Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Second hand Renault ZOE?
  • oldtennisshoes

Thinking about a second hand one for Mrs OTS (15 plate). It would be the 22kw battery with the nominal 100 miles range. Looks reasonably priced even with the battery rental on top.

Will still have the STW sanctioned Eurobarge for longer trips.

legend
    Free Member

How much is the battery rental? Last time I looked I’m sure the rental cost slightly more than I currently spend on petrol

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Same for me!

mulacs

interested – where’s the best place to look for deals and options? Sorry V lazy I know but if someone has any good sources or reading to share … thanks!

legend
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware, there are no deals or options (assuming your talking about the batteries still), just this: https://www.renault.co.uk/renault-finance/battery-hire.html

simon_g

On 6000 miles a year, battery rental at £59pm is £708 a year. On current fuel prices that’s like a 48ish mpg petrol car, or a 52ish mpg diesel.

Easy enough to do those numbers on long runs, but not for typical “small car” usage – short trips from cold, traffic, etc – particularly with an automatic. Those other cars wouldn’t warm themselves up on your driveway before you set off either.

Cheaper to buy than an equivalent year/miles automatic Clio too. Also been looking at them as a local runabout alongside a bigger car for the long trips with lots of stuff.

Worth doing the sums against running costs of similar Leaf – you’ll pay more up front but not have the battery rental (although there are some about on a similar scheme), depending on how long you intend to keep it may work out better.

BlobOnAStick

Factored in cost of charging point?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You need to add in the cost of actually charging the battery as well.

simon_g

Charging cost dependent on your electricity tariff but about £133 a year to do 6000 miles if you have Economy 7 and charge overnight. If you’re on flat rate on a competitive tariff then about £220.

Fitting a charging point is subsidised by the government, expect to pay about £150 as long as you don’t have a complicated install.

goldfish24

i bought one second hand and love it. Lovely way to get around. You’ll use it more then you imagine. Check the Zoe section of the speak EV forum for more info.

winston
    Free Member

I’d be careful about running a Zoe out of warranty. There are a lot of posts on speakEV about its ‘stop engine failure’ error message and the amount of money that is costing to fix.

bikebouy
    Free Member

On 6000 miles a year, battery rental at £59pm is £708 a year. On current fuel prices that’s like a 48ish mpg petrol car, or a 52ish mpg diesel.

😳🤡

Whassapointman?

sockpuppet

The point is that the bottom line isn’t the full story.

electric cars can be “better” but it’s difficult to know. “Cheaper” is a troublesome metric, since overt and implicit taxes and subsidies skew the true assessment.

”carbon” is thorny too, sine the power could be (but likely isn’t) sustainable-generated.

then you have “whole-life impact” and who the hell knows about that once you factor in build, running and disposal.

i like the idea, and think EVs could well be the solution for most miles for most people, but the case isn’t proven yet.

And “cheaper” shouldn’t be the sole criterion.

jairaj

You also have a much lower initial cost as you are not buying the battery so you can pick up a fairly new car for around £5-7K.

You also don’t have to worry about battery problems.  If it depletes beyond a certain amount think 70% they will repair the faulty cells or change the battery for free.

I think the Renault system works well for low mileage / short journey cases.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks all, having got some quotes for a couple of other optons, the ZOE looks like it could be a goer. Need to drive one first though.

convert

I’m hoping for the day when a twizzy style ‘car’ makes sense for most people’s second car rather than a zoe. I’d want one like a twizzy but more weatherproof. But also an infrastructure with plentiful  twizzy style car only parking in dinky bays and twizzys as the largest private vehicles permitted within city centres. Without the preferential infrastructure it doesn’t really make sense just yet.

simon_g

Whassapointman?

As I say, it’s down to usage whether it stacks up. Nothing short of hybrids will do close to those figures for typical “second car” stuff – shorter runs to work, shops, running kids about, etc. Everyone loves to see big mpg figures after a long steady motorway run, look at long term averages for most people and they’re way lower.

Most compelling thing for me is how they drive. Super quiet and refined, loads of grunt from zero rpm, just incredibly relaxing if you have to spend any time in traffic.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh, I don’t disagree with the choice.

But comparative analysis with Deisel and Petrol cars  makes it look rather odd when you can buy a 2yr old Clio petrol for £6k.

All without the charging/battery issues stated above.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want one.  I’d put up with somewhat higher running costs too for environmental benefit and ease of driving.

andybrad

id like one but its currently cheaper for me to buy, run, tax (550 a year) my 13mpg petrol car.

which is a shame……

its the battery rental that puts me off as i see it as a requirement. i cant imagine the cost of replacing one!

Daffy

Youll get a 2016 Leaf witha a fully owned battery for £12k and also have a manufacturers extendible warranty.

granny_ring

I was speaking to a guy earlier this year about his tesla and the batteries on that. 8 year warranty on those. But €30000 to replace them out of warranty 😮

I know it’s the higher end of market but it makes me wonder about the second hand values of electric cars and running costs.

alpin
    Free Member

I’m hoping for the day when a twizzy style ‘car’ makes sense for most people’s second car rather than a zoe. I’d want one like a twizzy but more weatherproof. But also an infrastructure with plentiful  twizzy style car only parking in dinky bays and twizzys as the largest private vehicles permitted within city centres. Without the preferential infrastructure it doesn’t really make sense just yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_car

martymac

Convert, i agree, we need to get used to cars being a lot smaller and lighter imo.

can’t see it happening though.

nixie

While the mpg comparison isn’t that great there can be other benefits. E.g. the Southampton City centre parking permits attract a 90% discount (off £1.5k) for pure Evs and you get charging points.

tjagain

I want one. I’d put up with somewhat higher running costs too for environmental benefit and ease of driving.

there is not really any environmental benefit.  Power is 70% ish fossil fuel and then you have the environmental penalty of the battery which is high.  NO emissions at the tailpipe sure – but lifetime environmental cost?  I doubt much different from a conventional car.  the main advantage comes if its smaller and lighter and longerlasting and highly recyclable

matt_outandabout

the main advantage comes if its smaller and lighter and longerlasting and highly recyclable the car manufacturers sell more new cars

Ftfy

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I follow a couple of guys on Youtube who buy Teslas and repair them etc.  The first batch are now coming to the end of their eight year factory warranty and they have worked out that you can expect to spend half the value of the car in repairs over the following twelve months. Reliability of Teslas in particular is incredibly poor but the exceptional warranty makes up for it – right till the point is runs out which is happening now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Second hand Renault ZOE?’ is closed to new replies.