Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Second router weirdness
  • v8ninety

I’m trying to set up a second (old) router to extend the Wi-Fi in our weird shaped house. I’ve bought some power line adapters, and I’ve plugged the router in. Oddly, it now works, using its original name and password. I don’t think it was meant to… To get it working as the same network, is it as ‘simple’ as changing the network name and password to clone the primary router, or will that cause all kinds of badness? A guide I read confused the hell out of me by talking about channels and static IP adresses and all sorts of other stuff that I didn’t really understand. Could somebody please ‘idiot guide’ me as to what I need to do and preferably what the terminology actually means? Thanks in advance…  👍🏼

wwaswas

Is it a ‘proper’ router or a hub that also connects to the web as well as acting as a router?

trailwagger
    Free Member

If it was me, I would keep the SSID as separate on the two routers, that way you can easily tell which one you connected to. Channels should also be separate.

v8ninety

Is it a ‘proper’ router or a hub that also connects to the web as well as acting as a router?

Lol, I have no idea! It’s a Dlink 3680 if that’s any use?

If it was me, I would keep the SSID as separate on the two routers, that way you can easily tell which one you connected to. Channels should also be separate.

i can see how that would be good, but I’m trying to set up an echo dot in the kids room and apparently separate SSIDs will cause an issue. Otherwise yeah, job done.

wwaswas

So it used to have the telephone line connected to it?

Have you switched it to operate as just a router (assumign it’s possible)?

I’d just give it the same network name etc and if it’s operating as a proper router it’ll be transparent to devices that connect to it.

scaredypants

try reading something like this, or search for some similar terms:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=65327.0

Cougar

Return the powerlines and buy ones with a built-in Wi-Fi AP.  It’ll be a bit more expensive but a lot less pain.

trailwagger
    Free Member

i can see how that would be good, but I’m trying to set up an echo dot in the kids room and apparently separate SSIDs will cause an issue. Otherwise yeah, job done.

In that case forget the second router, (which is a bad idea anyway really) and get yourself a mesh wifi network, much better all around as you can roam around the house and seamlessly move from one AP to the next.

tintim

Unless you have LAN & wireless networking knowledge I would recommend staying clear of using a secondary router. You will open yourself up to a world of pain such as duplicate IP’s, gateways and overlapping channels on your wireless.

This chap does a good job of illustrating what you need to do to get two routers working together. I wouldn’t suggest this is for a novice though  https://youtu.be/J5QJb3O19zI

v8ninety

Trying to use stuff I’ve already got Coug, but that’s not a bad option.

Those wifi mesh thingies look ideal but 100 plus quid, ouch.

That video looks like exactly what I ant to do. I’ll have a go tomorrow. Worst case is a back to square one situation. Fingers crossed, will report back tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas and links, all.

Unless you have LAN & wireless networking knowledge I would recommend staying clear of using a secondary router.

I haven’t, but I quite enjoy learning. Was hoping for a nudge in the right direction, which I’ve received, thanks!

Cougar

If you want a nudge, disable DHCP on the second router and add its MAC address to the reserved IP addresses list on the first.

I still say you’re better off getting the right kit for the job though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Second router weirdness’ is closed to new replies.