throwaway insta-likes from people with a passing interest in bicycles and at least one working thumb…

I shall rush out and bodge myself a #Gravel-MTB forthwith…

It’s a Scott Scale RC frame, you know the WC proven XC race rocket with a rigid carbon fork and WC proven wheels, so it ain’t gonna be flimsy and flexy unless you’re some kind of 20st biffer with a penchant for trashing 28 spoke wheels ‘cos they’re like 150g’s lighter than ones more suitable’.

So still not a #Grrrravel bike then.
    It is a mountain bike, for XC racing, re-purposed as a Blingy hybrid?
    And there’s a “No fatties” policy for this new Insta-Gravel-MTB niche? They would ruin the photo’s I suppose…

In fairness It’s probably not a bad bikepacking type setup with it’s Trek fork and luggage rack… Apart from all the other parts.

bumpy
    Free Member

I like that. It’s nice to see someone doing something a bit different. Then again, I ride a gravel bike that’s now got flat bars so what do I know?

I’m sure it cost a packet to build but in fairness, the same goes for a few people here’s bikes at a guess.

ElShalimo

he’s the guy that did the white Scott Spark – the one that looked like it belonged to the Snow Queen or a bride

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/dangerholm-scott-hyper-spark/

isitafox
    Free Member

I like it but the fact the wheels have a rider/luggage weight limit of 95kg made me chuckle.

Similar story here though of rigid mtb running carbon forks (On-One Big Dog so no lightweight) for mixing in a bit of road with some trails. Did a quick 14 miler the other day up Beet Lane and round South Head then down into Hayfield and back to Chapel via the Sett Valley Trail, Canal and Eccles Pike.

chrismac

Looks like mountain bikes of 25 years ago. 1.9 tyres and no suspension

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Seen this custom gravel/MTB yet?’ is closed to new replies.