Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Secondhand Carbon Frames – What to look for ?
  • walowiz

Am about to purchase an (expensive for me) 2nd hand carbon frame – can see from the pics no dings, dents, usual few scratches etc. Frame is just over a year-ish old and looks mint – from what I can see.

I’ve bought 2nd hand carbon complete bikes before, without any hassle – as the bike in question looked like it had never been ridden. Previously bought an On-One C456 which was good, but a lot less money if it turned out to be a lemon than the frame I’m buying this time round.

Apart from the usual visual checks, is there anything else to look out for ? This frame & shock combo is over £1k and I’d really like to be careful.

Trimix
    Free Member

Basically you need to check if its cracked. Id try twisiting it up/down, left/right and listen out for creaks. Check it over visually very carefully, look where the tubes join others for cracks. Take the back wheel out and pull / push the rear triangle.

Ive got two carbon bikes (YT Capra and Jeffsey) carbon is pretty tough stuff.

walowiz

thanks trimix, will check it out visually very carefully and do as you’ve suggested.

Just had it confirmed that the frame / bike is just over a year old.

damascus
    Free Member

Remove the stickers and frame protection if you can to check. Look for cracks along the joints.

When ever I buy a full bike I do as above, stand in pedals etc and push, pull and listen. A bit more difficult when just a frame but at least you have better access.

Can the warranty be transferred?

walowiz

Can the warranty be transferred?

That’s a really good question. Bought as a complete bike, sort of split and the frame & shock sold separately, would the frame still be under manufacturer warranty ?

I suspect that the answer is no, as it’s now “not the same as when purchased”

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve never really worried about it beyond a visual inspection, same as an aluminium bike. If you can’t see any obvious damage then there’s not much to worry about. And, unlike an aluminium bike, if some damage does become apparent it’s feasible, and pretty cheap, to repair.

footflaps

Watch this from 5:00 onwards. Carbon frames can be very tough!

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

walowiz

quick update to this.

Thanks for all the advice and footflaps: that vid is reassuring.

Bought the frame, looked mint, well protected and sound. Now on the hunt for forks and drivetrain.

duncancallum

What frame is it. Time has some 29er lyricks for sale on here?

tomhoward

I suspect that the answer is no,

Correct. You aren’t the original owner. (some let you transfer, the VAST majority don’t.)

walowiz

What frame is it. Time has some 29er lyricks for sale on here?

Scott Genius 2018

walowiz

Correct. You aren’t the original owner. (some let you transfer, the VAST majority don’t.)

It was a long shot and I didn’t expect the warranty to pass to me, when the bike has been partially split and sold.

Paradiso
    Free Member

Beyond a visual inspection, there’s not a lot you can do at the point of sale. If there is evidence of damage, repairers sometimes tap them to test for a change in tone/sound. I’ve just bought a second hand carbon Yeti frame. If it breaks I’ll have to arrange repair or scrap it. It’s quite liberating that I’ll know that It’ll be my responsibility. I’ve had a Genesis Grapil break, as have many others, 2 carbon Saracen Kili Flyer frames, albeit in different ways, and a carbon Saracen Mantra frame. The aggravation, time and disappointment of repeated warranty claims might be the reason why I’d be happy to shoulder the responsibility myself.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Munrobiker said.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Secondhand Carbon Frames – What to look for ?’ is closed to new replies.